Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I really like the 433 we played on Wednesday, and believe Ade was key to making it work.

Sadly that would leave basically no room for Soldado, a real shame because he is obviously quality.

I think if, over a little time, we get our midfield and attackers really supporting the striker, getting beyond him and supplying him well then Soldado can play - but right now we arent doing that well enough to accomodate him IMO

Lets have him in the midfield as a deep lying playmaker... If anything his passing and vision have looked quality this season : ostrich:

I just don't know what is going to happen to Bobby S. I keep thinking he'll come good, contribute to the team, score a blinder, snatch a brace and kick start his season - but it's just not happening for the bloke. You don't lose his type of quality overnight, but his confidence must be absolutely shattered at this point. Ade didn't play for 5 months, has come in and notched goal after goal - the thing we were lacking most.

I really like the guy and hope with all my might that he comes good - but I am losing faith a little more each game week at the moment.

I really like the 433 we played on Wednesday, and believe Ade was key to making it work.

Sadly that would leave basically no room for Soldado, a real shame because he is obviously quality.

I think if, over a little time, we get our midfield and attackers really supporting the striker, getting beyond him and supplying him well then Soldado can play - but right now we arent doing that well enough to accomodate him IMO
Granted, Newcastle was a little shit that day so that opened up our attack, but I think that if we played a system and temp like that with Soldado at the helm, he's be looking a lot better. Not to take anything away from Ade, but that was one of the first games I've seen this season where we looked that consistently dangerous. I think that Soldado is more of a poacher and, not that he's been highly successful this season at it, but he needs to get regular, accurate service into the box to be effective. If he was up top instead of Ade, I would venture that he would have looked just as dangerous.

I know that his form doesn't necessarily support this, but I can't help but remember how often we saw him needing to track back just to get in on the play. He was totally isolated up front for whole games at a time and rarely saw consistent, quality service into the box. IF we ran the system we did against the toon, with him up top for the full 90, with that much action going on around their box, I can't help but think that he'd be successful at this point.

I definately think he could play there for us, but not right now - I think we would need to bed in the way of playing a little more before getting him in.

Adebayor does a huge amount to tie things together, and until we are attacking really effectively without Ade making the difference Im not sure Soldado will really flourish.

He needs that supply, but also support. People with and ahead of him - something we havent been good at for years.

Wednesday showed, IMO, that a 433 really helped facilitate that - a few games of getting it right and then Soldado could be a big player for us.

I definately think he could play there for us, but not right now - I think we would need to bed in the way of playing a little more before getting him in.

Adebayor does a huge amount to tie things together, and until we are attacking really effectively without Ade making the difference Im not sure Soldado will really flourish.

He needs that supply, but also support. People with and ahead of him - something we havent been good at for years.

Wednesday showed, IMO, that a 433 really helped facilitate that - a few games of getting it right and then Soldado could be a big player for us.
Good point. And probably the more sensible one. My original question of how can we accommodate Soldado into our
starting 11 now, was born out of my pain of seeing him sitting on the bench, confidence draining, week after week!
I like a DM in front of the back 4. The Beast/Capoue. This obviously leaves 5 positions to fill. With a 3 of Dembele/Paulie, Eriksen, Bentaleb, with the width coming from Walker/Rose. I just think Soldado playing in the hole and slightly wide right ahead of them and behind Ade. Would allow him to integrate, contribute, get his mojo going/back without the "direct pressure" of scoring goals. Although, from this position imo, I think he will still. I can see him linking up well with Eriksen, the give and go's. Plus with Ade holding up the ball with Bobbie over lapping. We have seen him drift out wide and he can whip a decent ball in. I,m not saying re-define him. I,m saying, this just might be the way to get him involved and get his confidence back and feel like he is contributing to the team. I see him (just for the reasons given) in a Dalglish role!

COYS!!

Imagine how well he would have thrived with Bale as a provider.............sigh

At the moment he seems to have a technical problem in that he is dragging nearly every shot to the left. He looks a natural footballer, and sometimes the technical side of the game can get overlooked. I'm sure he'll sort it out in an afternoon. Too good a player to give up on.

At the moment he seems to have a technical problem in that he is dragging nearly every shot to the left. He looks a natural footballer, and sometimes the technical side of the game can get overlooked. I'm sure he'll sort it out in an afternoon. Too good a player to give up on.
Agree! An maybe a temporary "revised" role to get him into the starting 11, might be the answer?

Agree! An maybe a temporary "revised" role to get him into the starting 11, might be the answer?
I see what you're saying. He has great vision, and he sees a pass early, but I can't see that happening. Some work in training, and a goal or 2 in Europa, and he'll be ok. He won't want to come down the pitch even if Sherwood is willing to experiment, which at this stage of the season, given our league position, ain't gonna happen. (IMO)

Last edited:
Imagine how well he would have thrived with Bale as a provider.............sigh

No way he'd be skying those 8 foot sitters over the bar if Bale were still around!

:troll:

Seriously though... is anyone else just as tired of Soldado as I am at this point? Great, he's got some vision and pulls off some neat passes.. but he's a poacher who's always been praised for his finishing ability. So he left that in Valencia then? I've really tried to have patience with Soldado, but seeing him miss an easy chance has become an all too common occurrence. One league goal from open play. One. At some point he needs to be held accountable for this unbelievably poor run of form. Tonight was his chance to prove he deserved a spot in the first 11, and he totally flubbed it. This isn't a Lamela situation where we payed for a player we knew we'd need to develop.. Soldado is a proven player at some of the highest levels in football. So far all he's managed to do for Spurs is score a few penalties, make some cute passes and look, for the most part, virtually useless in front of goal. 5 premier league goals and 3 assists in 21 matches. Terrible. Just terrible.

Honestly, I'd rather have Kane playing in Europa games at this point just so he can get some experience.

No way he'd be skying those 8 foot sitters over the bar if Bale were still around!

:troll:

Seriously though... is anyone else just as tired of Soldado as I am at this point? Great, he's got some vision and pulls off some neat passes.. but he's a poacher who's always been praised for his finishing ability. So he left that in Valencia then? I've really tried to have patience with Soldado, but seeing him miss an easy chance has become an all too common occurrence. One league goal from open play. One. At some point he needs to be held accountable for this unbelievably poor run of form. Tonight was his chance to prove he deserved a spot in the first 11, and he totally flubbed it. This isn't a Lamela situation where we payed for a player we knew we'd need to develop.. Soldado is a proven player at some of the highest levels in football. So far all he's managed to do for Spurs is score a few penalties, make some cute passes and look, for the most part, virtually useless in front of goal. 5 premier league goals and 3 assists in 21 matches. Terrible. Just terrible.

Honestly, I'd rather have Kane playing in Europa games at this point just so he can get some experience.

I think everyone's frustrated but what really is the alternative? Is playing Kane the better choice? I'm not sure that giving up on our marquee signing is a great idea at this point but it is hard to rationalize playing him when he has the yips in front of goal.

Today real did encapsulate how he's been for much of the season. Very involved in buildup play, playing great passes and flicks but then flubs the best chance of the game. He would have been far and away the man of the match had he just buried that chance. What do you do with a player like that? It's a baffling situation.

Proper Spursy to buy a player that you think is ruthless in front of goal just for him to all the sudden start playing like a number 10 who's terrified of a goal scoring chance.

Quality player and he'll remain as such even if our system doesn't suit him, after Villa he was the striker I most wanted and i'm gutted for the lad that it's not working out and may possibly never work out but what's worse is the terrible fan reaction I see about on various places like twitter from our own fans calling him shit and a waste of money (latter point is understandable to some degree even though I disagree with it) we've spent a lot of money on him and I hope we stand by him through this difficult time and don't look to sell. It is a bit of cliché but players do need a season sometimes and I hope he gets his and is judged on what he does next season (providing Timmy doesn't try to swap him with Conner Wickham)

If Chelsea fans had been as harsh as we are with Drogba in his first year, they'd never have had one of the Prem's all-time best strikers. I have my doubts about Bob. but I also watched him a lot in Spain and when he's in form he is one of the best first touch strikers and poachers around. So much so, he had started a few games for Spain, no mean feat.

I don't want him sold in the Summer, I'm willing to give him a full 2 seasons to judge, if then he's still bad, then he's simply not a Prem striker.

I still have faith he'll become a good striker with us, who can achieve 20+ goals a year. Also, as bad as he seems to have been, the guy has still scored 10 in 24 in all comps, whether it's against Europa quality or not, he knows where the goal is.

Give him time. I know patience is not a virtue normally used by us Spurs fans but just have some with him and Lamela. I am not willing to abandon and write off 50mil worth of players because of a bad 6 months. Kyle Walker had a bad season last year, look at him now. Bad periods happen. Faith.

:soldadolol:
I realise quoting yourself is vain, but just have faith in him.

His link up play is great, movement and passing also just needs a fucking break to fall his way.

Quality player and he'll remain as such even if our system doesn't suit him, after Villa he was the striker I most wanted and i'm gutted for the lad that it's not working out and may possibly never work out but what's worse is the terrible fan reaction I see about on various places like twitter from our own fans calling him shit and a waste of money (latter point is understandable to some degree even though I disagree with it) we've spent a lot of money on him and I hope we stand by him through this difficult time and don't look to sell. It is a bit of cliché but players do need a season sometimes and I hope he gets his and is judged on what he does next season (providing Timmy doesn't try to swap him with Conner Wickham)

I know I know... I'm just so frustrated at this point. You can hardly blame the system when a striker blasts the ball over the bar when he has an empty net at his mercy. I forget which game it was, but a few weeks back he had two clear cut opportunities to bang in goals that a striker of his pedigree should have capitalized on-- instead, one hit the post and the other was straight at the keeper. He obviously has skill, obviously talent-- what he isn't doing is justifying why we shelled out money for him instead of another striker. Again, at this point I just don't see how anyone can blame "the system" on Soldado's failure to find goal. If his finishing ability is his best attribute, naturally he should be finishing chances like the aforementioned. A ruthless striker who has, thus far, proved to be far and away exponentially more toothless. Now he's been relegated to the bench by a player who, not too long ago, had absolutely no future in a Spurs uniform... what more motivation could he need??

Sure, we can keep giving him chances until he knocks one, two or even three in... but how long will that take? How many points will playing matches with a misfiring striker cost us? He cost 20+ million, so naturally we have to play him. Doesn't make it the right decision, though. I think, with the return he's given us thus far, it's more than fair for people to lose faith in his ability to get things done-- because, simply, he hasn't done a damn thing to prove us wrong. Here's to hoping he does.

We are fortunate to have Ade back and with an appetite. I thought Paulie and Chadli looked good tonight. Townsend coming back from a lay-off. If these can start to contribute on the goal front, then I think we have the luxury of allowing Soldado the season to settle in! Of course, not ideal, but the boys confidence if obviously at an all time low. Why? Dun know! I agree it is'nt necessarily the system of play, because chances have come his way and not been taken. I, like most am frustrated by him, but not to the point where I want to start caining him and want him sold because we can afford (at the moment. Stay injury free Ade) to let him work through this. And lets hope he will!

COYS!!

Ps, I,d like to see him and Ade together up top against Norwich on Sunday!! 4-1-3-2

One thing's for sure, if Tim stops giving him the chance to regain his confidence he'll be useless to us. Before I do give up on him I'm pretty sure he'll either be gone or he'll come good. Either won't happen until next season IMO.

Back
Top Bottom