Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
As I think I made clear, there were throw away mentions right at the beginning and nothing of note since.

If you want to be pedantic about it, yes there were links, but nothing like there were to every other option.

Sounds like its been a complete circus, I dont deny that. The only point Ive made which you seem to be taking exception to is the idea its Pariticis choice - which at this point seems pretty obvious doesnt it?

Hitchens seemingly wanted Potter/Ten Hag then it got binned because Poch was an option, then we jumped to Conte - then we brought in Paritici and essentially started again - is how it seems to have gone.
I dare say Paratici is involved but solely his choice, nah. Anyway lest we forget he appointed Pirlo. They were only throw away mentions because everyone thought it was his people linking him with the job and no one believed we would be so daft. Clearly there was truth in it. Again weeks before Paratici.

If this appointment happens, the only thing it shows is Levys total lack of ambition.

He's free
He's cheap
He'll work with dross
He'll be out of a job again in a year

Kind of reminds me of Ashley hiring Bruce after Benitez. Seems to be the death knell.

Last edited:
Do you really believe Paritici had Fonseca as first choice over Conte?

I have no idea, and havent said as much. Only that it looks like Pariticis choice.

I dare say Paratici is involved but solely his choice, nah. Anyway lest we forget he appointed Pirlo. They were only throw away mentions because everyone thought it was his people linking him with the job and no one believed we would be so daft. Clearly there was truth in it. Again weeks before Paratici.
Speculating, of course, but if I were to say what I think is happening - I think we are getting back to the old model like we had with Arnesen. Levy sets a budget/parameters/goal and the DoF works with that.

Fonseca, to me, looks far more "coach" than "manager", for example - and looks to me like the sort of choice a DoF would make.

There were links to Fonseca early on, same as there were links to every available manager, but IMO none substantive - and its telling they didnt persist like ETH/Conte/Poch etc.

I will just quote this post to address a few points you have raised in the thread overall. I am not a Potterite, although did see him as the best of the 2nd tier choices- after Conte, Poch, Nagelsmann and ETH. And I was a very vocal poster about wanting a DOF.

I will address the DOF first. I very much wanted a DOF to remove Levy from the footballing decisions, but that doesn't mean that I have to just accept anyone and be happy. I had reservations about Paratici from the moment he was brought and was happy with it if paired with Conte because it would be Conte driving the bus and would take away a major concern with Paratici which was managerial hires. I don't think that I then have to be quiet just because a DOF was hired or back his hire just because I wanted a DOF.

Paratici had a lot of success when working under Marotta. Once Marotta left and Paratici was on his own he hired Sarri for a year which seemed like a bad fit but they had success because of the strength of the Juve team. The next year he hired Pirlo which was a terrible hire and made no sense from say 1. They had their worst season in years as well. Meanwhile Marotta went to Inter where they won the league. I think there are plenty of reasons to be skeptical about how much of Paratici's success was due to him having Marotta above him and that he deserves a lot of suspicion when it comes to his decisions as a DOF especially managerial hires when his previous two were pretty poor.

Now we get to Fonseca vs. Potter. I think you are misunderstanding or misrepresenting the argument for Potter. It isn't that his xG is so high, it is that it is so much higher than his actual results and when you watch his team play it is explained by watching the player constantly miss chances. There is a lot of reason to think that with better players his system would still create the chances but they would get converted at a higher rate meaning the standings would line up better with the high xG. The key is that the eye test of watching them matches up to the xG and there is a clear reason for the difference in xG and standings. With Fonseca at Roma this is not the case at all. The xG lines up with the standings, what you see on the pitch also lines up with what you see in the stats. It is a team that creates and scores a lot of chances but also gives up a shit ton as well. There isn't much reason to think with different players they are better. There is no reason to think if he comes here the results would be different.

This also leads to a big difference and a major issue I have with Fonseca, and in part in comparison to Potter. Roma is team that is similar to Spurs, at least in comparison to its place in the league. Both teams are good but not great teams in the league. They have had success in the past, can compete with the top teams but are not the elite (Inter, AC, Juve vs. City, United, Chelsea). In fact Roma might be the most comparable team in Serie A to us in EPL. Brighton is not that. We have not seen Potter at a team where he has close to the resources of the teams he is going against, maybe the Swedish team did and he got that team much better results than the previous guy. Fonseca got worse results at Roma than they had in the 5-10 years before him. At Porto he took a 1st place team 3 years running and brought them down to 3rd. They returned to top of the league shortly after. Yes at Shaktar he won with a dominant team but that is one good performance with a stacked team out of 3 at biggish jobs, not good.

Yes the Roma job was tough but it seems very similar to us. Restrictions in money compared to rivals, tough ownership, lesser players. He did poorly with all that. Even taking into to consideration all the issues nobody can say he did well.

It is possible that Potter would have had similar poor results but he has yet to have them, with Fonseca we have seen what he can do with a team like Spurs and it is not impressive at all. It seems clear to me that he needs to go somewhere else to prove that he can do a good job rather than fail at his previous job and move to a similiar, or what I would say is a better, job.
Top post, well done

I’m not too fussed on Fonseca. We’re a weird club. Maybe it will work. Let’s see.

What I *am* concerned about is selling players. I want a clear out. Far more important.
Couldn't agree more,,, but I think Aurier might be good in an attacking team, so it's mainly the CBs, and the fodder in MF, but together PEH & Skip might work, dunno what GLC and Ndobby would be like in a full on attack team.

Here’s the test with Fonseca.

West Ham have sacked David Moyes and appointed former Roma Coach Paulo Fonseca.

would you

A) say “well done. Good appointment progressive and impressive”

or

B) head over to the “Let’s all laugh at West Ham thread” and abuse them for being idiotic enough to bin their existing manager for this fucking joke.

Back
Top Bottom