Pre-Season 2021

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As I said in the other pre-season thread I'd much prefer we went back to the old ways of doing pre-season where we went to the likes of Bishops Stortford, Stevenage, Leyton Orient, etc. In pre-season I'd rather see us play non-premier league teams that we usually play and I think it's great for these lower league teams to play a bigger team like us for gate receipts and profile.

As I said in the other pre-season thread I'd much prefer we went back to the old ways of doing pre-season where we went to the likes of Bishops Stortford, Stevenage, Leyton Orient, etc. In pre-season I'd rather see us play non-premier league teams that we usually play and I think it's great for these lower league teams to play a bigger team like us for gate receipts and profile.

It's nice for the reasons you mention, but what's the use of hammering minnows when you've gotta face Pep's Petro Cunts FC on opening day..... Just as well play A team vs B team on the training ground.

There used to be a London FA Challenge Cup up until the mid 70's where all the professional teams put out their first team in the main.

We were the last winners of it in 73-74.

We were second most successful side in it with 8 wins, Woolwich had 11. but a 16 team tourney with Spurs, Woolwich, West Ham, Chelsea, Palace, Fulham, QPR, Brentford, Charlton, Millwall, Orient, Wimbledon, Dagenham, Sutton, Barnet and Wealdstone or maybe extend to Watford etc. would be great.

Also used to be a London Six-a-side competition at Wembley Arena with first team players which stopped in the mid 80's
Used to love that.
Wasn't it broadcast on Sports night, midweek?

First couple of weeks is all about fitness so manager's role is only to say 'Good Morning' until about week 3 when football training becomes the bigger thing on the agenda

Yep its totally normal for a club not to have a manager at the start of pre-season.

In fact it is probably better to have the sports science guys running things than having a pesky manager getting in the way. Another big Levy masterclass.

Yep its totally normal for a club not to have a manager at the start of pre-season.

In fact it is probably better to have the sports science guys running things than having a pesky manager getting in the way. Another big Levy masterclass.

The point is that the Sports scientist guys are pretty much in charge of first couple of weeks - their role ios to assess returning players to see how fit they are and assess what workload to give them for first couple of weeks. That happens regardless of which manager is there - and manager plays little part.

After first week or two sessions gert far more manager input.

Same as injured players - its Sport Scientists physios etc who deal with players - and advise manager when player may be fit.

The point is that the Sports scientist guys are pretty much in charge of first couple of weeks - their role ios to assess returning players to see how fit they are and assess what workload to give them for first couple of weeks. That happens regardless of which manager is there - and manager plays little part.

After first week or two sessions gert far more manager input.

Same as injured players - its Sport Scientists physios etc who deal with players - and advise manager when player may be fit.

I am agreeing with your apologist opinion here. It is great that we don't have a manager now they really do nothing and we are better off without them.

All these crybabies whining about not having a manager have it wrong and you and Levy have it right, no need for a manager right now the sports science guys have it handled.

I am agreeing with your apologist opinion here. It is great that we don't have a manager now they really do nothing and we are better off without them.

All these crybabies whining about not having a manager have it wrong and you and Levy have it right, no need for a manager right now the sports science guys have it handled.

Grow up

If you don't know how pre-season works dont bother posting on it.

Better still learn what it involves eg first thing in pre-season is the players being assessed for fitmess (nothing to do with manager), most players then need a week or two to get up to an acceptible leel of fitness (determined by sport scientist). That's basic knowledge.

Grow up

If you don't know how pre-season works dont bother posting on it.

Better still learn what it involves eg first thing in pre-season is the players being assessed for fitmess (nothing to do with manager), most players then need a week or two to get up to an acceptible leel of fitness (determined by sport scientist). That's basic knowledge.

Grow up?

I have said all along I agree with you. I know how it works which is why other teams just give their managers the first two weeks of pre-season off.

You are right nothing for a manager to do, especially a new manager, it is all just sports science work there a manager would just get in the way.

Back
Top Bottom