Premier League star arrested on suspicion of rape

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The clubs base is in Barnet, he lives in Barnet - very easy to spin a story to say he stayed behind to get treated
But it will be quickly noticed he is not there. For example, all top clubs have groups of fans outside their training grounds every day, autograph hunting. They'll soon know he's not there, or hasn't been.

Anyway, this is all speculation.

But it will be quickly noticed he is not there. For example, all top clubs have groups of fans outside their training grounds every day, autograph hunting. They'll soon know he's not there, or hasn't been.

Anyway, this is all speculation.
I'm pretty sure Lamela wasn't always injured every time he had lengthy spells away from the team. It happens.

No, but you know what I mean. Things can be covered up fairly easily.

Yep

The press will know what and what not to ask anyway (they are always briefed by the club) it's the public you're protecting the player from.

Quite simply if barely any details came out about his prodession, his age and where he lives i.e...

'A 29 year old man has been arrested on suspicion of rape'

Who the fuck is gonna be able to guess who that is?

Last edited:
I understand all the 'don't reveal his job', or 'where he lives' etc.
But, let's say in this case that nothing had been revealed. Team 'A' would now be being asked by journalists and fans 'Where is player 'B'? Why isn't he with the team squad training?
The press know who it is and would probably be within the law to reveal these details so the police probably have a pretty standard response ild guess

It's not that difficult, he could have been treated in London, you think that excuse hasn't been used to cover up stories before?
Press will probably report it with player x didn't travel as he was being treated for a "mystery" injury.

The press will push it as far as they can regardless of the police report

Press will probably report it with player x didn't travel as he was being treated for a "mystery" injury.

The press will push it as far as they can regardless of the police report

That's fine but if the initial details weren't released about his profession, age etc...no one would know a jot.

I suppose allegations are just that. How long does it take to bring a case? Innocent until proven guilty, etc. I guess you could suspend on full pay, but that could easily be £200,000 a week, and they wouldn’t be allowed to train with the team either if they’re suspended from their work.

It’s hard to know how to deal with a situation like that, especially if there’s a chance it’s a frivolous allegation. But this one now seems to be far bigger, with an arrest and further allegations from another woman.

I suppose allegations are just that. How long does it take to bring a case? Innocent until proven guilty, etc. I guess you could suspend on full pay, but that could easily be £200,000 a week, and they wouldn’t be allowed to train with the team either if they’re suspended from their work.

It’s hard to know how to deal with a situation like that, especially if there’s a chance it’s a frivolous allegation. But this one now seems to be far bigger, with an arrest and further allegations from another woman.
Benjamin Mendy was charged with rape in August 2021. Manchester City suspended him pending a trial. He was charged with two further counts of rape in November. In December he was charged with a further count of rape allegedly perpetrated against a new complainant. In June, this year he was charged with an additional rape brought forward by a new complainant. He's still awaiting trial, and as far as I know, he's still suspended by Man City.

Back
Top Bottom