Premier League star arrested on suspicion of rape

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry for the offensive "rape " joke, I didnt mean to offend anyone but I thought that was funny as it was a football joke more than a "rape" joke.
Once again, I apologise for those I offended.
This is an odd one. Hear me out. We often say team A lets say Woolwich got murdered. It's objectively even worse but it's rarely picked up. Context is everything and sensitivities are personal. I don't think Peter's joke is funny but I'm not mortally offended. Id go as far as to say it's almost entirely a timing issue, had he made it in the wake of the NLD it lands differently than it does at this precise moment (for obvious reasons).

It certainly is not looking good for one person at the moment.
I just hope lessons are learned and the way this was leaked/handled is thoroughly investigated.

Innocent people should not be forced to defend themselves because of cryptic messages.

All we should have been told is a 29 yo from North London has been arrested on suspicion of rape.

Not a 29 yo premier league footballer, expected to represent his country in Qatar, from Barnet has been arrested for rape,
I think this is the crux of the matter.

Why couldn't they just release that a 29 year old male had been arrested? Why bother saying a 29 year old male who is a premier league footballer from North London?

I'm pretty sure I've never heard that a 29 year old male, who happens to be a plaster and decorator has been arrested.

Why say what his occupation is other than to start a media circus?

Such bad form from the powers that be - whether police or media.

I think this is the crux of the matter.

Why couldn't they just release that a 29 year old male had been arrested? Why bother saying a 29 year old male who is a premier league footballer from North London?

I'm pretty sure I've never heard that a 29 year old male, who happens to be a plaster and decorator has been arrested.

Why say what his occupation is other than to start a media circus?

Such bad form from the powers that be - whether police or media.

It'll be the media.... They'll have had a dig around and then just printed as much as they could legally get away with.

That they're scandal-peddling scum-bags dangling carrots to the scandal-hungry masses should suprise no-one.

It'll be the media.... They'll have had a dig around and then just printed as much as they could legally get away with.

That they're scandal-peddling scum-bags dangling carrots to the scandal hungry masses should suprise no-one.
Then the law needs to be changed.

Then the law needs to be changed.

Which begs the question what law gets changed, how and will it have un-desired impact in other scenarios that aren't at the forefront of our thoughts right now.....?

Freedom of press/media etc. is a delicate, valuable commodity; an essential part of a free, democratic society and would be fought for by the collective media for all they are worth.

.....This much we've seen before when these freedoms are brought into question.

Which begs the question what law gets changed, how and will it have un-desired impact in other scenarios that aren't at the forefront of our thoughts right now.....?

Freedom of press/media etc. is a delicate, valuable commodity; an essential part of a free, democratic society and would be fought for by the collective media for all they are worth.

.....This much we've seen before when these freedoms are brought into question.
Okay

How about

Age and gender are the only details allowed to be released.

That's not going to impact the "freedom of the press" is it?

Okay

How about

Age and gender are the only details allowed to be released.

That's not going to impact the "freedom of the press" is it?

Mate, I agree in principal, but legal reform is a seriously convoluted affair.

I also question how much difference it'll make given the social-media grapevine has a largely unregulated life of it's own.

None of (eg) Sigurdson, Greenwood or Bissouma's names dropped due to any key detail leaked by the mainstream media..... Ryan Giggs was subject to one of those 'protective order' thingy's but he was still outed by the public as being the focus of said enquiry.

All it takes is a nosey neighbour to see an arrest and the info is as good as pubic domain.... Potentially within seconds.

Mate, I agree in principal, but legal reform is a seriously convoluted affair.

I also question how much difference it'll make given the social-media grapevine has a largely unregulated life of it's own.

None of (eg) Sigurdson, Greenwood or Bissouma's names dropped due to any key detail leaked by the mainstream media..... Ryan Giggs was subject to one of those 'protective order' thingy's but he was still outed by the public as being the focus of said enquiry.

All it takes is a nosey neighbour to see an arrest and the info is as good as pubic domain.... Potentially within seconds.
That’s just a risk that will always be there. Journalists are supposed to be professionals in media and should be held to a higher standard than a random person.

I agree that limiting the media to age and gender may not help every time, but it’s much better than the media purposefully playing a game of guess who with the world. And if the media breaks this rule, there should be harsh penalties.

In this case I don’t think they should have given out the age or saying it was a player due to play in the World Cup. It took very little time for the internet by elimination to work out who it is. Now the players name is dirt forever even if it turns out innocent

That’s just a risk that will always be there. Journalists are supposed to be professionals in media and should be held to a higher standard than a random person.

I agree that limiting the media to age and gender may not help every time, but it’s much better than the media purposefully playing a game of guess who with the world. And if the media breaks this rule, there should be harsh penalties.

Absolutely; though my underlying point is that the more the mainstream media continues to become less and less influential (and social/independent/rogue media gains more and more traction)... The more the suggested changes become a token exercise in futility.

I understand all the 'don't reveal his job', or 'where he lives' etc.
But, let's say in this case that nothing had been revealed. Team 'A' would now be being asked by journalists and fans 'Where is player 'B'? Why isn't he with the team squad training?

I understand all the 'don't reveal his job', or 'where he lives' etc.
But, let's say in this case that nothing had been revealed. Team 'A' would now be being asked by journalists and fans 'Where is player 'B'? Why isn't he with the team squad training?

And they could have just said he's injured...

Injured? What's the injury? Where is he being treated, he's not at the club's training ground?

"Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" (Sir Walter Scott, 1808)

It's not that difficult, he could have been treated in London, you think that excuse hasn't been used to cover up stories before?

It's not that difficult, he could have been treated in London, you think that excuse hasn't been used to cover up stories before?
What 'I think' is irrelevant. Where in London is he being treated?
These questions will be asked by journalists. And the more you prevaricate, the more suspicious they'll get. Add to that social media, it is very hard for a famous person to not be noticed and seen.

What 'I think' is irrelevant. Where in London is he being treated?
These questions will be asked by journalists. And the more you prevaricate, the more suspicious they'll get. Add to that social media, it is very hard for a famous person to not be noticed and seen.

Um at the club's base? By a private doctor? You're overthinking this, clearly.

Football players do pick up injuries believe it or not., it's quite common...

Back
Top Bottom