Racism in football - Ndombele and Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can we get a definitive list of how black you have to be to be "real black?"

I assume you are basing one's level of real blackness on the casual racist's handy Pantone chart of skin tones.

skin-tone-chart.jpg

He has a point.... my American friend said "now we have 2 big niggaz bossing the midfield" talking about Sissoko and Ndombele. I don't like that kinda language. Is he a racist? of course not, he's half-black himself. But it's funny most people see black players as physical first.

Can you back that up with anything credible?

{Nice hit and run 'disagree' from the poster there.... Fucking idiot!]

Last edited:
Can we get a definitive list of how black you have to be to be "real black?"

I assume you are basing one's level of real blackness on the casual racist's handy Pantone chart of skin tones.

skin-tone-chart.jpg

Oh dear.
Didn't realise i was a Sick Bolivian until now.

I think this is a classic example. We have signed Ndombele, who to me looks technically brilliant, has an eye for a pass (7 assists last year). Hes obviously a very intelligent player.

But the press will focus on his pace and power. Same with Pogba, the double p raises its ugly head.

The you have our player of the year Sissoko who has to take a back seat for Winks. Who has never been more than a bench player for Spurs when we have a full squad.

Why is the Sissoko Ndombele combination not fancied? Its because its perceived to have a lack of intelligence. You need to stick a white guy in there to get that.

It smacks of racism IMO. Maybe not the hardcore 1980s racism, but the tones are still present. Black people are strong and stupid.

What black player is praised for skill and awareness? I cant think of many? I mean real black, not lighter shades like Henry.
You may have a point about the press and how they see players, no doubt there are people who see black people as strong and stupid but I've seen plenty of posters tout the Ndombele Sissoko combination, granted I have no idea what colour posters are.

Henry is black no where near being white, are you suggesting people don't see him as black?

Please kill this thread. Its pointless and embarrassing
This isn't SpursCommunity.
I don't agree with the OP but I support his right to say whats on his mind and perhaps it can grow into a wider and more interesting discussion about racism.

This isn't SpursCommunity.
I don't agree with the OP but I support his right to say whats on his mind and perhaps it can grow into a wider and more interesting discussion about racism.
Perhaps, but like him I also have an opinion, the premise is ill conceived and incorrect.
Most if not all recognise his guile and craft alongside his pace and power, very specific to him and no generalisations were stated
So far that wider debate hasn't been achieved as a matter of fact it's regressed to 'light black not black black' or some bulshittery like that.

We're a club of Walter Tull and Ledley King. We've just acquired fingers crossed a potential global superstar.

I reiterate kill this unnecessary embarrassing thread

Perhaps, but like him I also have an opinion, the premise is ill conceived and incorrect.
Most if not all recognise his guile and craft alongside his pace and power, very specific to him and no generalisations were stated
So far that wider debate hasn't been achieved as a matter of fact it's regressed to 'light black not black black' or some bulshittery like that.

We're a club of Walter Tull and Ledley King. We've just acquired fingers crossed a potential global superstar.

I reiterate kill this unnecessary embarrassing thread
Well give it time, the thread will die by itself if it doesn't get interesting, no need to close it down.

I would have to say regardless if Spurs fielded a team of entirely Caucasian players I would back them just the same as a team entirely consisting of black guys or 11 Asians or any possible combination of nationalities/ethnicities you would care to mention.
Whether players come from Andorra or Australia, Kazakhstan or Kenya, Zambia or Zimbabwe once they put that Spurs shirt on they are all the same. With no exceptions .

I think this is a classic example. We have signed Ndombele, who to me looks technically brilliant, has an eye for a pass (7 assists last year). Hes obviously a very intelligent player.

But the press will focus on his pace and power. Same with Pogba, the double p raises its ugly head.

The you have our player of the year Sissoko who has to take a back seat for Winks. Who has never been more than a bench player for Spurs when we have a full squad.

Why is the Sissoko Ndombele combination not fancied? Its because its perceived to have a lack of intelligence. You need to stick a white guy in there to get that.

It smacks of racism IMO. Maybe not the hardcore 1980s racism, but the tones are still present. Black people are strong and stupid.

What black player is praised for skill and awareness? I cant think of many? I mean real black, not lighter shades like Henry.
I think you're talking utter bollocks when it comes to Ndombele - every analysis of his playing style that I've seen so far has highlighted his skill on the ball and in passing the ball as his main strengths.

But nonetheless, I do think the "pace and power" stereotype of black players does still rear its head more often than it should in football. Often I think it's more just lazy analysis/commentary than any genuine malice - one recent example was in Jonathan Pierce's commentary on the England v Cameroon match in the Women's World Cup. More a case of subconscious, inadvertent racism than intentional racism. It's better than it used to be though, for sure.

I always thought George Weah's cousin was a good player myself

You may have a point about the press and how they see players, no doubt there are people who see black people as strong and stupid but I've seen plenty of posters tout the Ndombele Sissoko combination, granted I have no idea what colour posters are.

Henry is black no where near being white, are you suggesting people don't see him as black?

Lighter skinned black dudes are treated better. Thats a fact

One of the dumbest posts I've ever had the misfortune to read. WTF is wrong with you

I would have to say regardless if Spurs fielded a team of entirely Caucasian players I would back them just the same as a team entirely consisting of black guys or 11 Asians or any possible combination of nationalities/ethnicities you would care to mention.
Whether players come from Andorra or Australia, Kazakhstan or Kenya, Zambia or Zimbabwe once they put that Spurs shirt on they are all the same. With no exceptions .
Good to hear but there are supporters that wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom