Progress

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

i only know that this club makes me depressed almost every weekend now. Happy that the season is close to an end. We need more than buy, we need to sell the clowns in our squad. Chirices, Kaboul, Capoue, Stambouli, Townsend, Adebayor and Soldado all need to go ASAP

You are a young man, it may get worse before it gets better we have had some genuinely shit times before, strap yourself in!!

Some people are very right in here. Couldn't care less if it's not his players. How many managers Are actually privileged enough to have the players they want. And want are the odds these players actually work out. All Poch had done is played the same predictable squad who has 4 wins in the 15 games since beating Woolwich. 4!!! What's the put in competition when fuck all get used

I don't want him gone but of late his decisions have been worrying

Surely not another knee jerk by levy ?

If you look at the history of managers there's defiantly a lot of getting in flavor of the month or panic appointments. Sackings because he's fallen out with managers .. Hardly a good business plan is it?

Who was the wally who used the performance in the defeat to city as evidence of progress.

I'd like an update.

It's all very concerning. Despite not being in favor of Poch's appointment, I'd seen enough by Jan to think he deserved a second season not because of improvement in performance but improvement in attitude. Fast forward 5 months and we've seen deterioration in performance which has undermined any cohesive gains elsewhere.

Whether Poch stays or goes comes down to availability of better options. In the unlikely event Levy could tempt a go getter like Simeone / Klopp or a proven veteran like Ancelotti AND give them control of player purchases then bin Poch - he has ZERO track record to indicate he's top tier. If however we just chase the next flavour of the month and purchase players utterly at odds with their play style then just keep the status quo.

Yedlin. Good enough to play in the world cup, brought in with a fan fare by pravda in January, our first choice right back is out of form and then injured, our second choice right back is sold.

We have end of season games where 4th place has gone and we have a young and hungry right back sitting on the bench............the same full back who was obviously brought in to challenge walker?

Yedlin. Good enough to play in the world cup, brought in with a fan fare by pravda in January, our first choice right back is out of form and then injured, our second choice right back is sold.

We have end of season games where 4th place has gone and we have a young and hungry right back sitting on the bench............the same full back who was obviously brought in to challenge walker?

The only Stoke player with any pace was playing left wing and had Dier on toast in that first half. Diouf had Chiriches in knots. The sub should have been made at half time at the very least.

If you look at the history of managers there's defiantly a lot of getting in flavor of the month or panic appointments.
This is something I was worried about when we hired Poch and why he wasn't my first choice. Since Santini all our appointments have been based on short term successes (Santini, Ramos, AVB and now Poch) or a reaction to events (Jol, Redknapp and Sherweasel). None of the managers where we've had time to sit down and consider the needs of the club have been appointments based on sustained success. Whilst I appreciate he wasn't going to come here, when you look at a manager like LvG you see a pedigree, a sustain history of winning. Now I do appreciate that it's very hard to find such a manager, but we had spoken to Frank deBoer and at least in his short history he has been able to maintain success. In contrast all Poch had to show for himself was an average stint at Espanyol and then the Southampton period. It's not the first time either. Ramos, prior to Sevilla, had about ten years of pure failure before be won the cups which got the attention of Levy. AVB, again, was a manager whose history was built around one good season and the fact that he used to be Mourinho's shoe shiner. It seems that we hire on the basis that the manager will be the next big things, rather than him actually being proven as capable.

In my view, Levy has painted himself into a corner with this hiring policy. He's let go two managers in Redknapp and AVB who, upon reflection, had better records than the current man has thus far. But what does he do? Pull the trigger again? Can we be certain that if he did he wouldn't then go and repeat the same mistake yet again? I'm not so sure we can be. At the same time, in Poch Levy has a manager who places emphasis on young and up and coming players, so that gets him off the hook of expensive signings. Poch knew this going into the job and it's possibly one of the other reasons Levy hired him. So anyone who says that Poch needs his own players should probably think about the idea that he was hired to work mostly with what he has.

If I were to make a random prediction I'd say we will have a relatively quiet summer in terms of signings and Poch will start the next season, but probably not finish it. Then we'll see rinse and repeat all over again (and that will continue at least up to the completion of the new stadium). The problem is that we are quickly becoming (if we aren't already) a poisoned chalice for managers and the days of being able to attract someone half decent to the job may have passed.

I guess we'll have to see what happens, but I wouldn't be surprised if for at least the next 3-4 seasons we're floating around 6th-10th spot in the table as a "best of the rest" team.

Whether Poch stays or goes comes down to availability of better options. In the unlikely event Levy could tempt a go getter like Simeone / Klopp or a proven veteran like Ancelotti AND give them control of player purchases then bin Poch - he has ZERO track record to indicate he's top tier. If however we just chase the next flavour of the month and purchase players utterly at odds with their play style then just keep the status quo.

If Poch is sacked, then we need a veteran manager. All these experiments with LvG wannabes haven't work out for us at all.

Yesterday was disgusting. I'm worried about our young manager.

I'm just throwing this out there..does anyone think the club doesn't want to be in europe next season.

Sitting in bar in Canberra really excited about watching game and told more than one Gooner and Chav supporter to piss off during the game. Biggest load of shit I have seen for a while. Is it psychological ?
Do we need to consider hypnotic-therapy before the games!

I certainly think the manager doesn't but I don't think there is a conscious decision to play weak teams.... Is there?
:pochwtf:

The new sentiment creeping in is no more than desperate hope that it cant possibly be that shit unless we are doing it on purpose.

How can anyone thinking straight use deliberately losing games as something to defend a manger with....

Mental

This is something I was worried about when we hired Poch and why he wasn't my first choice. Since Santini all our appointments have been based on short term successes (Santini, Ramos, AVB and now Poch) or a reaction to events (Jol, Redknapp and Sherweasel). None of the managers where we've had time to sit down and consider the needs of the club have been appointments based on sustained success. Whilst I appreciate he wasn't going to come here, when you look at a manager like LvG you see a pedigree, a sustain history of winning. Now I do appreciate that it's very hard to find such a manager, but we had spoken to Frank deBoer and at least in his short history he has been able to maintain success. In contrast all Poch had to show for himself was an average stint at Espanyol and then the Southampton period. It's not the first time either. Ramos, prior to Sevilla, had about ten years of pure failure before be won the cups which got the attention of Levy. AVB, again, was a manager whose history was built around one good season and the fact that he used to be Mourinho's shoe shiner. It seems that we hire on the basis that the manager will be the next big things, rather than him actually being proven as capable.

In my view, Levy has painted himself into a corner with this hiring policy. He's let go two managers in Redknapp and AVB who, upon reflection, had better records than the current man has thus far. But what does he do? Pull the trigger again? Can we be certain that if he did he wouldn't then go and repeat the same mistake yet again? I'm not so sure we can be. At the same time, in Poch Levy has a manager who places emphasis on young and up and coming players, so that gets him off the hook of expensive signings. Poch knew this going into the job and it's possibly one of the other reasons Levy hired him. So anyone who says that Poch needs his own players should probably think about the idea that he was hired to work mostly with what he has.

If I were to make a random prediction I'd say we will have a relatively quiet summer in terms of signings and Poch will start the next season, but probably not finish it. Then we'll see rinse and repeat all over again (and that will continue at least up to the completion of the new stadium). The problem is that we are quickly becoming (if we aren't already) a poisoned chalice for managers and the days of being able to attract someone half decent to the job may have passed.

I guess we'll have to see what happens, but I wouldn't be surprised if for at least the next 3-4 seasons we're floating around 6th-10th spot in the table as a "best of the rest" team.

Yup, it's not just management either. Look at our chopping & changing of scouts etc too.

Very little stability in our club & for me, that is very poor top end management & a crap business plan .

Yup, it's not just management either. Look at our chopping & changing of scouts etc too.

Very little stability in our club & for me, that is very poor top end management & a crap business plan .

Scouts changing
Managers changing
Players changing

All the hallmarks of a club constantly reacting to shit. We have had constant rumours of busts up and lazy players in our squad the past few years, is that really a surprise considering how we are or Levy's I'll get the second best cheaper player alternative policy.

Remember last season under Sherwood when we seemed to always be crap the first half then good the second and Tim would go on about how he ripped into the players at half time. Why do we have a bunch of players like this who this season played well against top teams then cannot be arsed against the likes of Stoke.

For me this is because our transfer policy has never been fit for purpose. The manager needs to be the one saying who can leave and who can stay, they work with the players, they know who is lazy or a cunt. It just feels like our squad has a wealth of arseholes, I cannot imagine our team spirit has ever really been that good and while the manager must take some blame for me Levy is the one who is most responsible for how our squad is. Several years of crap with many many lazy performances is that really a coonsidence.

Back
Top Bottom