Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
We might be in for Sevilla boss Julen Lopetegui now too....

Losing My Mind GIF

I think obviously any side would be better with better defenders, but the difference for me is that at Brighton Potter is at a club that has a clear talent deficiency based on their finances comapared to the teams around them, at Roma Fonseca doesn't have that issue. Potter coming to Spurs is going to give him better attackers no doubt, Fonseca coming from Roma is not giving him better defenders necessarily because it is more of a sideways move.

It also seems to be more of a tactical set up for Fonseca rather than a well organized team that is let down by individuals like has happened with Brighton.

For me at Roma Fonseca has had many more resources and players to fix the issue that Potter has not had at Brighton.
Going by Whoscored there teams' weakness is exactly being let down by "individual errors" (I don't hold any school in whoscored rating etc but they said this too about Brighton so at least there's a level of consistency).

So their defence was supposed to be built around Chris Smalling, I'm pausing here for dramatic effect, yes I said Chris Smalling was supposed to be the lynchpin of defence but he got injured, they've had it appears many injuries with their defenders this season, including goalkeepers so our Pau Lopez has significant mins.

Fazio 34yrs 407min
Spinazzola 28yrs 2130 (Midfielder turned WB) whenever I've seen them play (about 4 times) he's looked good
Mancini (any relation??) 25yrs 2855mins (CB)
Ibanez 22yrs 2402 mins (CB)
Smalling 31yrs 1110mins (supposed to be main man but injured)
Crisanti 26yrs 2149min (supposed to be Smalling's CB partner I think but also got injured)
Karsdrop 26yrs (Midfielder covering RB 6 times and CB once)
Kumbulla 21yrs 1364mins (younger than Tanganga!!) (CB)
Bruno Perez 31yrs 1418mins (not a defender, being asked to cover BOTH LB & RB making 16 sub-apps only starting 2 games)

Sorry, but I don't see this as a talented defensive group? Barely an international cap from that lot.

100% I get the financial disparity, it's significant but smaller than the difference between Spurs and Woolwich when Poch took over.

Going by Whoscored there teams' weakness is exactly being let down by "individual errors" (I don't hold any school in whoscored rating etc but they said this too about Brighton so at least there's a level of consistency).

So their defence was supposed to be built around Chris Smalling, I'm pausing here for dramatic effect, yes I said Chris Smalling was supposed to be the lynchpin of defence but he got injured, they've had it appears many injuries with their defenders this season, including goalkeepers so our Pau Lopez has significant mins.

Fazio 34yrs 407min
Spinazzola 28yrs 2130 (Midfielder turned WB) whenever I've seen them play (about 4 times) he's looked good
Mancini (any relation??) 25yrs 2855mins (CB)
Ibanez 22yrs 2402 mins (CB)
Smalling 31yrs 1110mins (supposed to be main man but injured)
Crisanti 26yrs 2149min (supposed to be Smalling's CB partner I think but also got injured)
Karsdrop 26yrs (Midfielder covering RB 6 times and CB once)
Kumbulla 21yrs 1364mins (younger than Tanganga!!) (CB)
Bruno Perez 31yrs 1418mins (not a defender, being asked to cover BOTH LB & RB making 16 sub-apps only starting 2 games)

Sorry, but I don't see this as a talented defensive group? Barely an international cap from that lot.

100% I get the financial disparity, it's significant but smaller than the difference between Spurs and Woolwich when Poch took over.

I will say right off the bat that for me Potter is clearly a 2nd tier choice that I would have plenty of questions about so even if after all this all that we agree on is that Fonseca is an equal choice, I don't see him as being close to that, it still for me would be a meh hire at best.

I don't think their defense was full of world beaters but neither is ours. Outside of Toby, who has to at some point drop off due to age, none of those guys seem worse than Dier, Rodon, Sanchez. And we haven't seen any links to us getting better CB's either, Andersen fits right in with the meh they have. So by coming to us it isn't like he is going from Maupay/Welbeck to Kane/Son like Potter would.

The other thing I would say is that whether you believe it or not many people comment on how Brighton are flubbing chances they should score. It is a widely held belief. When reading, and in my limited watching of Roma, I don't see/hear those same types of comments blaming individual errors. Even his big supporters seem to agree that his teams are a little naive/soft at the back based on tactics and set up not individuals set up right but not being good enough.

My other concern with him that may be relevant to his set up defensively is how easily they get beat when facing better competition. I don't have the stats but they were posted and they were bad against the top teams in Serie A. And then in Europa they got dominated by Ajax, but were lucky to get away with the win and then dominated again by United. It might just mean that they didn't have the talent but also concerning that they seem to be so poor, especially defensive when facing those top teams.

Not at the level that these guys are at no.

So you honestly think that Spurs will go this far down the path to bringing him in and then back out for ? All the reliable reports say that he is the top choice of Paratici. This situation is nothing like the Conte one.

I hope you are right I just see zero reason to think this isn't going to happen. And it seems you are basing it on hope and nothing else.
We have NFI how far down the path we are. Or if we're even on the path.
You're basing off the same media outlets that claim all these deals are done and dusted only for for not to pan out.

OK ENOUGH

We are about to employ a DOF

He has said this Fonseca is the guy

SO I have spent the whole day reading about him etc
His style of football is attacking
He likes attacking full backs
In his last job, he had a change of ownership and lots of useless players, remember Fazio ?

Surely the bigger job is getting rid of the dross and signing some genuine decent players like Thuram and Sabitzer, then letting him play his system.
Who knows he may even win us the inaugural European Community League !
that's it pal, either make yourself explode with the anger or hope (and pray) this is the case. How else can you look at it.

We have NFI how far down the path we are. Or if we're even on the path.
You're basing off the same media outlets that claim all these deals are done and dusted only for for not to pan out.

I have yet to see folks like Romano, Gold, Di Marzio say that things are done and dusted for things not to work out. When they say there are talking like they did with Conte and things don't work out that is not nearly the same.

The reports I am basing it off are reliable but I know some people don't understand how these guys work.

I've got less concerns with Fonseca as a coach, tactician, motivator etc as I have with with logic for his appointment and what he would be tasked with doing.

He doesn't strike me in any way shape or form as the person you give the Kane fee and a load more money ontop to. I doubt he'd know anything about any of our existing squad so he'll end up using this coming season to evaluate the utter fucking dogshit we have.
He'll probably get sacked before selling them and we'll repeat the same shit again next time.

This is why someone who knows us and immediately knows a bad player is desperately required. A DoF isn't there to decide who isn't good enough, that's down to the coach.

I'm honestly beginning to think someone Levied, Levy. You can't make this stuff up. He sacks Mo. Everyone knows Levy doesn't do anything without having someone set up. Now he has to hire the coach from the team, that fired our future coach, in order to hire our previous coach.

At least we providing fellow Londoners with entertainment.

I will say right off the bat that for me Potter is clearly a 2nd tier choice that I would have plenty of questions about so even if after all this all that we agree on is that Fonseca is an equal choice, I don't see him as being close to that, it still for me would be a meh hire at best.

I don't think their defense was full of world beaters but neither is ours. Outside of Toby, who has to at some point drop off due to age, none of those guys seem worse than Dier, Rodon, Sanchez. And we haven't seen any links to us getting better CB's either, Andersen fits right in with the meh they have. So by coming to us it isn't like he is going from Maupay/Welbeck to Kane/Son like Potter would.

The other thing I would say is that whether you believe it or not many people comment on how Brighton are flubbing chances they should score. It is a widely held belief. When reading, and in my limited watching of Roma, I don't see/hear those same types of comments blaming individual errors. Even his big supporters seem to agree that his teams are a little naive/soft at the back based on tactics and set up not individuals set up right but not being good enough.

My other concern with him that may be relevant to his set up defensively is how easily they get beat when facing better competition. I don't have the stats but they were posted and they were bad against the top teams in Serie A. And then in Europa they got dominated by Ajax, but were lucky to get away with the win and then dominated again by United. It might just mean that they didn't have the talent but also concerning that they seem to be so poor, especially defensive when facing those top teams.
Again, I'm absolutely in the dark about him, so all my info has come from what I'm reading about him, so please bear this in mind, but I comment merely to have some kind of adult debate about someone rather than what most people seem to be doing which is spitting out their dummies also without having any knowledge to base any opinion off.

Since my post above I've subsequently come across this:

E3d1a-cWUAAlakZ

Which I THINK plays to largely the injury problems he had in defence I was talking about. Basically, their main CB mins came from 2 CB's younger than Tanganga!!! And another who was 26yrs old!! And converted midfielders (and DM's) played as wingbacks!!

Again, no defence of him as I don't know him but the more I read about him the more relaxed I feel about him.

I'll always via towards Potter over him because I've seen him close quarters and nothing of Fonseca, so it's almost impossible for me to change that outlook nothing I've read about him is horrendous and from these readings, I'd say he's in the Potter bracket.

Taking your point about financial disparities then both performed as well as they could given their financial resources perhaps, with Fonseca edging Potter on the basis that he got to an EL semi-final, whereas Potter had zero European games to manage to level the playing field in training/prep and rehab in a season which was already condensed and truncated (perhaps directly contributing to their injury problems??).

Go to about ten minutes in, look how he set them up to play against City and then listem to what Pep has to say?

Interesting.

Very good find! Thanks.

I like the bloke from the video. Intelligent communicator, clearly has a plan with his teams and comments on him being a really good coach bode well.

Lets see what he can do.

Cant be any worse than Dino. Im sure of that!

The true test he has to pass now is whether Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman takes a shine!

Back
Top Bottom