Sack the manager or Sack the board

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sack the Manager or Sack the Board

• Sack the manager

• Sack the Board

• Both

• Neither. Everything is sweet

• We're just fucking cursed, that's all

Results are only viewable after voting.
One problem seems to be the absence of a clear plan to continously recruit quality players. No matter the manager hired, you still need to have good players.

City and United throw lots of money at it, chelsea have a massive farming and loaning youngsters system with the occassional splash, and liverpool seem to do a mix of big money + great scouting. Madrid throw money but at relatively younger players, RBL use RBS as a feeder team, while Bayern buys out the domestic market like ManU used to do.

Initially we seem to be doing great scouting (with Toby, Son etc) but later on seem to switch to trying to make big signings. The latter approach, except for Ndombele, didnt work out so well imo

Once the system is settled, then any manager can see and be evaluated for fit. Some managers can manage superstar egos, some are better with youth etc No point getting a manager and then putting in a system where he is handicapped.

You're the one missing the point. When the fuck did i say i can get the manager sacked?? I said the board can sack the manager (and they will do)

I'm saying anyone who says sack the board is wasting their time because they can't say how or when this can happen? Nobody can 'sack the board'. It can't happen so it's fucking pointless to say that's what we should do. Unless you can explain how it can be done.
Levy could take a non exec role and hire a CEO

I doubt he will sell his stake until the club is sold so he will always have a certain level of influence

No one can dispute this team has been heading in the wrong direction these last couple of years. And I get there's gonna be loads of Anti -Jose sentiment out there tonight.
But seriously. Would merely sacking Jose just be papering over the cracks? Would it only serve in buying Levy another couple of years to realise his self proclaimed dream of creaming the profits from his Multi sports and Entertainment complex?
Personally I'm getting fed up just being the best run club in football.
New owners, New start, New future
Neither.

These shit players got Pochettino sacked, don't make the mistake and sack a proven winner.
Bin some of the players, keep the one's that deserve it.

We're not sacking the board. Just recall how badly off we were before Levy et Al. We aren't entitled to be the top club in the league, UTD, Liverpool, City Chelsea and even the goons have tremendous resources and well run enough clubs to also be up at the top. People forget where we were and how far we have come.

Granted, if i were the boss, I wouldn't be so happy with this latest appointment, or some of the previous wildcards like Ramos or AvB. But people have forgotten the last manager in pure win ratio was one of our most successful ever. But football isn't like what it was 60 years ago, you need more than our best manager ever to win the league. It's a 10 year mission of huge resource and long term planning that's needed.

Of course they have, thats undeniable.
They have won the champions league and premier league after loosing a champions league final.
Whereas we lost a champions league final and then crumbled and served up this pathetic attempt at playing for the badge and fans...
I know right. Can't believe some are actually disputing it.

Last edited:
Liverpool’s board look better because of Klopp. He took a bunch of average players and a few WC players and made them the best team in the world.

If it wasn’t for Klopp, LFC’s board would be average.
They also opened up the purse at the right time.

the last THFC proper improvement to the first XI before last year was Wanyama in summer 16. LFC bought Mane in, then Salah & Robertson, then Van Dijk, Fabinho and Alison.

And before people start going on about “The Coutinho Money” they also spent £80mil on Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain, both of whom have become barely passable squad players.

Our recruitment should have been at a bare minimum halfway between Liverpool’s and Leicester’s.

Well, you can't sack the board.

That said, at some point, we do need to recognise that there's one common theme to our culture of perpetual failure, and it's ENIC.

Levy bought the players that won 6-1 at Utd

Levy bought the players that looked like Sunday league against Brighton

Levy bought the players that slaughtered Inter at WHL and beat AC Milan away

Levy bought the players that lost to Blackpool a few days later

Levy bought the players that hammered Real Madrid at Wembley

Levy bought the players that lost at home to West Brom

How do new owners stop this erratic curse?

I don't see how you can blame the board for the players that don't work out, we know Mourinho actually approved pretty much all of these signings. And that's not to say we should be sacking Jose any time soon, two months ago we were top of the tree. We're going through a shit patch at the moment and isn't good to watch but we just need to keep everything in perspective a bit IMO.

This shit patch is not isolated.

We had the best summer transfer window in recent memory and yet here we are now in the form we were before football went in to lockdown last year. You know, when we had just lost 2 drawn 1 in the prem, knocked out the champions league and knocked out the cup at home by the side bottom of the league.

We were collectively shitting the bed about the upcoming games against West Ham and Manchester United, but mercifully, Mourinho got a national lockdown to implement his defensive bullshit on our side.

Chelsea next, and a draw is the best we can hope for. West Brom likewise. Our team is so pathetically inept and ineffective as an attacking threat, despite the best summer window in memory.

Shit patch my arse, this is Mourinho's football mentality and philosophy. He needs to go, but Levy won't do it until it has become drastic i.e. 14th in the table cut adrift, or City have put a load past us in the cup final.

Lest we forget, we had a very favorable draw to this cup final - a Lampard managed Chelsea team aside (and look what happened to him).

Mourinho out. Ralph Hasenhuttl in ASAP!

Last edited:
I know was put up straight after the game yesterday

But 84% wanting to get rid of Mourinho is quite overwhelming and scathing.
Don't get me wrong, I voted to get rid...

But it is still only about 90 people, on a thread about whether we should sack the manager. I think overwhelming and scathing is a little bit dramatic.

:moursmall:

50% wanting to see the back of ENIC is also quite refreshing. People are finally starting to open their eyes.
You’ll get that majority sometime John. Just keep going with the polls. But make sure you only post them when we aren’t having a good run of results though. Be poor show to have started this thread less than two months ago when we were top of the league as you’d certainly not have got the answer you are crying out for then.

I didn't want the manager in the first place, I disagree with his football outlook, not much more to be said so we'll skip that part.

If and when he goes though we need further change than that. Running the club should be completely split up. Levy as Chairman/CEO should focus on all the off-field/financial stuff, and a DOF/Technical Director/Head of Football Operations, or whatever you want to call it, runs all things on the football side.

Levy/Lewis/The Board can input and set the parameters for how they see and wish the club is run - play style, transfer policy, youth policy, budget etc. and agree the "philosophy" and what we're trying to do with the DOF-type figure. It's then his job to go out and achieve this (hopefully clear) vision.

They are responsible and oversee our Chief Scout/Recruitment heads and wider network and that we're identifying players relevant to what we're trying to do, The Academy heads and player development again matches what we're trying to do, the medical and sports science staff etc and that each department is in the best shape it can be. I think this is where, especially scouting wise, we've suffered in recent years and had no one really in place to do much about it.

And one of those departments is the first team, and they appoint a "Head Coach" based on the criteria set out and what the club wants and values.

Hopefully then everything is pointing in the same direction, and you get consistent decision making to the benefit of the team. You don't go from Poch (high press and intense game, with a fluid attack) to Jose (drop deep and counter, rigid game plan, likes speedy wide players good in transition) to the next one and probably lurching to something else yet again. And we consistently get players in, whether that's signed or from the academy, who fit what we're doing and have a role/place ready for them to come into.

Finding this type of person wouldn't be easy. Really it needs someone with a big football brain who seriously knows their stuff and probably has a fair bit of experience. Rangnick being one example, but I don't know who else would be out there. I think it's something we need to do though, to get to the very top table and bridge the continuing financial gap I think we need to be creative and a bit different and more importantly ensure best practice is happening across all the various "departments" that make up the football club.

Levy bought the players that won 6-1 at Utd

Levy bought the players that looked like Sunday league against Brighton

Levy bought the players that slaughtered Inter at WHL and beat AC Milan away

Levy bought the players that lost to Blackpool a few days later

Levy bought the players that hammered Real Madrid at Wembley

Levy bought the players that lost at home to West Brom

How do new owners stop this erratic curse?
Its not a curse no more than thunder is god moving furniture.

We lack a strategy and and an identity now. The closest we came to one was the first three years under Poch then his own vanity betrayed the ethos we had at long last developed. I know this is not popular , but he even more than Levy Pochettino killed us.

He'd built a true meritocracy the basis for all true great sporting success, a culture where team comes first, order and discipline and brotherhood come first. The crest on the shirt is always more than the name of the back.In such a place Walker is shown the door as is Townshend. Then he writes the book with Balague, forgives Rose, and plays a half fit Kane. Throw in Levy under investing in moments where real investments was required and Pochettino buying players that did not meet the requirements of principles he had claimed were sacred (Serge Aurier ). The bond with the players is broken the brotherhood broken and he was clueless how to fix it not even recognisingwhat he broke...There's no curse just mistakes born of ego and weakness.

You’ll get that majority sometime John. Just keep going with the polls. But make sure you only post them when we aren’t having a good run of results though. Be poor show to have started this thread less than two months ago when we were top of the league as you’d certainly not have got the answer you are crying out for then.
If Mourinho is failing at Spurs though, when he's succeeded everywhere else he's managed, then surely the questions asked in the poll are relevant.
I guess we all have different opinions on where the real issue lies, but that's no reason to silence the opinions of those you disagree with

If Mourinho is failing at Spurs though, when he's succeeded everywhere else he's managed, then surely the questions asked in the poll are relevant.
I guess we all have different opinions on where the real issue lies, but that's no reason to silence the opinions of those you disagree with
Not sure how I’m trying to silence opinions by suggesting you post even more polls. I’ll have a think about it though as there may be something I’ve missed there.

Was more making the point that you know you’ll get more support for your anti-Levy / anti-ENIC agenda by asking your questions right after a defeat than you will after a win. Either that or go on the Levy appreciation thread and we’ll, try to silence the opinions of those you disagree with.

Taking any pride in a 50% Levy Out vote after last nights shit show is like posting a thread entitled “is the weather shite?” during a week long rainstorm.

The manager.

This is a failure of Mourinho. All relative and okay maybe we don't have the squad quality that is good enough to win the PL

But nobody tell me Mourinho should not be able to coach us or have added the so called legendary mental fortitude he is famed for.

Hugely disappointed in the overall piece.

Sack the manager. Levy isn’t perfect but he runs the club well, look at some other owners out there, shit look at some previous owners we’ve had. The grass isn’t always greener

Levy needs to sit down and think about how the footballing side should be run, he needs an experienced and previously successful director of football and he needs to just concentrate on the other aspects of being a chairman, because he does those well

Sack the manager. Levy isn’t perfect but he runs the club well, look at some other owners out there, shit look at some previous owners we’ve had. The grass isn’t always greener

Levy needs to sit down and think about how the footballing side should be run, he needs an experienced and previously successful director of football and he needs to just concentrate on the other aspects of being a chairman, because he does those well

It's a shame, as I honestly though that is what Trevor Birch was coming in to do, manage Footballing side, with Levy on to the property side.

Back
Top Bottom