Rudiger claims he heard monkey chants

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

People are too black and white. There can be a middle ground - IE he misinterpreted what he heard.
He doesn't have to be lying about it.
People always have to sit on either extremity of the argument these days. Rarely are people prepared to accept that a middle ground even exists.

This applies to all walks of life, and social media and the state of politics can be blamed for causing this toxic culture.

So why did it conventionally happen after he blatantly cheated to get Son sent off?
Odd question. If it happened at all (I don't fucking know any more than you do) then there's a good chance it would've been because somebody in the crowd was angry at him for getting Son sent off. How would you not see that as the most likely time in which he would get abused?

Hang on, he also made monkey gestures with his hands, indicating that he saw said racism too. So if he just heard rather than saw, he's just fuckin guessing the chants he heard were racist. If he didn't actually see anything (and nothings come to light) he could have heard any old fuckin vague chant which he assumed to be a monkey chant. Big difference.
Not sure the actions matter. How often have you shouted “phone!” to someone and made the pinkie and thumb gesture? Or have you ever called someone a wanker and not done the sign for it?

Seeing a racist act hasn’t been reported anywhere, just hearing it.

I haven't seen it reported anywhere that he saw monkey gestures.

The Independent said:
The Chelsea defender reported monkey taunts from the home supporters ...

In posting a series of tweets about the incident on Twitter, Rudiger revealed that he saw more than one individual targeting him

I don't see anything in his tweets that he saw people making monkey gestures.
I don't see anything in the club statement about gestures either.

I don't see anything in his tweets that he saw people making monkey gestures.
I didn't say there was anything in his tweets, I was just pointing out that it had been reported that he "saw" fans racist abuse. You said you hadn't seen it reported. Nothing more or less than that mate.

Last edited:
I didn't say there was anything in his tweets, I just pointing out that it had been reported that he "saw" fans racist abuse. You said you hadn't seen it reported. Nothing more or less than that mate.
Ok but I'm just pointing out that The independent wrongly reported. Made it up or a genuine mistake? Another conundrum.

Ok but I'm just pointing out that The independent wrongly reported. Made it up or a genuine mistake? Another conundrum.
Well having just read the 4 tweets myself I can see how it would be easily misinterpreted if he was saying it was solely verbal abuse...

It is really sad to see racism again at a football match, but I think it's very important to talk about it in public. If not, it will be forgotten again in a couple of days (as always). (1/4)

If not, then there must have been witnesses in the stadium who saw and heard the incident. It's just such a shame that racism still exists in 2019. When will this nonsense stop? (4/4)

See and saw would heavily suggest actions rather than words? It could definitely easily be interpreted that way anyhow, especially as in the last tweet he distinguishes between seeing and hearing.

People are too black and white. There can be a middle ground - IE he misinterpreted what he heard.
He doesn't have to be lying about it.
Was that deliberate....?
That's what started this mess in the first places....
If only people were a bit more 'grey'!

Still, in about 6 generations or so, we'll all be a 'beige' shade of some variety ...and hopefully all racism will be rendered irrelevant!

Well having just read the 4 tweets myself I can see how it would be easily misinterpreted if he was saying it was solely verbal abuse...

It is really sad to see racism again at a football match, but I think it's very important to talk about it in public. If not, it will be forgotten again in a couple of days (as always). (1/4)

If not, then there must have been witnesses in the stadium who saw and heard the incident. It's just such a shame that racism still exists in 2019. When will this nonsense stop? (4/4)

See and saw would heavily suggest actions rather than words? It could definitely easily be interpreted that way anyhow, especially as in the last tweet he distinguishes between seeing and hearing.
Surely if he SAW a monkey gesture, so would the Sky TV/CCTV cameras... as let's face it, if someone 'boos' oir makes chants whilst wearing a scarf over their mouths, it's a lot harder to make out!
What he claims he heard, and what he claims he SAW needn't necessarily be the same thing!

Was that deliberate....?
That's what started this mess in the first places....
If only people were a bit more 'grey'!

Still, in about 6 generations or so, we'll all be a 'beige' shade of some variety ...and hopefully all racism will be rendered irrelevant!
I don't think it ever will, there are many cases of people of the same colour being racist to each other. But racism isn't just about colour anyway. Even if racism didn't exist there would many things that people would still fight about.

Why is this thread become active again? Nothing new to report. If The Police or club state there is evidence of Racism then I will be disappointed and sad that people will think that a Spurs supporter has done this. Despite the knowledge that many tourists and non Spurs Supporters get tickets. However I also know people say things to get attention and claim to know things they do not. I cannot understand any real Spurs supporter who almost seems to want it to be true and wants his twitter account to receive more attention as it will not be in the club's interests. I see we are not talking about what is happening to the arrested Chelsea Racist. Has he been suspended from going to Chelsea matches? Lets wait and see the outcome and condemn anyone found guilty although I suspect the outcome will not be clear cut and the stigma will remain.

The THST are pushing this and are demanding answers from the so called investigation.
To date no other person other that the player himself has reported any incidents, not a single one of the 4 match side officials or fellow players or coaching staff or fans from Chelsea has heard a single thing.

So as it stands, our club has been dragged through the tabloids and been damned to hell and back by those “hypocrites” on Sky sports solely on the back of the players word.
Guilty until proven innocent seems to be the thought process here.....
There should be a thorough investigation and if any Spurs fan is proven guilty of such an act then he or she or they should get bans, and the player is entitled to a full apology from the club. Likewise if no incident actually took place (although nearly impossible to prove however) then the same should be expected from the player and Chelsea.

What infuriates me most about all this is not Rudiger but the media; especially outlets that should know better eg the BBC and The Times , both of which immediately reported this as fact. The club's reputation, our reputation as fans and the reputation of football in general has been damaged and the BBC won't be having a slot on the 10 o' clock news telling the public they made a mistake.

What infuriates me most about all this is not Rudiger but the media; especially outlets that should know better eg the BBC and The Times , both of which immediately reported this as fact. The club's reputation, our reputation as fans and the reputation of football in general has been damaged and the BBC won't be having a slot on the 10 o' clock news telling the public they made a mistake.
I think what I find strange is, as others have pointed out, there have been plenty of confirmed incidents since Rudiger's report (including abuse of Son in the exact same game). NONE of those confirmed incidents have received nearly the amount of attention as did the one against us.

Very strange.

I don't think it ever will, there are many cases of people of the same colour being racist to each other. But racism isn't just about colour anyway. Even if racism didn't exist there would many things that people would still fight about.
To be honest, some of the most racist people I know are from supposed 'ethnic minorities' ...and I'm related to quite a few!!

Back
Top Bottom