Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ArcspacE ArcspacE You going to actually ever say anything to me, or just run around and disagree with every comment I post? Been going on for a couple months now-- I'm just wondering why a big, tough forum baddie like yourself can't seem to muster up the courage to reply to me instead of being a passive aggressive pansy. Seems like these days you've got less balls than Soldado in front of an open goal.

Maybe he just can't be bothered to get involved in a lengthy argument? If that's the case I can't say I blame him. I couldn't be bothered either after everything that's been going on on here last season.

Whilst it's clear to see that Soldado didn't have a successful season, I think he deserves more time.

I don't think he should be judged on the season we've just had - he was the 2nd (or sometimes 3rd) choice striker under Sherwood, so whilst he got games under his belt, I don't think it was ever looking like it was set up for him.

I think it'll be interesting to see him in a genuinely set up attacking side: AVB's tactics were ball-greedy, Sherwood's were sort of naive over pure attacking, so if Pochettino uses strikers & forwards like he has at Southampton then we should well see some interesting games with Soldado potentially in goal scoring positions.

If we're being honest, he's never looked like a 60 yard run and finish type of player, nor as a shoot from distance type, which are both more 'suited' to the PL, but with a full pre-season and Poch coaching, we might see something special from him.

If he does decide to leave, I wouldn't hold it against him - he needs to be enjoying his football on a regular and prolific basis in order for him to get best from his career whilst approaching 30 - but I think I would want to see him show a desire to stick at it and force Poch to pick him

I don't think that's a fair comparison-- Negredo was doing well before he accrued a couple of injuries. A hampered Negredo scored 23 total goals this season (9 in the league) versus a perfectly healthy Soldado scoring 11 (6 league). Negredo scored a hat trick against arguably the best team in Russia, while Soldado did it against the worst team. Hardly like for like stuff.
:paulinhofacepalm:

Have we got rid of this useless human being yet?
I don't like calling people out but is anyone else thinking troll? First 4 posts he says he doesn't want Poch, we should sell Lloris and Bobby is a useless human being.

I get his right to an opinion but in my experience the people who've joined a forum in such a controversial and aggressive manner have always turned out to be trolls.

What i've said is what i think is for the good of this club though.

And im sorry, we payed 26million for "bobby". It irritates the hell out of me thinking about it! He's not going to "come good" like everyone seems to think because hes not very good, simple.

What i've said is what i think is for the good of this club though.

And im sorry, we payed 26million for "bobby". It irritates the hell out of me thinking about it! He's not going to "come good" like everyone seems to think because hes not very good, simple.

59 goals in 101 La Liga performances for Valencia would suggest otherwise. 29 in 60 for Getafe before that.

It's not his fault that he was completely starved and isolated in AVB's system. He left him lost of confidence and to top that off, he lost a child. Not been an easy season for the lad. £26m looks bad in hindsight, but according to reports we've only paid £13m up front which I suppose we can take some solace from.

For me he gets another year. A new start under a new manager in a new system. However if I was left with the choice of selling one of Adebayor or Soldado it would be the latter, granted.

:paulinhofacepalm:

How can you even make the claim that Soldado was a 'like for like' bust when compared to Negredo? I don't think you'll find anyone on this forum who would even think to agree with that statement. So far you've offered absolutely no real reasons as to why you think Soldado could make it in the premier league, nor have you done yourself any favors by making an asinine comparison to Negredo. Don't send me a patronizing emoticon response until you've earned it by putting forth a half-decent, thought out argument.

Hint: you aren't going to find it by trolling youtube for Soldado's Valencia highlights and then coming on here and claiming his quality is undeniable.

and for the love of Levy please, please stop using the fucking 'starved of chances' excuse. You all know damn well time and again you saw Soldado blow amazing chances in many a game this season.
M8. The damage to his confidence was done by the time he was getting regular goal scoring opportunities (round when Tim took over).
When you have limited chances as a striker you panic and begin to snatch at shots because you're under pressure as you don't know if you'll get another chance in that game. After a bunch of games like that his confidence died, and stayed dead even when he did get better and more frequent chances. Takes time to come back from something like that.

I don't want to say that AVB ruined him, but he probably did.

M8. The damage to his confidence was done by the time he was getting regular goal scoring opportunities (round when Tim took over).
When you have limited chances as a striker you panic and begin to snatch at shots because you're under pressure as you don't know if you'll get another chance in that game. After a bunch of games like that his confidence died, and stayed dead even when he did get better and more frequent chances. Takes time to come back from something like that.

Its a whole bunch of things with Soldado....confidence and lack of ability to adjust his style of play, as he seemingly can only play in ONE system and everything else is the wrong set up to suit his needs (funny when you think that people called Defoe a one trick pony eh...).

I dont think he's fast enough for PL defenders, or used to their aggression either.

I do agree that if AVB wasnt such a massive dick, and had played Ade sometimes, Soldado wouldnt have been forced out onto the pitch, time and time again with zero confidence, growing pressure and the loss of his unborn child.

confused about Bobby, scored lots of goals in the Spanish League and certainly has a nice touch and a good penatly taker that's for sure but seems unable to take a ball under pressure (gets bullied), finish chances and more recently does even seem to put himself in positions to score.

Do know if that's confidence, tactics or the fact he is not suited to the PL. Under Tim, Ade and Kane bagged a few goals so I don't think its just managerial tactics, personally I just don't think he suits PL football with his lack of pace and strength, I would take a good offer for him and try to sign Bony or Lukaku.

He's got a lovely touch in build-up play and takes a mean penalty but seemingly lacking in confidence and proper game-time as well as having a bit of a temper when frustrated. Jelly wont gel properly if you keep stirring. :soldadolol:

There is obviously more to Soldado than we have seen at The Lane. Its just a case of how much he has been affected (confidence etc) since his time with us in England.

If he wanted away, I,d understand/accept that! If he wants to stay I,d accept him with open arms too!

COYS!!

oh right never mind the fact that he is a one dimensional poacher who does not track back or make himself available. Ignore that little issue of him not being strong enough to lead the front line and his poor link up play with the rest of the players. It is about 'confidence', I find it laughable that some are using some weird inverse logic to suggest AVB freezing Adebayor out of the squad ( boosted his confidence) while playing soldado as the lone striker ( damaged his confidence). He is defoe 2.0.On that matter, I actually like defoe but he was simply too inflexible to link up with players, hold up the ball and contribute more than poaching a goal in 90 minutes.

CL teams have the silly money.
Now read my post again and what it was in reference to...

Pretty sure he wants CL
I believe he said he wanted a CL club
Why did he leave Champions League regulars Marseille for bottom of the league QPR then?

Money.

The bloke doesn't give a fuck about Champions League football. He wants the biggest pay day possible. He'd play in the Iranian Premier League if he was offered £10m+ a year.

He isn't consistent enough for me. We need someone up top grabbing 15+ goals a season to really push for top 4. If we're not going to sign a top class striker, I'd be happy to stick with Bobby, Ade and Kane.
2 people said he is holding out for CL. I clearly stated I felt this was not his intention, as he left a CL club to join bottom of the league QPR and then on loan to mid-table Newcastle. I can't see how his intention when joining either of those clubs was to play CL football, so why would he have a change of heart now? He wasn't young and naive when he left Marseille. Funnily enough, this coincided with the time when Tony Fernandes was handing out £80,000+ contracts like cigarettes in the playground. He would have been lucky to be on a quarter of that at Marseille.

Nothing to do with the finances of CL clubs or them not being able to afford him. I realise they could buy him.

He was quoted as saying he joined QPR "for the challenge, not for financial gain".

Sure he did.

Didn't fancy the challenge of a promotion push in the Championship though.

So again, I reiterate - the bloke is driven by money, not success.

Back
Top Bottom