Sack the manager or Sack the board

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sack the Manager or Sack the Board

• Sack the manager

• Sack the Board

• Both

• Neither. Everything is sweet

• We're just fucking cursed, that's all

Results are only viewable after voting.
Apologies, only it's twice you said I was whining (3, if you include this post)
:dierpochhug:

Just done it.

Should we cancel the contracts of our deadwood as Woolwich have done.
I wouldn't know what Woolwich have done.

But yes. If Levy did that insted of demanding unrealistic fees then I'd be all for it.

Our board did a good window for once. Mourinho has to go.
Did it really though? If we actually analyze it...

Hart - bleugh.
Hojbjerg - Excellent signing. Full credit.

Doherty- Bang average right back and anyone who has watch him closely over the last number of years (you would hope our scouts have) would/should have known he was never gonna cut it at the top level.

Reguilon - Excellent signing, full credit.

Carlos Vinicius - decent but our manager
doesn’t appear to rate/trust him.

Bale - finished, let’s be honest. A marketing signing and nothing more.

Rodon - a second choice cheap punt.

Last summer was a decent summer but not the incredible all backing one some make out.

Edit: not disputing for one second that Mourinho has to go, mind.

Under 50% now to get rid of the board. That’s not what we were looking for at all. Shame.
Oh really? What number were we looking for then mate? And are we calling 45% voting sack the board or both a ringing endorsement of Levy?

Right you are then :mourfacepalm:

Under 50% now to get rid of the board. That’s not what we were looking for at all. Shame.

Please do tell how someone "gets rid of the board"?

Newcastle fans have been at it for over a decade and their club is worth a fraction of ours.

In other words, it just ain't gonna happen, even if it was 100%!!

Oh really? What number were we looking for then mate? And are we calling 45% voting sack the board or both a ringing endorsement of Levy?

I wasn’t looking for any number really. Asking if we want to sack the board is like asking if we want to lasso the moon. Pretty pointless really.

I’m sure you were looking for higher than 50% though as it would somehow prove to you that you were in the majority, when you just aren’t.

And no, the figures don’t show a ringing endorsement but they do show an endorsement.

I didn't want the manager in the first place, I disagree with his football outlook, not much more to be said so we'll skip that part.

If and when he goes though we need further change than that. Running the club should be completely split up. Levy as Chairman/CEO should focus on all the off-field/financial stuff, and a DOF/Technical Director/Head of Football Operations, or whatever you want to call it, runs all things on the football side.

Levy/Lewis/The Board can input and set the parameters for how they see and wish the club is run - play style, transfer policy, youth policy, budget etc. and agree the "philosophy" and what we're trying to do with the DOF-type figure. It's then his job to go out and achieve this (hopefully clear) vision.

They are responsible and oversee our Chief Scout/Recruitment heads and wider network and that we're identifying players relevant to what we're trying to do, The Academy heads and player development again matches what we're trying to do, the medical and sports science staff etc and that each department is in the best shape it can be. I think this is where, especially scouting wise, we've suffered in recent years and had no one really in place to do much about it.

And one of those departments is the first team, and they appoint a "Head Coach" based on the criteria set out and what the club wants and values.

Hopefully then everything is pointing in the same direction, and you get consistent decision making to the benefit of the team. You don't go from Poch (high press and intense game, with a fluid attack) to Jose (drop deep and counter, rigid game plan, likes speedy wide players good in transition) to the next one and probably lurching to something else yet again. And we consistently get players in, whether that's signed or from the academy, who fit what we're doing and have a role/place ready for them to come into.

Finding this type of person wouldn't be easy. Really it needs someone with a big football brain who seriously knows their stuff and probably has a fair bit of experience. Rangnick being one example, but I don't know who else would be out there. I think it's something we need to do though, to get to the very top table and bridge the continuing financial gap I think we need to be creative and a bit different and more importantly ensure best practice is happening across all the various "departments" that make up the football club.
Levy being a control freak & wanting to stick his nose too much in to the football side of things is causing us so many problems.

50% wanting to see the back of ENIC is also quite refreshing. People are finally starting to open their eyes.
Gradually rising over time in general. People just need time for bad decisions by ENIC/Levy to be destructive way down the line. If your foresee it then you are just a bad fan. Like with no signings, then not backing poch, replacing poch with jose etc. We seem to prefer not to do anything about it until its too late. Then just react.

It all depends on what people want, if you want success then enic are not the one's to deliver that.
But if your thing is decades of organic growth and the till ringing over with bundles of money pouring in then enic are your boys.
That's a good way of putting it. You got some fans wanting success & some wanting profit. Neither seem willing to budge.

Great post.

And respect to those who prefer the latter. We all have a right to our own opinions and expectations.
Yeah it's fair enough if some prefer a organic good business model rather than major trophies. We are all different. Just like some would love the league cup where as others call it the tin pot cup.

Should we cancel the contracts of our deadwood as Woolwich have done.
Do you know how that normally works?
To make it simple, say a player has 6 months left & gets 1m a month.
Does the player normally get about two thirds or what? So 4m of the 6m?

Some very touche people out there when it comes to criticising levy or enic!

Last edited:
Please do tell how someone "gets rid of the board"?

Newcastle fans have been at it for over a decade and their club is worth a fraction of ours.

In other words, it just ain't gonna happen, even if it was 100%!!
As said before. How would you get rid of a manager? Lets say we all want jose gone next week? What's our Plan of action?

I’m no big on ENIC, but Jose got what he wanted and lots of cream cream dollar dollar bill. How are they to blame?
Well its tricky with that logic. As owners can pick the wrong manager who then do a bad job which costs the club a lot of money & time, but then in no way be responsible.

Do you know how that normally works?
To make it simple, say a player has 6 months left & gets 1m a month.
Does the player normally get about two thirds or what? So 4m of the 6m?
I have no idea tbh.
I would imagine that if it was the clubs decision alone, he would get full pay for the length of his contract
If by mutual consent then I'd imagine it would be something along those lines.

In the Woolwich situation, where their contracts were cancelled and they immediately signed for another club, I can't see Woolwich paying them full whack, when they've signed for nothing to another club, so I imagine it being something like:

6 months left on contract @ £1m per month.
Signs for another club on £500k a month.
Woolwich pay £250k a month, for the length of their new contract.

Pure guess work on my part. give them a free transfer, saving £750k per month on their wage bill.

I have no idea tbh.
I would imagine that if it was the clubs decision alone, he would get full pay for the length of his contract
If by mutual consent then I'd imagine it would be something along those lines.

In the Woolwich situation, where their contracts were cancelled and they immediately signed for another club, I can't see Woolwich paying them full whack, when they've signed for nothing to another club, so I imagine it being something like:

6 months left on contract @ £1m per month.
Signs for another club on £500k a month.
Woolwich pay £250k a month, for the length of their new contract.

Pure guess work on my part. give them a free transfer, saving £750k per month on their wage bill.
Yeah that sounds right. I think the key is if they got a team to go to right away.
Then you can negotiate. If they don't, then I guess you just pay them the full amount to get them off your books & away from the club.
That's been the biggest change in the last few years. Teams with players on good wages but can't shift them. Way more loan signings of big players these days. I think we will always have at least 1 or 2 players not wanted but on a decent contract. Part of modern football now.

Back
Top Bottom