Richarlison

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Definitely a
tha GIF
moment

Can't believe people would start our weakest link against Chavs.

Mental really.

He was dogshit against CP and Johnson is much much better, and against Chavs we need pace and we will get more space against them.

No brainer really.

Can't believe people would start our weakest link against Chavs.

Mental really.

He was dogshit against CP and Johnson is much much better, and against Chavs we need pace and we will get more space against them.

No brainer really.
I do agree with this. If he was English he wouldn’t be deemed good enough but because he’s Brazilian he gets more leeway.
For 45 minutes against Fulham I thought he was excellent and a real handful but the second half and the palace game he offered nothing. If he showed consistency then I think he wouldn’t get the stick he gets. It’s not as though he isn’t getting the chances to be consistent as he’s started the last 4 games. He’s started 7 out of 11 games so there has to be more consistency for an argument to keep him in.

I do agree with this. If he was English he wouldn’t be deemed good enough but because he’s Brazilian he gets more leeway.
For 45 minutes against Fulham I thought he was excellent and a real handful but the second half and the palace game he offered nothing. If he showed consistency then I think he wouldn’t get the stick he gets. It’s not as though he isn’t getting the chances to be consistent as he’s started the last 4 games. He’s started 7 out of 11 games so there has to be more consistency for an argument to keep him in.
This is where the arguments against him get disingenuous.

He didn't offer 'nothing'.

The problem with Richy now is people are looking at the things that don't go right. They'll point to a moment and that'll be proof that he was dogshit all game.

There are things that he needs to do better but there are also things he's already improving at.

I've no issue with starting him on the left against the Chavs.

Well he is only starting because Perisic, Solomon and Breannan is/was all injured.

Hopefully that stops monday night, you can clearly see he is nowere near the level of others on the pitch, to fit our current playstyle. It's like starting Skipp in CM.

Pray for Brennan to make it his spot now.

This is where the arguments against him get disingenuous.

He didn't offer 'nothing'.

The problem with Richy now is people are looking at the things that don't go right. They'll point to a moment and that'll be proof that he was dogshit all game.

There are things that he needs to do better but there are also things he's already improving at.

I've no issue with starting him on the left against the Chavs.
I’ll rephrase that,he offered very little to the game whereas against Fulham first half I thought he was our best player.
I don’t think he’s improving because when he does have good spells in a game he always ends up having longer spells of mediocrity. Good players stay consistent and keep their levels up more often than not.
I also don’t have an issue with him starting against the Chavs as at home he has more space and he can get away with his untidiness as a player. At places like Bournemouth,palace and Luton you see his limitations more.
What is glaringly obvious is going forward is he won’t be a player that will play regularly because Ange wants this team to be a team that competes to win things and sadly guys like Richarlison are not at that top level that’s needed.

On the contrary, if he was English and came from our academy he'd be afforded no end of charity.

He’s missed more chances than he’s had (3xG, one goal) and created a grand total of 0.8 xA but you’ll still get the apologists banging on about what he apparently brings.*

*It’s a warm body because we have weak wide options so Ange has little to no choice about giving him game time. That and running about a bit, which I’d expect from a fucking pub player lads.

This is bollocks. People used to say the exact opposite about Winks & Dier and that was bollocks too.
I’m not talking about homegrown players. If we signed an English player and he put in the same level of performances and goal return there’s no way people would be clamouring for him to play and give him time. At the start of the season we were saying give him 8/9/10 games to see where he’s at. We are there now and there isn’t this big upturn in performances and goal return.
When he’s at it he can do a job but he’s not at it anywhere near enough. As I said before I’m not against him starting games just now especially at home as we don’t have anyone who is that much better that and deserves to be starting every week. That guy might be Johnson but who knows just now.

He’s missed more chances than he’s had (3xG, one goal) and created a grand total of 0.8 xA but you’ll still get the apologists banging on about what he apparently brings.*

*It’s a warm body because we have weak wide options so Ange has little to no choice about giving him game time. That and running about a bit, which I’d expect from a fucking pub player lads.
Nah this is cherry-picking.

Some, like you, will only judge him on goals but he does more than just 'running about a bit'.

What I think people still do these days is focus on starters. 'He isn't good enough to be a starter!'. 'He wouldn't start for other top 6 teams!'.

Those days are gone.

Richy bring something to the squad. He will start games. He won't start games. But he'll contribute to the team throughout the season.

His pressing and quick, one-touch passing have been pretty decent imo. There have been some moments where he has opened up play with some nice one touch passes and running into space.

Is that enough...? No, probably not. His dribbling and finishing has been horrible. Also doesn't have the pace to compensate for anything.

Maddison keeps going through his side though, much more than via Kulu who also isn't setting the world alight.

Nah this is cherry-picking.

Some, like you, will only judge him on goals but he does more than just 'running about a bit'.

What I think people still do these days is focus on starters. 'He isn't good enough to be a starter!'. 'He wouldn't start for other top 6 teams!'.

Those days are gone.

Richy bring something to the squad. He will start games. He won't start games. But he'll contribute to the team throughout the season.

What does he do other than offer pressing? His chance creation stats are rock bottom. He should be scoring far more, so he’s wasting opportunities created by better teammates.

He’s an attacker fluffing shots and not creating chances for others. He’s clunky and shit on the ball so he’s not a ball carrier either. Nowhere near a Grealish type who does the pressing but can also carry the ball.

Crunch some numbers & come back to me with something weighty to support what he’s offering.

What does he do other than offer pressing? His chance creation stats are rock bottom. He should be scoring far more, so he’s wasting opportunities created by better teammates.

He’s an attacker fluffing shots and not creating chances for others. He’s clunky and shit on the ball so he’s not a ball carrier either. Nowhere near a Grealish type who does the pressing but can also ball carry’s

Crunch some numbers & come back to me with something weighty to support what he’s offering.
I'm not a numbers guy butt but aren't you the one who normally rails against stats in preference of the eye test?

Just to note once again...I'm not saying Richy is performing perfectly. I'm not saying he doesn't need to improve. I'm not saying that he should start every game.

I'm fighting back against the idea he offers 'nothing' which, I feel, is pure poppycock.

Back
Top Bottom