Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He was the weak link in the first half. He is clearly lacking confidence but his awareness is also questionable.

We broke an Everton attack up, hjobierg gets the ball and head up to pass out to Sess and Sess is stood on his heels five yards away from Davies. Hjobierg then gets groans from the crowd as he has to turn back

He was the weak link in the first half. He is clearly lacking confidence but his awareness is also questionable.

We broke an Everton attack up, hjobierg gets the ball and head up to pass out to Sess and Sess is stood on his heels five yards away from Davies. Hjobierg then gets groans from the crowd as he has to turn back
His attempt at a rugby tackle on that ugly kid was a fucking joke.

I certainly don't think this chap should be starting, he needs to be loaned out to a bottom 5 PL team for a season long loan. Too late now obviously but in the summer this needs to be done.

Reggie doesn't quite cut it for me either, he'd be a sound option as back up. I think it's players like Reggie where they've had a decent chance to express themselves and we now need to change our silly give him 3-4 seasons to settle in bollocks and just accept its not quite worked out as we hoped and buy a decent left wing back. We need more ruthlessness in this department if we want to transition from a nearly team to a stable and reliable team to challenge for at least one or two bits of silverware year on year.

I thought he was good offensively, probably get a goal/assist if Son got his head up on one of those early chances. Defensively he was poor, and was losing the ball in every other possession.

Any idea how long he may be out for?

I can’t believe how negative fans are. A 21 year old who’s getting into a bit of rhythm after not playing a run of games for 2 years, showing he’s got ability, who opens up the opposition to create the first crucial goal. And all ‘fans’ say is Davies made the goal 😂 What a negative place this is! Few players would have had the pace to make good on Davies pass.

Because Son plays as a second forward when Kane drops deep Sessengon doesn’t always have as much support as our right flank. Sessengon has been doing fine. Just a few fans have an agenda.

For me it’s not even close Regi is miles ahead.

But conte seems to see something. Fuck knows what. It’s very confusing.
What are you seeing from Reggie!? I am amazed people see such quality from him. To me it’s obvious Sessengon has great potential - faster, younger, stronger.

But they both compliment each other, and should push each other on. Sessengon offers more in attack for me and possibly defensively too if given time. Currently Reggie is calmer defensively but occasionally lacks a bit of power and pace.

Last edited:
What are you seeing from Reggie!? I am amazed people see such quality from him. To me it’s obvious Sessengon has great potential - faster, younger, stronger.

But they both compliment each other, and should push each other on. Sessengon offers more in attack for me and possibly defensively too if given time. Currently Reggie is calmer defensively but occasionally lacks a bit of power and pace.

I’m not even a huge fan of Reguilon, but the bloke is absolutely rapid. Fastest player in our squad most likely. No way is Sessegnon (who I’m a supporter of) faster than him.

Kids soft he just is. You know that thing that makes Rose a mardy drama queen...Well its actually handy in professional athletes. I think we need two LCB. When people say Spence at Forest has an attitude problem....GOOD! Buy him then get a player for him to compete with I vote Lamptey. I don't rate either Reguilon or Sessingnon.

Last edited:
No way. Reguilon way faster. Much more aggressive too. Seeing Sess's body language I'm not sure he has the confidence or the nastiness to succeed.

Look at Rose and Walker - our best pairing ever probably. Neither known for being very nice. Ditto someone like Ashley Cole, complete c*nt but outstanding LB. Sess looks like the guy you'd be happy to be taking your daughter out.

Edit - btw I really do not have an agenda here. Call it as I see it. I used to play LB so quite often will take a close look at who's playing there. btw I called Rose as being a really outstanding LB prospect once H had moved him there one time. Up till then a champo standard LW at best.

Last edited:
Kids soft he just is. You know that thing that makes Rose a mardy drama queen...Well its actually handy professional athletes. I think we need two LCB. When people say Spence at Forest has an attitude problem....GOOD! Buy him then get a player for him to compete with I vote Lamptey. I don't rate either Reguilon or Sessingnon.
I think they're talking about Marcus Edward type attitude problem, not Lamela or early Dele type attitude problem.

Bit worried about injury probs but I felt the same with Bale before he got established.
I don't think Sessegnon has as big a possible upside as Gareth but I feel positive about him,

No way. Reguilon way faster. Much more aggressive too. Seeing Sess's body language I'm not sure he has the confidence or the nastiness to succeed.

Look at Rose and Walker - our best pairing ever probably. Neither known for being very nice. Ditto someone like Ashley Cole, complete c*nt but outstanding LB. Sess looks like the guy you'd be happy to be taking your daughter out.

Edit - btw I really do not have an agenda here. Call it as I see it. I used to play LB so quite often will take a close look at who's playing there. btw I called Rose as being a really outstanding LB prospect once H had moved him there one time. Up till then a champo standard LW at best.

How were Rose and Walker at 21? I’ll remind you: not as good or consistent as Sessengon now. Walker was often castigated when young as was Rose. Sessengon just needs games.

felt he has been better (more positive) at times in last couple of matches maybe be a confidence thing with him
don't see loaning him out again will help, we can see if he is positive he is an asset,
Conte needs to tell him to be Positive and attack when he gets the ball

People expecting perfection from him and Reguilón it seems. Both are good players, Sess needing to assert himself more perhaps but the run off the ball and then the cross for the first goal were class and an indicator of what could be. He’s 21, there’s bags of improvement in front of him. Yes, he needs to take care of the ball at times but the beauty of playing with 3 centre backs is that it’s far easier to cover than if he was playing left back.

As for Reggie, he has games where you wonder what planet he’s from but his energy and proactivity are a big part of what we need and he can often be galvanising. A lot of similarities with peak Rose in my opinion, who even at his best could be caught up the pitch and guilty of sloppy play, but without having Reguilón’s delivery in my opinion.

I’d be happy if Madrid activated Reggie’s clause so we could reinvest in a very good career LWB next summer to fight out with Sessegnon, but I’m more than comfortable with those two being our options if we invest to improve the areas of more pressing concern.
Yes, there are definitely more pressing needs...LCB, RWB, CM, ST and back-up GK.

But in an ideal world (not really the Spurs way then...) we could also upgrade at LWB . Yes, Sess is only 21 and could still turn into the star we thought we were buying years ago. But how likely is it really? And how long would it take? Especially when you consider his injury record. If I was in charge and someone offered me 15 mil + bonuses, I'd seriously consider pushing the button. Same with Reggy. On his day he can be a pretty good player, but them days are too few and far between. I really don't see Real buying him back, at least not for 40 mil. But maybe a team like Atletico or Sevilla could. Or Juve. If an offer came in around the 25-30 mil + bonuses mark, I'd definitely take it.

How were Rose and Walker at 21? I’ll remind you: not as good or consistent as Sessengon now. Walker was often castigated when young as was Rose. Sessengon just needs games.
Well you're digging now.

At just turned 21, Rose had played a grand total of 3 games at LB. The last of which I saw along the touchline v Brum. 2nd half I had a good long look at him and it was bloody obvious that he had it all. Pace, aggression, great tackler, decent cross when needed (already scored THAT goal of the season), super athletic - lack of height not a problem as he had a great leap for headers. Brum btw were well up for that one, they were desperate for a point to avoid relegation. No end of season stroll that day.

Walker had originally started as a forward, but switched to RB late, although not as late as Rose lol. At 20 he was loaned to Villa, became a real fans' favourite, some of them came on our boards to ask if there was a chance to buy him . At 21, back at Spurs, won young PFA POTY. Walker was already a freak of nature - a barrel chested sod who could outsprint anyone, with the strength not to get shoved off the ball, and with an engine to keep going all bloody day.

Interestingly both had scored crucial goals against the goons in narrow 2-1 wins.

So - at age 21, both of them ahead of RS, notwithstanding KW's odd brainfart moment. As for Rose, a lot of "fans" remembered him giving a goal away in the cup at Goons in a 0-2 under Tim Sherwood which clouded judgement for a while. The hate really piled on then.

Ryan S has now played 200 odd games combined club and country. You say he just needs games - I'd say he also needs a lot of proper coaching, Poch style. Poch made DR and KW the best backs in the country, but I'd say they had the nastiness and determination to make it. RS looks at the moment too timid, not nearly assertive enough.

We all hope he makes it, but he'll have to improve a lot, and I don't think it's just games. A lot of football at PL level is played in the head.

And by the way it's Sessegnon, not Sessengon. Not good optics if you're arguing the toss.

And that's me done. If you want the last word you're welcome.

felt he has been better (more positive) at times in last couple of matches maybe be a confidence thing with him
don't see loaning him out again will help, we can see if he is positive he is an asset,
Conte needs to tell him to be Positive and attack when he gets the ball

This.

Its like he is sometimes apologetic for his presence.

I think if someone can unlock the confidence issue then a player of some quality exists, whose principle asset would be pushing forward his opponent than his defensive strengths.

But his body needs to be more able (but not yet developed) as does his mind and neither are holding up at present.

Last edited:
Well you're digging now.

At just turned 21, Rose had played a grand total of 3 games at LB. The last of which I saw along the touchline v Brum. 2nd half I had a good long look at him and it was bloody obvious that he had it all. Pace, aggression, great tackler, decent cross when needed (already scored THAT goal of the season), super athletic - lack of height not a problem as he had a great leap for headers. Brum btw were well up for that one, they were desperate for a point to avoid relegation. No end of season stroll that day.

Walker had originally started as a forward, but switched to RB late, although not as late as Rose lol. At 20 he was loaned to Villa, became a real fans' favourite, some of them came on our boards to ask if there was a chance to buy him . At 21, back at Spurs, won young PFA POTY. Walker was already a freak of nature - a barrel chested sod who could outsprint anyone, with the strength not to get shoved off the ball, and with an engine to keep going all bloody day.

Interestingly both had scored crucial goals against the goons in narrow 2-1 wins.

So - at age 21, both of them ahead of RS, notwithstanding KW's odd brainfart moment. As for Rose, a lot of "fans" remembered him giving a goal away in the cup at Goons in a 0-2 under Tim Sherwood which clouded judgement for a while. The hate really piled on then.

Ryan S has now played 200 odd games combined club and country. You say he just needs games - I'd say he also needs a lot of proper coaching, Poch style. Poch made DR and KW the best backs in the country, but I'd say they had the nastiness and determination to make it. RS looks at the moment too timid, not nearly assertive enough.

We all hope he makes it, but he'll have to improve a lot, and I don't think it's just games. A lot of football at PL level is played in the head.

And by the way it's Sessegnon, not Sessengon. Not good optics if you're arguing the toss.

And that's me done. If you want the last word you're welcome.
Lets Go Yes GIF by Cameo

Back
Top Bottom