Saving private Ryan

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

According to AVB? If you think Bale and Kane play in the same position you should try watching a bit more closely. Ridiculous comment made to suit your own agenda. Did you ever see Bale as the lone forward in any game he played for Spurs?
I saw him in a free role where the entire team just gave him the ball and prayed.

When I was comparing Kane and Bale, I was pointing out that, in terms of offensive impact, Kane's #'s at that time were quite comparable to the impact Bale had in his best year for us. And that I felt Kane, being two years younger, was going to be even better in future. I still believe both things, although Kane's scoring seems to have kicked up a gear beyond Bale's.

Every time I come into this thread I'm not sure if someone is trying to explain a completely foreign sport to someone else. Lets keep it simple here:

Kane: runs a lot and shoots aiming for the bottom corner
Mason: runs and tackles a lot
Eriksen: runs and score late in games
Lloris/Vorm: pass the ball forward more than anyone else

Did I miss anything?
Dembele?

Ok fine, I was pointing out that in one thread you compared two players who play in different positions (regardless of their offensive impact) and in this you seem to be saying that it is wrong to do that.

Ok fine, I was pointing out that in one thread you compared two players who play in different positions (regardless of their offensive impact) and in this you seem to be saying that it is wrong to do that.
And this is fair, I probably am breaking my own rule there. But Bale wasn't really playing as a winger that year, so I think things are a bit cloudy there.

On judging leftbacks the same way as centrebacks though, I really do think it's silly. They're not doing the same stuff on the pitch, and ideally never should be, if they're doing their jobs right.

Fair enough, I found this unbelievable,
"in an improving Tottenham squad he boasts the most sprints and tackles, the highest percentage of forward passes, as well as the furthest distance run. "
But squawka agrees with you on the % of forward passes (89%, that's impressive).
I can't find any data on who has the most sprints.
Squawka says that Mason has successfully made 28 tackles with a 51% success rate, Danny Rose has successfully made 40 tackles with a 50% success rate. Along with 42 interceptions, 63 clearances and five blocks.
My main issue was with 'furthest distance run' as it has been widely reported that Eriksen has covered more distance than any other BPL player.

If I read between the lines of your posts it seems you have a stick up your arse about Windy giving Mason the MOTM one time over your choice of Eriksen and now claiming that Mason has run more than Eriksen?
I would take a guess that your admiration of Eriksen has slightly biased your view.
I take it that if he would have given Eriksen MOTM that time and stated what was 'widely reported' and Mason covered the 2nd most distance behind Eriksen you would have agreed?
Windy was going by stats given by someone at goal.com, I believe.
That data that you refer to was in the daily mail and supplied by EA Sports.
It also said that Eric Dier was the fastest sprinter at Spurs and 6th quickest player in the league (equal with Raheem Sterling).

So, it's official, Eric Dier is the quickest player at Spurs & 6th fastest player in the EPL

And this is fair, I probably am breaking my own rule there. But Bale wasn't really playing as a winger that year, so I think things are a bit cloudy there.

On judging leftbacks the same way as centrebacks though, I really do think it's silly. They're not doing the same stuff on the pitch, and ideally never should be, if they're doing their jobs right.
Yeah, you cant judge Vertonghen against a left back. Because Vertonghen has never played left back

If I read between the lines of your posts it seems you have a stick up your arse about Windy giving Mason the MOTM one time over your choice of Eriksen and now claiming that Mason has run more than Eriksen?
I would take a guess that your admiration of Eriksen has slightly biased your view.
I take it that if he would have given Eriksen MOTM that time and stated what was 'widely reported' and Mason covered the 2nd most distance behind Eriksen you would have agreed?
Windy was going by stats given by someone at goal.com, I believe.
That data that you refer to was in the daily mail and supplied by EA Sports.
It also said that Eric Dier was the fastest sprinter at Spurs and 6th quickest player in the league (equal with Raheem Sterling).

So, it's official, Eric Dier is the quickest player at Spurs & 6th fastest player in the EPL
I thought Kyle Walker was the fastest man on earth, stats hey

Yeah, you cant judge Vertonghen against a left back. Because Vertonghen has never played left back
Does he play left back right now? Does Danny Rose play centre back right now?

We could compare Vertonghen's games at left back last year against Rose's, then or now, but I wouldn't use the same criteria to compare two people doing different jobs.

What does Pochettino ask centre backs to do, in his system? What does he ask his full backs to do? They aren't doing the same things, so why are you judging them as if they were?

We could compare Vertonghen's games at left back last year against Rose's, then or now, but I wouldn't use the same criteria to compare two people doing different jobs.

What does Pochettino ask centre backs to do, in his system? What does he ask his full backs to do? They aren't doing the same things, so why are you judging them as if they were?
Do you remember why you originally made the stupid assertion? I said that I judged players on watching games not tackling statistics. Vertonghen is both a better left back and centre-back than Rose. The fact you even debate this shows me that you know nothing about football

Furthermore, Vertonghen is just a better footballer. Something stats cant determine, but is true nonetheless

Do you remember why you originally made the stupid assertion? I said that I judged players on watching games not tackling statistics. Vertonghen is both a better left back and centre-back than Rose. The fact you even debate this shows me that you know nothing about football
The fact that you love to make sweeping assertions and engage in long debates about statistics which you don't understand, and then claim they don't matter after attempting to use them speaks for itself.

But, oh enlightened one, what does a left back do? And what did Vertonghen do as a left back so much better than Rose does right now?

This actually isn't a false fact. All you need to do is use your head a little to think and you'll understand.

Defenders tend to sprint back at full pelt if a long ball is played over the top or a cutting pass. They're without the ball (Unlike most wingers/attackers) and only have one thing in mind, which is to defend the keeper. Also consider that most defenders tend to be very tall (Longer sprint stride) and it starts to add up. Most people are fooled by the fact defenders have slow acceleration.

Many attacking players have great acceleration, not great speed, they tend to have the ball at their feet which slows them down and obviously have to assess their options ahead of them.

The fact that you love to make sweeping assertions and engage in long debates about statistics which you don't understand, and then claim they don't matter after attempting to use them speaks for itself.

But, oh enlightened one, what does a left back do? And what did Vertonghen do as a left back so much better than Rose does right now?
Yeah, I dont understand simple mathematics. Only geniuses like yourself can comprehend them. But fail to appreciate a truly quality baller like Vertonghen. I am willing to bet you a fiver that youve not played more than 3 competitive games of adult 3D 11 a-side football in your life. What Vertonghen didnt do was consistently make terrible mistakes that lost us points. As you love stats, Vertonghens defensive errors this season=0

Yeah, I dont understand simple mathematics. Only geniuses like yourself can comprehend them. But fail to appreciate a truly quality baller like Vertonghen. I am willing to bet you a fiver that youve not played more than 3 competitive games of adult 3D 11 a-side football in your life. What Vertonghen didnt do was consistently make terrible mistakes that lost us points. As you love stats, Vertonghens defensive errors this season=0
You still didn't answer my question. What does a left back do?

You still didn't answer my question. What does a left back do?
Play football, I actually played right back myself, to a fairly decent standard. I can tell you a big difference between 2D and 3D is that the ball is actually a sphere, rather than a circle. You have to be able to control a moving sphere to be able to play football. It is not quite as simple as pressing the spacebar on FIFA, you really should try it someday

Play football, I actually played right back myself, to a fairly decent standard. I can tell you a big difference between 2D and 3D is that the ball is actually a sphere, rather than a circle. You have to be able to control a moving sphere to be able to play football. It is not quite as simple as pressing the spacebar on FIFA, you really should try it someday
Thanks for trying to avoid the question. It really shows your quality as a person.

Thanks for trying to avoid the question. It really shows your quality as a person.
Sorry, I would take your questions more seriously if we weren't debating whether Vertonghen is a better defender than Rose. Lets try to be more serious, Gascoigne verses Ruel Fox. I know one of them played centrally and one on the left. Is there anyway we could make a comparison between their footballing talents or would the stats not allow it?

Back
Top Bottom