Progress

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thinking about progress and how we are playing, I thought it would be a wheeze to recollect the performances i've enjoyed this season. There must be loads, right?

I'll start with:

QPR home was one-sided nonsense, but we played well.
Tripolis gave us the Rabona and a Harry hat-trick.
Thought we were decent at home to Everton.
Battered fuck out of Newcastle at home.
Chelsea on New Years, natch.
Burnley in the cup with our reserves playing was fun.
West Brom away was great.
Goons at home.

I make that 8 very good performances from 55 games. Chuck in another 8 that covers off the likes of Swansea away, Sheff Utd, etc - the jammy last minuters, if we really want to inflate the numbers.

So, in conclusion, between 8-16 acceptable performances from 55. Anyone want to offer any more for consideration?

Yes mate.

I'm struggling to find any other explanation for that back 4 yesterday.

Or the constant playing of Lamela.

Or the sudden banishing of Dembele after he started to look the part playing further forward.

Or the inability to get a tune out of Eriksen for nigh on three months.

Or the lack of any visible gameplan.

Or the constant playing of Ryan Mason, who isn't up to the job (He was utterly woeful yesterday).

Or countless baffling substitutions he has made over the season.

We have taken 0 points from Stoke this season. 1 from Palace. Lost at home to Villa. Knocked out the FA Cup by Leicester, out the EL by Fiorentina, stole results against W. Ham twice, needed sendings off to beat Villa away & Hull, been battered by a shite Liverpool side, didn't turn up for a Cup Final. Roasted at Stamford Bridge &The Etihad.

Fuck off about progress.

There is plenty of observational reasoning in this post to justify your opinions. Just waiting for all the disagrees from those that think he has a plan, that we've shown progress, that all he needs is 'his' players. Yes he needs some of his signings like any manager but if you're Head COACH then coach all the players you can to make the most of them until the close season, utilise what you've got.

I'm really wondering if he can coach mature or experienced players or, whether he just trains youngsters and those with a more head-room for improvement. More head room for improvement does not mean the ceiling is higher!

We've gone slowly but surely backwards this past 5yrs. 3 steps back and 2 forward isn't progress, starting your count just after you've taken the 3 steps back is kidding yourself as well. I think Poch has taken 1 step back, if he doesn't take 2 forward next year then it's 2 years of stagnation so year 3 has to be a stormer of some sort.

If he gets players he wants in the summer then we should definitely be seeing consistent, stark improvement by Christmas. You can't then start all the shit about people needing to gel, the idea is he's supposedly been drilling his system into current players for a year, he will then have supposedly selected those incoming players that will fit in the gaps and play it, if he gets players he's identified specifically to fit in who can play it then we should really see what's what pretty quickly.

There is plenty of observational reasoning in this post to justify your opinions. Just waiting for all the disagrees from those that think he has a plan, that we've shown progress, that all he needs is 'his' players. Yes he needs some of his signings like any manager but if you're Head COACH then coach all the players you can to make the most of them until the close season, utilise what you've got.

I'm really wondering if he can coach mature or experienced players or, whether he just trains youngsters and those with a more head-room for improvement. More head room for improvement does not mean the ceiling is higher!

We've gone slowly but surely backwards this past 5yrs. 3 steps back and 2 forward isn't progress, starting your count just after you've taken the 3 steps back is kidding yourself as well. I think Poch has taken 1 step back, if he doesn't take 2 forward next year then it's 2 years of stagnation so year 3 has to be a stormer of some sort.

If he gets players he wants in the summer then we should definitely be seeing consistent, stark improvement by Christmas. You can't then start all the shit about people needing to gel, the idea is he's supposedly been drilling his system into current players for a year, he will then have supposedly selected those incoming players that will fit in the gaps and play it, if he gets players he's identified specifically to fit in who can play it then we should really see what's what pretty quickly.
He needs another year. Just because. Consider yourself told.

Thinking about progress and how we are playing, I thought it would be a wheeze to recollect the performances i've enjoyed this season. There must be loads, right?

I'll start with:

Goons at home.

I make that 8 very good performances from 55 games. Chuck in another 8 that covers off the likes of Swansea away, Sheff Utd, etc - the jammy last minuters, if we really want to inflate the numbers.

So, in conclusion, between 8-16 acceptable performances from 55. Anyone want to offer any more for consideration?

I thought we played well against Woolwich, when we drew.
The loss to Man City
The 3-2 loss to Liverpool
The draw with United

Just because you lose a game or come away with a draw doesn't make it an unenjoyable match. If I could be bothered to look I'm sure there would be more.

You can't play well every single game. Enjoying 20/55 games isn't bad, it's probably better than most teams. How many games have Chelsea played breathtaking football? Not that many, yet they won the title...

I'll start with:

Goons at home.

Southampton at home I thought we played well, Although it was a last minute winner we basically bossed sunderland at home too. But generally I agree with your point. Loads of terrible performances, a handful of average to poor performances and 3 maybe 4 good to great performances. Clearly not good enough

I thought we played well against Woolwich, when we drew.
The loss to Man City
The 3-2 loss to Liverpool
The draw with United

Just because you lose a game or come away with a draw doesn't make it an unenjoyable match. If I could be bothered to look I'm sure there would be more.

You can't play well every single game. Enjoying 20/55 games isn't bad, it's probably better than most teams. How many games have Chelsea played breathtaking football? Not that many, yet they won the title...
Forgot Liverpool. Tried to blank it out and succeeded.

Sitting in bar in Canberra really excited about watching game and told more than one Gooner and Chav supporter to piss off during the game. Biggest load of shit I have seen for a while. Is it psychological ?
Do we need to consider hypnotic-therapy before the games!
Who's that for though?
Hypnotic therapy for the players or the fans lol?

I can see benefits for both.

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under.
You support a great club and win everygame.
A loss is a win and there's no need to melt on forums

So whats the flip side of taking the losses and draws where we played well and using them as something positive? Which is fine by the way....I make that City, Pool away, and Utd.

Surely for consistency it has to be taking the wins and draws where we played like dog shit.
I make that Leicester x2, West Ham, Burnley x2, Palace, QPR, Swansea x2, Villa.

You do the maths

But in seriousness.

We have to give the Poch and staff the summer and next season.
It would be madness to change again so soon.... unless some dream manager steps in.

The poor form now is worrying.
Some have said the season is over and even alluded to not wanting to be in Europe next season..... to me this is so wrong.

Oft our backbone and mentality has been criticised....... well it starts with developing a win every game mentality and that is so so crucial.

How is that mentality nutured and developed until it becomes the core essence of our squad if players can be allowed to switch off towards the end of the season?

I want a squad of players that view every game as important. Every loss as horrifying. I want winners and tryers, Scotty Parker kicking lumps out of players in the dressing room if they are just going through the motions.

Perhaps there's more going on behind the scenes than we know?
Perhaps many players know their numbers up and aren't trying and we are due for big changes this summer?

I dunno. All I can do is hope for more of the positives that we've had glimpses of this season

I'll start with:

Goons at home.

You sound like a really positive fellow :townhmm:
Looking over the fixtures I have counted 24(out of the 36 league matches) that I have enjoyed. I would also add all the league cup matches except the final and a few EL and FA cup matches.

You sound like a really positive fellow :townhmm:
Looking over the fixtures I have counted 24(out of the 36 league matches) that I have enjoyed. I would also add all the league cup matches except the final and a few EL and FA cup matches.
Not positive at all, you're right there.

24 out of 36 is an extraordinary number in my opinion, but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

We've fallen away gradually this season. I half expected it with the fixture pile up in February & the fact that we were inactive in the window. We didn't even really make any serious effort to clear out the deadwood with the exception of loaning out Lennon. freshening up the squad with a couple of good signings (I think) would have set us up nicely. Like it or not, pride is all there is left to play for this season & possibly a place back in EL next year. The fact is, we need a better squad to cope with that competition as well as domestically. The one fact is that if we keep changing the manager the chance of CL football gets less every year unless we buy a top 4 spot by signing the best available players to replace our weaker areas & having the balls to make a loss on some players who looked good but turn out to be a bit shit or worse. The ENIC way seems to be to buy a load of prospects & turn over a profit on the odd one that becomes a gem. We need some leaders with experience to make sure the managers words are carried onto the pitch & help the younger lads when the chips are down. We have had Sir Ledley, Parker, David's, VDV etc. (even Dawson) they usually made a big difference in the games that mattered. Who do we have with that gravitas other than Hugo? & he is too busy picking the ball out of the net to be controlling things elsewhere. woolwich had Viera in their most successful era, manure had Keane. The chavs have got Terry. As much as I loathe all 3 of them, they all have/had that winning mentality that cascades to other players around them. I have seen progress this season, but I would have to agree that The last few weeks ain't been pretty & it has seemed like the car has got almost up the hill, run out of petrol & is rolling backwards with fewer people stood behind it pushing

Yes, as said (I agree a little) although Poch conducts himself with decorum and respect. Both AVB and Tim seem to lose the players and fans. At least Poch, we can see a coming together of the players , club, coach and fans IMO. In one season we seem to be moving forward rather than just making do with what we have?

I hope so MrS, what concerns me is maybe his challenges with the language provide a heightened appearance of decorum, respect and a measured approach in interviews and, either causes communication issues with the squad or hides that there isn't that much to communicate. Poch will lose most of the fans too if we don't clearly improve by the end of 2015.

We still have to give this bloke at the very least another season barring disaster.

Fuck off mate.

That's how I feel. Care to tell me where any of the points listed are wrong? Am I making all that up?

There yesterday were you? I spent nigh on £200 and had to watch that shite AGAIN, while watching Spurs fans knock lumps out of each other at half time.

Sorry if I feel like having a moan.

You cunt.
I went over the line calling you a wanker, I'm frustrated as well, sorry.
Yes mate.

I'm struggling to find any other explanation for that back 4 yesterday.

Or the constant playing of Lamela.

Or the sudden banishing of Dembele after he started to look the part playing further forward.

Or the inability to get a tune out of Eriksen for nigh on three months.

Or the lack of any visible gameplan.

Or the constant playing of Ryan Mason, who isn't up to the job (He was utterly woeful yesterday).

Or countless baffling substitutions he has made over the season.

We have taken 0 points from Stoke this season. 1 from Palace. Lost at home to Villa. Knocked out the FA Cup by Leicester, out the EL by Fiorentina, stole results against W. Ham twice, needed sendings off to beat Villa away & Hull, been battered by a shite Liverpool side, didn't turn up for a Cup Final. Roasted at Stamford Bridge &The Etihad.

Fuck off about progress.
Constant playing of Lamela? I agree he was very poor against Newcastle, the 4 games prior to that he only had 74 minutes. He played well against both Soton and City, and deservedly started against Stoke. He was one of our better players as well imo.
What are the options from the bench? We need a goal, who do we bring on Ade or Soldado? Our team is shit besides a few players. Don't tell me that it's Poch's fault, because he "isolated" Ade and Soldado, let's not act like they weren't both shit at the start of the season.
I agree that Mason should've been dropped, it's baffling that he hasn't been.
We got "roasted" at the Etihad? The game could easily have gone both ways, had Soldado not missed that penalty.
I don't think there's shame in being knocked out in the EL by Fiorentina. What I will say is, that It was very bad management by Poch, not reacting to the changes made by Fiorentina at half time.
Do you honestly believe that we're on par with Chelsea and City? Our squad is average as fuck, I'm very surprised that we look like getting 6th

If i could just move away from the festering cauldron of negativity for two minutes (its fine guys, we're tottenham, we've done this before and we'll do it again. Its what makes the high's feel even better. Etc etc)
sammyspurs sammyspurs Why have you deleted your posts from page 29 of this thread? :adelol:

Unless we manage to hang onto to 6th place, we will have gone backwards. Next game we should beat Hull, if we don't it's gonna be regression that's on the cards.
Yeah, and so what if we don't? What difference does it actually make? Think about it. Will your life be any worse if we finish 7th ? No of course it won't. Its annoying, frustrating etc etc, sure. But This happens every fucking year. We start off hoping we'll at least have a bit of a run for the league, then we hope we'll get top 4. Then top 6. Then the season ends... and it all starts again. And we do it again next year. And it goes on and on and on. This time next year, we'll be doing it all again. It goes on and on and on. Why does THIS season have to be the big "progress" season. Why does THIS season have to be amazing. We're gonna have the odd lull, in between the highs. Chelsea went from being champions and fighting for the league.... to dropping down to 6th or wherever it was they finished. United finished below us last season! Just chill the fuck out. D:ream said it, Things can only get better. And They had Brian Cox, and he's smarter than any of us stupid fucks so he's probably right.

Back
Top Bottom