Saving private Ryan

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It'd be 'per match' - there'd be no point using total distances run if the players your comparing have played different numbers of games.

Re: the tackles stat, it'll be the same issue. Squawka and WhoScored are both powered by Opta, so the logic you're using to get the end result is clearly not the same as mine.

But mine is right. :adewtf:
Okay, so your claim is that Eriksen has run the most in the league, but that Mason is actually topping him but no one aside from you has picked this up. And that 40 divided by 19 is smaller than 29 divided by 18. I see the error of my ways now. :adethumbup:

Thanks for the effort in writing the article and the weekly updates by the way. Keep up the good work.

Okay, so your claim is that Eriksen has run the most in the league, but that Mason is actually topping him but no one aside from you has picked this up. And that 40 divided by 19 is smaller than 29 divided by 18. I see the error of my ways now. :adethumbup:

Thanks for the effort in writing the article and the weekly updates by the way. Keep up the good work.

Do you think Mason is a good player that adds a lot to our team and is one of the first names on the team sheet?

If you do, the why's and if's about it are irrelevant, you effectively agree with Windy. The article wasn't centered around the stats, it was centered around the player and how he's developed.

If you don't it would be nice to hear why exactly, rather than some pedantic rant about a few numbers.

I don't know where you're getting your numbers from. Eriksen's made 25 starts (2082 minutes), Mason 17 starts, 1 sub (1320 minutes).

All of the metrics point towards Mason being ahead here: http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...126/126/61/0/p#tackles_won/tackles_lost#total

No doubt Eriksen's run further than Mason - because Mason's only played 60-odd% of the minutes that Eriksen has. But that'd be a really weird comparison to make - that really would be misusing stats. I'll spell it out more in my next article.

Do you think Mason is a good player that adds a lot to our team and is one of the first names on the team sheet?

If you do, the why's and if's about it are irrelevant, you effectively agree with Windy. The article wasn't centered around the stats, it was centered around the player and how he's developed.

If you don't it would be nice to hear why exactly, rather than some pedantic rant about a few numbers.

Anyway, I'm bored of talking stats now.
1. Eriksen
2. Kane
3. Vertonghen
4. Chadli
On Mason, I would put him at number 5 on that list. Although at the end of the season I could see Bentaleb, Walker and possibly Dembele overtaking him. In my own personal player rating index, others are welcome to other opinions.
[/QUOTE]

I don't know where you're getting your numbers from. Eriksen's made 25 starts (2082 minutes), Mason 17 starts, 1 sub (1320 minutes).

All of the metrics point towards Mason being ahead here: http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...126/126/61/0/p#tackles_won/tackles_lost#total

No doubt Eriksen's run further than Mason - because Mason's only played 60-odd% of the minutes that Eriksen has. But that'd be a really weird comparison to make - that really would be misusing stats. I'll spell it out more in my next article.
I wasn't claiming that Eriksen had made more tackles, what I was looking at claimed that Mason had made 28 tackles and Rose had made 40. Clearly was outdated for Mason. I still don't buy that he has run on average more than Eriksen. I stand corrected on the tackles though. :pochbye:

So, after your 'Kane is better than Bale' and 'Non-winning goals are irrelevant' gem you produce this?

Seriously, buddy - perhaps take a break for a while and go clear your head
I don't judge leftbacks against centrebacks. They do two different things. Do you judge centrebacks against keepers and strikers for who is the better goal scorer?

I don't judge leftbacks against centrebacks. They do two different things. Do you judge centrebacks against keepers and strikers for who is the better goal scorer?
They're both defenders - one is vastly superior at defending. Nothing to debate here, really

They're both defenders - one is vastly superior at defending. Nothing to debate here, really
Yes, there is. Fullbacks are not asked to do the same things as centrebacks. If it's not the same job, comparing them on the same stuff doesn't make sense. Especially since modern fullbacks are not generally used as defenders for large parts of the game.

Yes, there is. Fullbacks are not asked to do the same things as centrebacks. If it's not the same job, comparing them on the same stuff doesn't make sense. Especially since modern fullbacks are not generally used as defenders for large parts of the game.
Yet you compare Kane and Bale? One a centre forward and one a win..... oh never mind.

Many attributes are commons such as

- tackling
- positioning
- reading of the game
- intelligence
- ,etc.

In addition - asserting Rose is not required to defend is preposterous and embrarassing

Many attributes are commons such as

- tackling
- positioning
- reading of the game
- intelligence
- ,etc.

In addition - asserting Rose is not required to defend is preposterous and embrarassing
But they are playing in two different positions on the pitch, and are given different responsibilities by the manager. Lloris is a better "defender" than Vertonghen. But what's a defender? If we're all in our box when the other teams has a free kick, everyone is. If we have possession and are slicing into their half, is everyone still a defender?

Leftbacks and centrebacks do not have the same responsibilities. I don't like to judge people based on what someone else's job is.

Bale was playing in a free role according to AVB and himself. He was also the focal point of our attack.
According to AVB? If you think Bale and Kane play in the same position you should try watching a bit more closely. Ridiculous comment made to suit your own agenda. Did you ever see Bale as the lone forward in any game he played for Spurs?

But they are playing in two different positions on the pitch, and are given different responsibilities by the manager. Lloris is a better "defender" than Vertonghen. But what's a defender? If we're all in our box when the other teams has a free kick, everyone is. If we have possession and are slicing into their half, is everyone still a defender?

Leftbacks and centrebacks do not have the same responsibilities. I don't like to judge people based on what someone else's job is.
Remarkable bollox - and evidently I'm not the only one seeing this. Vertoghen is the superior defender - anyone can see that. Tackling, positioning, reading of the game, etc.

Every time I come into this thread I'm not sure if someone is trying to explain a completely foreign sport to someone else. Lets keep it simple here:

Kane: runs a lot and shoots aiming for the bottom corner
Mason: runs and tackles a lot
Eriksen: runs and score late in games
Lloris/Vorm: pass the ball forward more than anyone else

Did I miss anything?

Back
Top Bottom