Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
Let's look at who our wannabe rivals appoint in reverse order.

City since the money
Pep worlds no.1 coach
Peregrini- ranked extremely highly
Mincini - had the rep and the image for champions
Hughes - think that idiot pre dated the money

Chelsea
Tuchel - freebie but has had admirers around Europe and manages massive clubs
Lampard-lol
Sarri - mental but coveted. Paid a buy out fee
Conte - serial winner. I want him at Spurs.
Mourinho - no comments needed
AVB - was at the time one of the most coveted in Europe. Fraud.
Ancelotti - won it all as a player and coach in Italy
Scolari - WC winner and nut case
Mourinho at his peak

Man United post Fergie
OGS - was a caretaker but did OK so stayed.
Mourinho - apparently made for United
LVG - won everywhere. Been sacked everywhere.
Moves. Lol. They thought he would be there 30 years like Fergie

We need to forget who has been where. We need to act like a big club and get/try to get coaches from the top table, not fucking nobodies with Xg deficiencies.

With a back 3 of who? Dier, Sanchez, and Toby? I still rate Toby but that is not something that fills me with confidence...
I meant more so in front of the CBs. Think of how much better guys like Regy, Sessegnon and Doherty fit as wingbacks rather than fullbacks.

With respect to our CBs, the guys we have now don't fit in either a back 4 or a back 3. We're going to need huge investment there regardless of the system.

Let's look at who our wannabe rivals appoint in reverse order.

City since the money
Pep worlds no.1 coach
Peregrini- ranked extremely highly
Mincini - had the rep and the image for champions
Hughes - think that idiot pre dated the money

Chelsea
Tuchel - freebie but has had admirers around Europe and manages massive clubs
Lampard-lol
Sarri - mental but coveted. Paid a buy out fee
Conte - serial winner. I want him at Spurs.
Mourinho - no comments needed
AVB - was at the time one of the most coveted in Europe. Fraud.
Ancelotti - won it all as a player and coach in Italy
Scolari - WC winner and nut case
Mourinho at his peak

Man United post Fergie
OGS - was a caretaker but did OK so stayed.
Mourinho - apparently made for United
LVG - won everywhere. Been sacked everywhere.
Moves. Lol. They thought he would be there 30 years like Fergie

We need to forget who has been where. We need to act like a big club and get/try to get coaches from the top table, not fucking nobodies with Xg deficiencies.
I literally don't get what your point is here.

"We need to act like a big club". So you would move heaven and earth to hire OGS, Pirlo?

Most of the names you list are shit and/or we hired!

I meant more so in front of the CBs. Think of how much better guys like Regy, Sessegnon and Doherty fit as wingbacks rather than fullbacks.

With respect to our CBs, the guys we have now don't fit in either a back 4 or a back 3. We're going to need huge investment there regardless of the system.

I'd agree that theoretically some of our players may do better in a slightly different role, but my entire point is that Conte seems like another attempt to squeeze more juice out of the lemon we have in this team.

Some of our players just aren't good enough, and maybe it is just my general frustration with Levy but I equate a Conte appointment to be too similar to the Jose one. Same logic with maybe better results.

I am sorry but we would need a serious change from Levy and Lewis here. Conte gets pissed off at much freer spending clubs/boards than us, we had better be prepared to season in season out match the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea on spending and transfers or this could go south quickly.

Conte is a better manager than Jose IMO but people have reservations for similar reasons and they are good fucking reasons. No more player haggling, we buy the best, we sell even if we make a loss. A total change in approach.
Is this is the same Conte that got Bari a championship and then got Siena promoted? Followed by 3 consecutive titles at Juve?
Then got a PL title and an FA cup with Chelski?
Seria A title with Inter?
Whe on earth would we want serial loser like him? Ridiculous.....

Last edited:
Is this is the same Conte that got Bari a championship and then got Siena promoted? Followed by 3 consecutive titles at Juve?
Why on earth would we want aerial loser like him? Ridiculous.....

Jose’s successes where also great although further back. Just getting someone with a CV is not necessarily the answer, we have issues and we need the best fit for the club. This is not Hollywood, you don’t just pick a big name and that be that.

I do not think that Conte is coming and he goes against everything I have said I want in a new manager, but I won't lie that seeing the links got me a little excited.

I am not as worried about the Paratici possibility either because he would be brought into to be Conte's man in transfers, not really a guy to decide the whole direction of the club. Since he has a relationship with Conte and likely knows what he wants his role would be much different than what he did at Juve. If we were just brining him in and not Conte then it would be a big pass.

As others have said his 3-5-2 system fits us somewhat, at least as much as anything can. Bring in 2-3 new CB's, Bissouma in MF, Celik as RB then all we really need is back-up strikers and AM's. I know that is still a lot but not impossible.

That being said I still think it doesn't happen.

Why on earth would we want aerial loser like him? Ridiculous.....
Yeah but can he do it on a cold wet Thursday night in Azerbaijan, and if you think he could, could he also do it with Dier and Sanchez in defence? :memeokay:

Inter were average when he went there two years ago, never been in the top 3 since Jose left nearly 10 years ago
Also, Inter are a very toxic and difficult club to work for, and this Serie A title (after 9 years of Juve dominance) is the first serious Serie A trophy they won since 1989. The ones won in this century were all one horse races , for different reasons

Maybe I'm just a little cynical at the moment, but I don't see the point in Conte with the team we currently have. He might be a good coach but feels like we will get the same result from him as we got from Jose.

Until this team gets a refresh, any incoming coach is going to struggle to get significant results out of them. So, if a rebuild is what we really need, isn't bringing in a Conte and not a potentially longer-term coach that can instill a new vision literally just Jose part 2?

Maybe it is my dislike of Jose but I don't think him and Conte are all that similar and there is no way Jose could have got close to the results that Conte got at Inter last season.

Conte seems to be more willing and able to adapt and use players that aren't all world class. The Inter team certainly has talent but it was far from a super team and Conte got a lot of guys to play a lot better than their talent would have suggested prior to the season. At Chelsea he did the same thing with some of the guys there. I am not sure we have seen that from Jose while with us or at United.

I don't think that means that Conte would work here, and do still think we need a refresh, but I would trust Conte to make things work with some of the guys we have compared to Jose.

It's not about Conte and levy getting on. Conte doesn't/hasn't got on with ANY of his club owners.

We have an opportunity right now, that opportunity is called a blank piece of paper. A time for serious reflection of how our football operations work. A chance to take stock of what has worked and what has failed. A chance to push the reset button and address and eliminate the errors and focus back on the things that went right.

It's fair to say that most people reviewing Spurs now can identify the biggest flaw/mistake was to hire a dinosaur, a man whose football was so out of date that he made Pullis & Warnock alternatives. It is THIS error of judgement that has to be eradicated. It's not even that it was Mourinho that was hired, it was the philosophy of his football that was chosen. It showed a total lack of understanding of football, of what other elite teams around the world were playing. It was evidence that we need a SERIOUSLY GOOD DOF, with a strategy, a philosophy/an identity that is in line with how the game is played and dominated by the Elite Clubs.

Conte is a fantastic coach, I think his football is shit but unlike the Dinosaur, he's a better and more relevant coach.

BUT the coach shouldn't be hiring the DoF!

If Levy's going for a DoF, then great but we should be hunting the best there is, the most relevant for Tottenham. Not a guy that went to Ronaldo in a zimmer frame and Pirlo as a coach. What is Paratici's footballing philosophy? What do we know about him?

That fact he's a DoF doesn't make him a good one, just as Mourinho is no longer a decent football manager.

I agree we should get a DoF and he should make the management call but if we did get Conte I tend to think him and Levy would be an explosive relationship to say the least.

From the outside it looks like Levy and Lewis are the problem. It’s not just money (although that is part of it) it’s other issues

1 we go from different manager style to another with no coherent view about who we are as a club. Poch to Jose, Redknapp to AVB

2 we don’t sell deadwood unless we get the price Levy wants thus they stay in the squad and the squad gets stale

3 we don’t buy in any coherent way, as a team what the fuck are we?

Hiring a dinosaur like Jose, that is down to Levy. He is just not good enough, he is a great businessman but he knows Jack shit about football, everything is piecemeal about how we do things. Why can’t he just fucking hire a DoF and step back.

Back
Top Bottom