Rodrigo Bentancur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If u guys wonder how does he play not looking at the YT compilations which are sometimes misleading. Im Juve fan and was watching him regulary for at least few years now.

- he cant play under pressure - thats what was the most irritiating in him for any Juve fan, this guy would loose so many dangerous balls when pressed that we really couldnt trust him anymore.
We already have many of those. He will fit here very well.

- he cant play under pressure - thats what was the most irritiating in him for any Juve fan, this guy would loose so many dangerous balls when pressed that we really couldnt trust him anymore
That’s strange because he’s actually in the 90th percentile for successful passes under pressure in the past calendar year

That’s strange because he’s actually in the 90th percentile for successful passes under pressure in the past calendar year

stats are one thing, but when u watch a player week by week u can clearly see that they are sometimes misleading.
He cant play underpressure at all. At Juve we always use one player in so called regista position - meaning midfielder who plays closest to the defence and is pressed the most. It always was a catastrophe when Bentancur was played there. He tends to be really clumsy when pressed.
We as a team are generally vunerable to pressing, but really if I had to name the worst guy in this aspect its defo Bentancur and probably every Juve fan will tell u this.

stats are one thing, but when u watch a player week by week u can clearly see that they are sometimes misleading.
He cant play underpressure at all. At Juve we always use one player in so called regista position - meaning midfielder who plays closest to the defence and is pressed the most. It always was a catastrophe when Bentancur was played there. He tends to be really clumsy when pressed.
We as a team are generally vunerable to pressing, but really if I had to name the worst guy in this aspect its defo Bentancur and probably every Juve fan will tell u this.
Sounds like another player who would benefit from pursuing the ball higher up the pitch like PEH.

Still devoid of a passer in the central areas. Genuinely believe Winks will keep his place, although I hope Harvey gets more game time.

I think Conte had realised this and hence why he blocked the loan move.

You clearly have a far more informed opinion than me which I respect.

Like with any player I’ll judge on what he does for us, but I appreciate why you seem concerned.

Does this extend to his time under Sarri?

....Because we've been told that Bentancur did well under him.

Rodrigo Bentancur to link up with Tottenham on Thursday but must wait for work permit to train with squad
newFile-1.jpg

Does this extend to his time under Sarri?

....Because we've been told that Bentancur did well under him.
Yeah, thats true, it all went downhill for him after Pjanic left Juve, as we probably lost the reference point of the team in midfield and other players had to stand up. It didnt work at all for him, he is definitely not a leader, but can do quite good in a working midfield. The season with Sarri was probably his best period at Juve - if im not wrong he was 50m rated back then - partly due to his age of course, but still.

You clearly have a far more informed opinion than me which I respect.

Like with any player I’ll judge on what he does for us, but I appreciate why you seem concerned.
Thats the best thing to do, im not sure how he will do in new enviroment, wish him the best. He probably needed a change himself, so it might do good for him.

Oh great, that's my next week off work in a few weeks time ruined, thanks a lot. :(

Jokes of course - that's a fascinating resource for those of us interested to see how stats compare to the 'eye view' - I might see if I can ask my lovely and supportive GF if she will at some point run this for all Spurs players, put it in Excel with the names hidden, and see if I can work out which profile is which player - that would go a reasonable way towards giving me confidence that this data is of genuine value... thanks for posting. :)

The sideways passing? Yeah he likes that. Very unambitious passer of the ball and has been accused of being overly safe. He offers some of the work rate/tackling that Hojbjerg gets through, and he keeps his passing game simple. Better at winning the ball that Hojbjerg though, but honestly probably less of an attacking threat.

We absolutely still need another CM who offers a more progressive passing range. Someone in there who is brave and wants to carry the ball forward & also will look to pass forwards most of the time. That won't come cheap.
Maybe that's where Kulusevski comes in?

Great, if he's good for his South American international side then he must be good for us, mustn't he?

I joke of course - GLC was a weird case that I don't think we'll ever really understand (though we might learn a lot about him in the next 4 months...). A goal for his country can only help Bentancur's confidence etc - let's hope he gets a couple nice and early for us too, then perhaps he'll be much more than the permanently deep-sitting only-sideways-passing player that some on here have suggested. Really excited now to see what him and Kulusevski bring (they'd need to be scoring regular own goals for their contribution to be less than those we've shipped out...). :)

EDIT: Watching it again, I know you can't see him in the earlier part of the move, but it's good that he had the instinct to burst into that position at the right time, rather than sit back waiting for the ball to break so he could defend it. So he can't be 100% defensive / possession minded.

Oh great, that's my next week off work in a few weeks time ruined, thanks a lot. :(

Jokes of course - that's a fascinating resource for those of us interested to see how stats compare to the 'eye view' - I might see if I can ask my lovely and supportive GF if she will at some point run this for all Spurs players, put it in Excel with the names hidden, and see if I can work out which profile is which player - that would go a reasonable way towards giving me confidence that this data is of genuine value... thanks for posting. :)
It’s a lovely site but can take a while to navigate as ours a bit on the ugly side. But very useful. I’m no statto and I do prefer the eye test, but when someone says something which contravenes what I’ve understood what elsewhere, a site at least gives me a basis to argue a point, even if I’m still wrong 😂

Back
Top Bottom