Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whenever someone young is brought through elsewhere, usually a player but in Nagelsmann's semi unique case a manager, people complain why don't we ever do that anymore? Then when we do, ie Rodon, or have the opportunity, ie Mason, people moan about us being cheap and wanting proven commodities.

Now I know they aren't all the same people doing both, but I bet there's a bloody big crossover!
All I ask for is a plan that makes sense for the direction of the club as a whole, and to support than plan and see it through.

Levy is generally pretty good at the first bit, but fucks up the second over and over.

It's funny because for the last 17 months I've repeatedly read that Jose wasn't right for Spurs, Chelsea scum, dinosaur, winning didn't matter if it wasn't the Tottenham way, made us fee disconnected from the club etc...

Now we have the youngest top flight manager almost ever, Spurs through and through, feel good story, saying all the right words re playing philosophy, etc...

And all I'm hearing is 'well I mean, it's too soon, we might not win enough, we need someone with experience, a proven winner...'

:pochrolleyes:

I know there's a lot of middle ground between Mourinho and Mason, but fuck me, he could turn out to be some kind of football management savant! If he were to win every remaining game, IF, we'd be stupid not to let him carry on.
Does he want to do that?

Mate, of course, it happens in some cases but across all managerial changes, it's rare, that's the point. The norm is there is no bounce, the exception is there some.

There is more evidence to support a manager has improved teams but initially struggled ergo they didn't get a bounce.
Im not disagreeing with you at all. Just that there is a good chance of getting a new manager bounce at our club because of how disgruntled a few players were and that they will suddenly put in twice as much effort which could give that bounce. We will see how it goes.

It's funny because for the last 17 months I've repeatedly read that Jose wasn't right for Spurs, Chelsea scum, dinosaur, winning didn't matter if it wasn't the Tottenham way, made us fee disconnected from the club etc...

Now we have the youngest top flight manager almost ever, Spurs through and through, feel good story, saying all the right words re playing philosophy, etc...

And all I'm hearing is 'well I mean, it's too soon, we might not win enough, we need someone with experience, a proven winner...'

:pochrolleyes:

I know there's a lot of middle ground between Mourinho and Mason, but fuck me, he could turn out to be some kind of football management savant! If he were to win every remaining game, IF, we'd be stupid not to let him carry on.
Expecting to win everygame is too much considering the squad. But if we were to win most and do well in the two big games, we have to let him have a go.

Im not disagreeing with you at all. Just that there is a good chance of getting a new manager bounce at our club because of how disgruntled a few players were and that they will suddenly put in twice as much effort which could give that bounce. We will see how it goes.
Sure and of course we are all hoping for just that.

In fairness to Ryan, even as a young player he did have a reputation of being a very serious student of the game, and he has, since retiring from playing, had his head down and working at the job in front of him. I think that, between him, Powell, and Ledley, we have a very good group of guys who do get how football is played in 2021, and how to talk to modern players. I don't know that they will be a world-beating team who can give us long-term success against the likes of City, simply because they don't have the experience to draw on. But I do think they are quite bright, and I would be really, really happy to see them have a good run, even if it is only short-term.

I 99 percent think we need a manager with more experience in the offseason.

that 1 percent is if they’re really thinking of southgate. Give me a year of Mason and friends over that.
Or Martinez

Stick with Ryan if those two are the alternatives

Does he want to do that?
Well that's another issue altogether, if he did well and was offered it abd turned it down at least the club tried.

All I'm saying is he shouldn't be discounted purely on age/experience, how many are clamouring for Nagelsmann, well a top flight club took the chance on him at 28.

It's all based on a hypothetical that could well be obliterated by teatime Sunday anyhow, I'm just surprised how many wouldn't be up for him getting the job if he excels in the run in.

Always liked him as a player , limited certainly but always gave his all for the team and you could tell how much of an honour it was for him to play for Tottenham
Never thought he was good enough to play for us as a footballer . But such likeable humble, pleasant guy . Completely the opposite of the ex manager. Hope he does really well as a manager.

Back
Top Bottom