Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
Doubting that Conte will come given Ali Golds latest QA. Basically unless something big changed we aren't interested and also said we are skint for the forseeable.

Basically someone on a free who will take what they are told this Summer.
On a free? Gold is saying we are negotiating with another club to release our target

Maybe I'm just a little cynical at the moment, but I don't see the point in Conte with the team we currently have. He might be a good coach but feels like we will get the same result from him as we got from Jose.

Until this team gets a refresh, any incoming coach is going to struggle to get significant results out of them. So, if a rebuild is what we really need, isn't bringing in a Conte and not a potentially longer-term coach that can instill a new vision literally just Jose part 2?
Conte is a coach who builds and instills a vision, he's just so good he does it really quickly.

Ali Gold is currently doing a q&a for Football London, this was his response to Conte:

“Unless something has changed drastically in the past 24 hours
The heart of the question is whether Spurs are willing to deviate from what has clearly been a very structured, systematic process for a late-breaking opportunity.

Conte wasn't on the list, because why would anyone think we could get him? Well, here we are.

Maybe I'm just a little cynical at the moment, but I don't see the point in Conte with the team we currently have. He might be a good coach but feels like we will get the same result from him as we got from Jose.

Until this team gets a refresh, any incoming coach is going to struggle to get significant results out of them. So, if a rebuild is what we really need, isn't bringing in a Conte and not a potentially longer-term coach that can instill a new vision literally just Jose part 2?
I think his 3-5-2 system fits our squad really well actually.

I think his 3-5-2 system fits our squad really well actually.
It's slightly galaxy brained to say "our CB's stink so let's put more of them in the XI", but I actually tend to agree that there's a lot that makes sense about going to a back 3.

Suddenly Doherty has a place. PEH is potentially more viable as a 6 in that system. That ought to make the most of Reguilon and Sessegnon. Etc.

I really like AG and think he is definitely the most reliable 'ITK' (if you wanna call him that) we have. That being said, I do recall him saying in one of his videos about a month before Poch was sacked (when the JM rumours were starting to circulate) that he couldn't see JM being someone the Club would go for because of the way Levy operated and that JM would be looking too much money and he understand he wasn't of interest.

It seems the Club trust him with a lot of information but he has admittedly said they have kept their cards close to their chest with this and he may be more in the dark about the whole thing than he would lead us to believe.

I agree, I would take a lot of what the journo’s are saying (including AG) with a pinch of salt. They can’t say yes or no to anyone because in reality, they just don’t know who it’ll be

Conte is a coach who builds and instills a vision, he's just so good he does it really quickly.

He hasn't stayed anywhere as coach for more than two years except for a three year stint at Juve, how much can he actually build with the amount of dead weight we currently have in two years?

Could he come in and implement a new system and build some belief in the side and get some better results, most likely, but it also feels like another attempt to squeeze more production out of the same group of players. We need a bigger shakeup and this is another high-paid coach to try to accomplish what we wanted from Jose, and kicking the can further down the road in rebuilding the team.

Clearly our CBs need an overhaul. And that's true with either 4 or 5 at the back.

But if 5 at the back makes Aurier and Regui maximize their talents, and minimize their defensive weakness, then clearly that's a better system for us.

I also suspect with a 3-5-2 we might finally see the best of Ndombele and Lo Celso. Even if we sell one of them, I don't see us selling both. That's a lot of investment we can still see come good.

Fix our right wing, fix our CBs, and bring in one more talented midfielder and with a proper coach like Conte we have a top 4 contender who can win cups. That's the best we can hope for this summer.

Getting a DoF that Conte likes would make me feel a lot better about his appointment I will say that. A layer between Conte and Levy.

If and that’s a big if we get a DoF and he has full control to support Conte I will support getting Conte. Has to be done properly.

I don’t know loads about this guy, but some of the business/policies Juve have done - players and coaches - the last few years has been horrendous, worse than us in as much as they dominated sérieA for years and have managed to fuck it up drastically, on the pitch and off.

And yet I would still be more happy having someone Conte likes rather than a direct line to Levy. Can’t see a direct Conte Levy relationship working at all’s. Doesn’t have to be this guy but someone.
It's not about Conte and levy getting on. Conte doesn't/hasn't got on with ANY of his club owners.

We have an opportunity right now, that opportunity is called a blank piece of paper. A time for serious reflection of how our football operations work. A chance to take stock of what has worked and what has failed. A chance to push the reset button and address and eliminate the errors and focus back on the things that went right.

It's fair to say that most people reviewing Spurs now can identify the biggest flaw/mistake was to hire a dinosaur, a man whose football was so out of date that he made Pullis & Warnock alternatives. It is THIS error of judgement that has to be eradicated. It's not even that it was Mourinho that was hired, it was the philosophy of his football that was chosen. It showed a total lack of understanding of football, of what other elite teams around the world were playing. It was evidence that we need a SERIOUSLY GOOD DOF, with a strategy, a philosophy/an identity that is in line with how the game is played and dominated by the Elite Clubs.

Conte is a fantastic coach, I think his football is shit but unlike the Dinosaur, he's a better and more relevant coach.

BUT the coach shouldn't be hiring the DoF!

If Levy's going for a DoF, then great but we should be hunting the best there is, the most relevant for Tottenham. Not a guy that went to Ronaldo in a zimmer frame and Pirlo as a coach. What is Paratici's footballing philosophy? What do we know about him?

That fact he's a DoF doesn't make him a good one, just as Mourinho is no longer a decent football manager.

Last edited:
The fact that Conte is leaving Inter is practically sure by the way it's been reported everywhere
Whether he would be interested in joining us to me it's an entirely different matter

Pay Me Kim Kardashian GIF by GQ

Why would Conte come to us now, when we're in such a mess?

He's at his peak, he will go for a project where he can win something more important than the Europa Conference League.
Inter were average when he went there two years ago, never been in the top 3 since Jose left nearly 10 years ago

Back
Top Bottom