Progress

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The idea of progress is entirely based on an agreed starting point.

I'd say we are better off now than we were twelve months ago.

However, two years ago, we went ten unbeaten in spring, beat Man city and drew at Chelsea. We have seriously regressed since then.

When are we starting this arbitrary period from? I'll go with better than Ramos, worse than Harry, worse than AVB, better than Tim.

Similarly though, we see evidence of players benefitting from getting sustained runs in the first team. Would Kane be the same if he'd been in and out? Lamela was one of our better players yesterday, yet a few weeks ago people were knee jerking. Sometimes we do have to make the sacrifice of letting someone play shit for a few games so we benefit in the long run.
Actually i kind of disagree with that part. If anything, the players who play shit tend to get dropped for weeks on end. Paulinho started the season dogshit and disappeared. Chiriches cost us goals and now only plays out of absolute necessity. Soldado got given plenty of chances. etc.
I think it's a personality thing. I'm sure strikers benefit if told "you will always play, no matter what". Midfield and defence I don't know. Eriksen and Mason in particular should have gone weeks ago, but no sign of that even being likely.

So you now you want to play Capoue and Dier out of position but it isn't okay to do so with Chiriches?

All your current arguments rely on outright lies like the Villa game and Chiriches not playing for months and logical fallacies like arbitrarily deciding which players can play out of position.

Dier is a CB who plays very well at RB.

Capoue has played very well at CB for us under AVB.

Both options are better than Vlad at RB.

However, two years ago, we went ten unbeaten in spring, beat Man city and drew at Chelsea. We have seriously regressed since then.

When are we starting this arbitrary period from? I'll go with better than Ramos, worse than Harry, worse than AVB, better than Tim.

We certainly are worse off than we were with Harry, but remember the players he had and that big 12 point lead we fucked up with him in charge...

Im getting at Poch needs to grow as a manager next season stop isolating important players and large numbers of the squad, because his record has not been great this season in terms of performances and targets
Isn't that the case for every manager.. every player.... just every human being?
Isn't that basically what we do in life. Learn from mistakes, improve on them, etc.
As for the excluding the players, isn't that the point of having a manager. If people are going to get picked regardless of behaviour, respect.. etc, then why do we even need a manager. Id much rather manager that is prepared to kick people out, if they don't respect them. Thats the sign of a good manager. Ive had good managers, weak managers, shit managers. And i definitely wouldn't respect a manager that ignored any member of staff that was causing problems. Picking people that openly go behind his back is fucking terrible management.

The jury is out for me. I want him get his three years at the least though.

For those who are already massively convinced by him, that is way too much to comprehend though.
Nobody is saying that though. You're imagining it. All I've ever seen are "Theres plenty to be positive about" and "its better than the shambles we finished last season with" comments.
Nobody, that I've seen, anywhere. Is saying "Holy shit, this guys a fucking genius. Look out everyone we've got the next ferguson" Nobody. Please feel free to show me evidence otherwise. Or i'll just have to presume you're talking bollocks again.

We are not a top team. Have no idea why thats come up.
Top 6 in the country. Regulars in european competitions. Probably better than 99% of all professional football teams in the world. Have won trophies at the top level, even as recently as 2008. Most teams in the football league have never even been in the premier league, let alone finished in the top half, qualified for europa or even the champions league, or won a trophy in recent history.

If you look at the finances of Spurs and of the teams above us- net spend, income, revenue from both merchandising and gate receipts, wages etc- and the fact we can't attract the same calibre of players as teams in the CL, we are where we should be.

The only way to do better than this (at the moment) is to invest well in players, in the way Southampton have. We spent our money very badly, on the whole, when we had money to spend, and that (probably more than any other factor) has caused us to go backwards. At the same time, it is hard for us...as we have to gamble on players like Paulinho making it. Sometimes it works out (Modric, Berbatov etc) but other times it doesn't. We were linked many times to players like Aguero and Hazard, but they're never going to come to us when better sides come sniffing.

Until we have the new ground, our only way of making progress is to continue to develop our youth system (which obviously includes giving them first team game time when appropriate) and to make shrewd signings.

I think it's a personality thing. I'm sure strikers benefit if told "you will always play, no matter what". Midfield and defence I don't know. Eriksen and Mason in particular should have gone weeks ago, but no sign of that even being likely.
Eriksens a nightmare to manage though. Can be average for 6 weeks, then all of a sudden scores a last minute winner and gets an assist. Cant help but think of that bullshit marilyn monroe quote.
If we can't handle him at his pulling out of tackles, we don't deserve him at his bang tidy free kick, last minute winner.

Indeed.
Although there were some truly shocking performances in October and November. Eye bleeding stuff.
Pochettino was still finding his first eleven though.
Yes for sure. We're by no means the finished article and there have been some performances on a par with the dross of last season. But as u say he was still finding his best 11 at that point and even now isn't yet working with a full squad of players he can rely on.

Eriksens a nightmare to manage though. Can be average for 6 weeks, then all of a sudden scores a last minute winner and gets an assist. Cant help but think of that bullshit marilyn monroe quote.
If we can't handle him at his pulling out of tackles, we don't deserve him at his bang tidy free kick, last minute winner.

Need Pritchard next year to pressure him for his place, Eriksen comes across as the type of guy who needs pushing. Same with all our attacking 3.

I deleted facebook because of the amount of women sharing that Marilyn Monroe quote, "can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best bullshit" Translation.......I'm a fucking raging psychopath.

I deleted facebook because of the amount of women sharing that Marilyn Monroe quote, "can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best bullshit" Translation.......I'm a fucking raging psychopath.

Always the most insane women use that quote, and the problem is their best is just fucking shit most of the time. Like being told you don't deserve to eat cow shit if you won't put up being cunted off.

I have a former friend who got the whole thing tattooed sideways down her ribs.
She's an absolute fucking psycho. pretty sure she recently had a kid with a total wrongun, who has 2 other kids with 2 other girls. She's sure the relationship will last this time though.

I have a former friend who got the whole thing tattooed sideways down her ribs.
She's an absolute fucking psycho. pretty sure she recently had a kid with a total wrongun, who has 2 other kids with 2 other girls. She's sure the relationship will last this time though.
Christ, sounds about right doesn't it? I once dated a girl who posted that quote about twice a week, I had to put her on the phone to my gran once to prove that I wasn't with another bird.
Cracking skills though, good in the bed, bad in the head.

Christ, sounds about right doesn't it? I once dated a girl who posted that quote about twice a week, I had to put her on the phone to my gran once to prove that I wasn't with another bird.
Cracking skills though, good in the bed, bad in the head.
The crazy ones always are. I used to have a real gift for bringing out the crazy in my youth. Too old for that shit now, fed up of having to replace my shit when it gets thrown out the window.

haha that reminds me of another girl that had that quote framed on her bedroom wall who once bought me a present then threw it out the window before she'd even given it to me because i apparently wasn't grateful enough to receive the present i didn't know existed.

Also the present turned out to be body shop body butter. It was for herself. But she could take a cock like the best of em so what're ya gonna do eh?

Last edited:
It's all about perception though, everyone has their own agenda, people will see what they want to see and agree with what they want to hear, people who only want to see negatives will find them and make them look worse, and if they can't find them will say that any positives that were there were only papering over the cracks...

All I know is that last season I wasn't feeling the connection with the club, plan B seemed to be to lose horribly to any close rival, fucking West Ham managed to beat us three times and we ended up with a demob happy manager who didn't give a fuck who he pissed off...And, for a brief second or two, I even harboured the thought that surely I could find something better to do than follow Spurs.

Now I'm feeling the connection again, sure this season hasn't been perfect, but fuck it, we put 5 past another rival for a change, went unbeaten against the Scum and twice managed to royally piss off a load of spammers. Okay the manger may be a bit boring in press conferences...but I'm looking forward to next season already, if that isn't progress I don't know what is.

I feel we are a better team than under AVB, but not yet as mature at the individual level, so we're making more mistakes.

I think AVB is a worse coach than Pochettino, especially tactically, but the line-up in his first year was probably better than our line-up this year, as of right now.

I think the team will be better next year, with a summer off, and some additions to make the system work better as a whole. If the team can be kept together, this will be better than the team Redknapp had, and I think will achieve more. But it's something which will take time, as we don't have many players in their peak years yet.

I think we have made a lot of progress, as the club internally is now united on a common approach to recruiting, youth development, first team tactics, and management loyalty. That kind of clarity takes some of the politics out of things, and will hopefully mean less time spent wasted on distractions off the pitch.

The squad is a mixed bag. Great progess from some, stagnation for others, and outright decline in too many.

It's a slow process, and modern fans don't have that kind of patience, but I hope the club itself does internally.

AVB inherited a team including Bale that was on the ascendency. Potch inherited a team that was arguing, back stabbing, some wanted to leave, were making mistakes because they didn't care.

Besides we can only compare to the previous season. If you can't see progress from last season then go follow another sport.
And if we play the long game, look at the last ten years, then we haven't gone backwards, other teams have had to spend fortunes to jump ahead of us.

It's all about perception though, everyone has their own agenda, people will see what they want to see and agree with what they want to hear, people who only want to see negatives will find them and make them look worse, and if they can't find them will say that any positives that were there were only papering over the cracks...

Its funny because I could reverse that whole thing when it comes to blind happy clapping..

For me the things we have progressed from last season are: (note, to be fair to Poch, I will only take the comparison to last years train crash of a season)
Fitness
Belief
Work ethic
Some individual players

Stayed the same:
Outcasting of certain players for personal reasons
Too many games where we look diabolical and clueless
Poor subs
Final position (with any luck)
Lack of tactical plan
Consistency
Targets failed
Style of play (bar 2 or 3 games, and the odd spells sometimes)

Regressed:
Flexibility with working formations
Some individual players
Final position? Possibly

You can even look at progression and regression within this same season.
Before Christmas, I was impressed with:
Aggressive pressing
A distinct approach to the game
Changing up the team
Eriksen
Mason
Some flowing football

All of those things have regressed this year.

If you feel thats overtly negative, feel free to point out what you strongly disagree with.
Id say its a fair outlook on the season, personally.

I remember giving Carlito Brigante a good slating around the time we beat Chelsea, when he said our luck would soon run out and we were all blinded by Eriksen and Kane's late goals.
I dont think we were lucky at all...I think Poch had worked hard on the players and instilled something...but fuck me, if you cant see that its worn off since then and the likes of Eriksen look like someone whos just got back from The Somme, then I dont know.

By the way, what happened to Townsend? I dont rate him at all.....but remember when Poch did? And he would play every single week without fail? And then he scored for England and was on cloud nine?

So Poch dropped him, never to be seen again......

Back
Top Bottom