• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What shall we do with reputation?

• Remove all reputation

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Remove the negative reputation

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • Leave it as it is

Votes: 70 76.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which makes Rep pointless, because it doesnt give any kind of reflection of how good or bad a poster is.
As rep currently stands, it is more ambiguous as an indicator of an individual's status than it could be, but it is still reflective.
What we are really voting for here is to help @ Admin Admin determine for himself as to whether an overhaul of the rep system is worth his time.

internet-fight-o.gif

I think rep is a good indicator of whether a poster is worth listening to.

Thats the issue which is spurring this debate. I was on the end of a minor disliking witchhunt yesterday because I called out a poster for being aggressive and not offering much opinion wise, and just said to calm down and ended up accumulating 10 odd dislikes for my troubles.

Reputation is what it says on the tin. How you are viewed by the community. I accept dislikes for opinions others find nasty, not for tit for tat rubbish.

When I first came here I did view posters based on rep. Still do now to a degree.

Keep it, but limit how many you can chore out per day.

I like it as it is. Back when I was on Glory-Glory and they had the Karma system it was a great site, the it just got worse and worse. I think the rep-system on here is really good and make the site work really well.

I guess having people neg-rep you is annoying, especially as some internet-warriors love to routinely stalk you and neg-rep you because of some argument you had months ago. I have one such prick who follows me in that regard, but he's a fuck-tard and I really don't care all that much because its actually really pathetic.

As for people getting upset about neg-repping, so what? It's just an internet forum for goodness sake, does it realy matter? Are the amount of neg-reps you picked up going to prevent you from getting a jhob you want, or stopping you from marrying the woman of your dreams? Fuck no. I have picked up a shit load of neg reps in recent weeks because I like to post about how I hate Sherwood (because he's a fucking weasel), but do I care? No. Not one bit.

Ir the problem is that people get defensive over their pos-neg rep record then I would advise them to just chill out and enjoy the board.

When I sent you a PM to ask why I was constantly Sin Binned, while one or two people were free to give me 800 neg reps in a week, you didnt reply.
You were getting sin binned for the same reason you were getting lots of neg reps. You were even told why you were getting both by multiple users here on numerous occasions. It was not a matter for mods to solve for you since the membership had already given you the reasons why you were getting this and others weren't. Hell, I think there was one particularly post of mine a couple months ago setting all this out once before and it got something like 20 "agrees" on it, many from people you have not accused of being trolls. For once, you might want to entertain the possibility that people aren't looking to troll you, they just got tired of you spamming so many Spurs threads looking for a fight and constantly insulting people. You were even back doing it again this week, labeling people morons - I also note that your neg rep score is continuing to rise, and I, for one, haven't given you any neg reps since before Christmas.

Personally I don't care what happens with the rep system. It's not why I come here so I'm not going to vote in this poll. But I don't think the correlation between very high neg rep scores and people who are trying to stir shit up is a coincidence - and these are most often people who do it not just occasionally, but frequently. It's also no coincidence that these are usually the same people who frequently get sin binned. Despite the conspiracy theories, sin binning takes more than one person and it's not the same people voting each time someone gets binned and I have no doubt that if the rep function goes it'll still be the same people who end up in the sin bin every few weeks or so.

This "rep-whining" to the mods is really quite pitiful. It's just a little red figure - and it's on a board with no moderation (often stated by Flav & Co). The way I see it, if people can't handle the dislike button then they should tone down the shit stirring. Otherwise man up FFS.

Keep it, but limit how many you can chore out per day.
But if it's limited to 10, and @ sammyspurs sammyspurs posts 11 times in one day, how am I meant to dislike all of them? I can't wait til the next day - I won't be able to sleep knowing Sammy might think I agree with one of his posts...

:holtbytongue:

On a serious note, voted to keep as is. Not really bothered about my rep. What I don't like is someone disliking and then not posting in that thread to explain why. That "press and run" approach defeats the fucking object of the forum!
I do like being able to like, agree and funny posts though.

And receiving them makes me feel :dude:

Which makes Rep pointless, because it doesnt give any kind of reflection of how good or bad a poster is.

There are people here who are brilliant posters, on 100 or 200.....and cunts like me on nearly 5000

:dude:

:dwi:

I think it makes negative rep pointless, which is the option I selected.

I think that positive rep is still worth something - if only to demystify exactly how much of our lives we're spending on this forum.

You were getting sin binned for the same reason you were getting lots of neg reps. You were even told why you were getting both by multiple users here on numerous occasions. It was not a matter for mods to solve for you since the membership had already given you the reasons why you were getting this and others weren't. Hell, I think there was one particularly post of mine a couple months ago setting all this out once before and it got something like 20 "agrees" on it, many from people you have not accused of being trolls. For once, you might want to entertain the possibility that people aren't looking to troll you, they just got tired of you spamming so many Spurs threads looking for a fight and constantly insulting people. You were even back doing it again this week, labeling people morons - I also note that your neg rep score is continuing to rise, and I, for one, haven't given you any neg reps since before Christmas.

Personally I don't care what happens with the rep system. It's not why I come here so I'm not going to vote in this poll. But I don't think the correlation between very high neg rep scores and people who are trying to stir shit up is a coincidence - and these are most often people who do it not just occasionally, but frequently. It's also no coincidence that these are usually the same people who frequently get sin binned. Despite the conspiracy theories, sin binning takes more than one person and it's not the same people voting each time someone gets binned and I have no doubt that if the rep function goes it'll still be the same people who end up in the sin bin every few weeks or so.

This "rep-whining" to the mods is really quite pitiful. It's just a little red figure - and it's on a board with no moderation (often stated by Flav & Co). The way I see it, if people can't handle the dislike button then they should tone down the shit stirring. Otherwise man up FFS.

Still trying to justify neg repping me 600 times in a week.....despite admitting you enjoy trolling me?

My exact point in why Rep is pointless

Leave it as it is. Saves us from tons of posts saying "I agree!" or whatever. Don't want this forum looking like COYS!

(Yes, I realize the irony in that this might already have been said and that I, according to my own argument, should've "agreed" with that post instead of making a new one. But I didn't read any posts after the first one...)

Main problem IMO is that new members don't always understand the difference between disagree and dislike. Clearly one is a reasonably polite way of saying that you don't agree with someone's post, and the other is there for calling someone out for saying something cuntish. Just rename them appropriately, and we're good to go.

Still trying to justify neg repping me 600 times in a week.....despite admitting you enjoy trolling me?
I've told you plenty of times recently that I have not looked to troll you here in a long time. In fact, I haven't since you shit the bed back in 2012 and ran off. Know why? Because by then the likes of Carlito & Co had joined and I had began to become tired of all the spamming and trolling as well (and stuff that I thought went way too far) and I figured it would be hypocritical for me to troll you at the same time as moaning about all that nonsense - nonsense that was dragging the forum down.

Whether you like it or not, I have told you at least a dozen times why you have gotten sustain neg reps from me recently - and it has been explicitly explained to you repeatedly that it's because you can't stop looking for fights in threads and insulting people. It wouldn't be so bad if your post count was lower, but you have the highest count outside of the mods and that means it's just not feasible to put you on ignore. Do so and threads, match threads in particular, start to make no sense. So that means people are forced to wade through all the fighting and insulting you do. I told you this before Christmas and stopped neg repping you. I held off for as long as you held off from insulting people - which is exactly what I said I would do. As soon as you started again I gave you another 100. That was the last time I neg repped you. Why would I do that if I were trolling? Why would I tell you you'd otherwise be a good poster but for the fighting and cunt offs, again, if I were trolling?

As for justification, that fact that at least 30 people on this board agree with my assessment of you (based on who has pos repped the posts where I have tried to explain all this to you before). I don't recall anyone rushing to your defence when you pull this victim shit...which tells me my take on things better reflects the members' view of you than your own does. That's more than enough justification.

My exact point in why Rep is pointless
If it were pointless it wouldn't up set you. But I agree, take it away and you won't change a bit. It'll be the sin bin you'll be complaining about next.

Lets be honest here, you want impunity from shit stirring and cunt off. That's really all there is to it. What people are trying to tell you is that they don't want the shit stirring, they just want they debate from you. That really so fucking hard?

Whatever you do reasonable people will still be reasonable for majority of time. And act the cunt every now and then.

Cunts will be cunts for majority of time and be reasonable every now and then.

But when it gets childish, I think the Mods should over see things.
The irony is that if you want more rules, you are likely to be one of the first to fall foul of them since the most obvious rules to introduce would be those designed to reduce trolling and flaming.

Do you really want a set up that would see yourself banned?

Leave it as it is. Saves us from tons of posts saying "I agree!" or whatever. Don't want this forum looking like COYS!

(Yes, I realize the irony in that this might already have been said and that I, according to my own argument, should've "agreed" with that post instead of making a new one. But I didn't read any posts after the first one...)
Exactly! Or else each match day thread would be around 4,876,420 pages long.

So Smokedsalmon and Oreally going on a neg rep spree means Im the troll...?
oreally is a troll who frequently spammed up this place with nonsense, found his way into the sin bin routinely and never once gave you an explanation for why he was neg repping you and had a neg rep score similar to your own. He's now, it seems, perma-banned. Like it or lump it, none of that applies to me. I've been very straight and honest with you about why I gave you the neg reps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom