Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Chill Winston, thats why I deleted it and put it in the Soldado thread...
Dude, I am chilled :)
And I certainly have no problem with you. I like a lot of your posts, but I guess I fundamentally disagree about Adebeyor. Equally, I like CJJs posts.
I guess like Benny said... I'm kinda bored of the same arguments over and over.

Soldado's poor form sucks.
Adebeyor sucks for a whole load of reasons.

This is the thing. It's one thing debating suitability, it's another berating a player and exaggerating a poor performance just to be goad people and mock them for supporting a player.

Pesonally I don't support any player, not into the fan boy thing, love Kane, Mason and Bentaleb as our youth products but Tottenham is who I support not any one player or manager.

I always respect those who try hard when playing for us, much as Naughton is laughed at he always tries his best and for that reason I respect him, same as Soldado he works hard I am far more critical of Ade and Rose as they always seem to be lazy when playing which annoys the hell out of me.

That being said the problems in our strike force are very apparent and if we don't improve this in Jan I really believe it could be the difference between a good and bad season that's how much IMO the position has become an issue for us.

Yep.....Shevchenko was a permanantly class striker, as has Torres shown too.

That a looooooong temporary blip in form...

Class is permanent? Soldado has had one good season in a career, LOL

Torres never had class. He was crap when he cost £50m and has been ever since, quite possibly due to an injury that crippled his pace (much like Owen).

Shevchenko still scored 22 in 77 for Chelsea, which isn't far off the same strike rate 'super drogba' had at Chelsea in his two season before leaving last time (0.32 goals/game; 26 in 81)

After the Partizan game I never thought he would score again, then he put in a decent shift and match winning goal against Everton. Dropped v Chelsea, didn't get much service v Palace and missed 2/3 chances last night.

I don't really know where I stand with the guy right now. He puts in a lot of effort, he's not a selfish player but he just cannot seem to score regularly. Some of his link up play has been strong, I just wish he took confidence from the Everton game where he did actually score and moved forward with it but it doesn't seem like he has. I still don't think we play to his strengths but a good striker would adjust to that and still chip in with the goals.
I understand where you are coming from here. I personally think it's self doubt now and that is going to be hard to break.

Yesterday he got into a great position and tried to cross the ball when I think an on-form striker would have taken the shot.

The problem is, how much time do you give someone?

Pesonally I don't support any player, not into the fan boy thing, love Kane, Mason and Bentaleb as our youth products but Tottenham is who I support not any one player or manager.

I always respect those who try hard when playing for us, much as Naughton is laughed at he always tries his best and for that reason I respect him, same as Soldado he works hard I am far more critical of Ade and Rose as they always seem to be lazy when playing which annoys the hell out of me.

That being said the problems in our strike force are very apparent and if we don't improve this in Jan I really believe it could be the difference between a good and bad season that's how much IMO the position has become an issue for us.

I agree. I'm not a fan boy either, but it's difficult to not stick up for the players who actually bring a lot of quality to the club in terms of their attitude and work rate. I'd rather have hard working and passionate mediocrity than turn into a soulless club like City or Chelsea, where their team ethos has all but disintegrated through 'lazy excellence'

Torres never had class. He was crap when he cost £50m and has been ever since, quite possibly due to an injury that crippled his pace (much like Owen).

Shevchenko still scored 22 in 77 for Chelsea, which isn't far off the same strike rate 'super drogba' had at Chelsea in his two season before leaving last time (0.32 goals/game; 26 in 81)

:dier:

I understand where you are coming from here. I personally think it's self doubt now and that is going to be hard to break.

Yesterday he got into a great position and tried to cross the ball when I think an on-form striker would have taken the shot.

The problem is, how much time do you give someone?

I don't think it's about time now, I'm concerned that the training isn't doing the trick - he should be on intensive finishing in training to get some self belief & confidence back, but from what I've seen from the SpursTV training vids, he doesn't seem to be doing much different in 5 a side than in a match?

I agree. I'm not a fan boy either, but it's difficult to not stick up for the players who actually bring a lot of quality to the club in terms of their attitude and work rate. I'd rather have hard working and passionate mediocrity than turn into a soulless club like City or Chelsea, where their team ethos has all but disintegrated through 'lazy excellence'
I agree with what you're saying but the AGUEROOOOOOOOOOOO moments have been amazing and I'd love that........

Sorry guys

So class isn't permanent? Or did he never have class?

He never had class - class is about more than ability, it's about attitude and work rate. Just the same as how Michael Owen never had class. They're both examples of good footballers who had only pace in their locker.

Rooney has class, as evidenced by his ability to constantly evolve his football to fit the team/position he plays in. Soldado has done the same, when he's not scoring he's at least adding value to the team and plugging away.

As previously mentioned, Torres wasn't a class player when they signed him IMO

He scored 81 in 140 games for Liverpool, 65 in 102 in the premier league. Both rates better than a goal every 2 games. Add that to important goals for Spain I think you could argue he was a class player who suffered once he left Liverpool. Not sure how this is relevant mind...

He scored 81 in 140 games for Liverpool, 65 in 102 in the premier league. Both rates better than a goal every 2 games. Add that to important goals for Spain I think you could argue he was a class player who suffered once he left Liverpool. Not sure how this is relevant mind...

I'd describe that as form, though. As soon as he lost his pace, he fell to pieces, which for me is evidence of form rather than class.

Giggs compensated by switching inside and reinvented himself as a top class playmaker. So many examples of class over form, imo.

Last edited:
He never had class - class is about more than ability, it's about attitude and work rate. Just the same as how Michael Owen never had class. They're both examples of good footballers who had only pace in their locker.

Rooney has class, as evidenced by his ability to constantly evolve his football to fit the team/position he plays in. Soldado has done the same, when he's not scoring he's at least adding value to the team and plugging away.
Dude, no way does that granny shagger have class. Paul Newman had class.
Rooney is a good footballer with more than pace in his locker

Well that's a whole new debate you're opening up - the definition of "class". Nonetheless it's still a cliche. I like Soldado - he's a trier, but ultimately forwards that don't score will go the way of dogs that chase cars.

Back
Top Bottom