Saving private Ryan

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ryan Mason - 19 games total
Danny Rose - 22 games total

Fair enough, Rose hasn't played too many more games, but he has played more.

Fails to answer my point the the stat is probably based on average, not sum total.
The stats that I posted were based on BPL games, either way Rose is still clearly ahead on average and total

Fair enough, I found this unbelievable,
"in an improving Tottenham squad he boasts the most sprints and tackles, the highest percentage of forward passes, as well as the furthest distance run. "
But squawka agrees with you on the % of forward passes (89%, that's impressive).
I can't find any data on who has the most sprints.
Squawka says that Mason has successfully made 28 tackles with a 51% success rate, Danny Rose has successfully made 40 tackles with a 50% success rate. Along with 42 interceptions, 63 clearances and five blocks.
My main issue was with 'furthest distance run' as it has been widely reported that Eriksen has covered more distance than any other BPL player.

For the tackles, go here and sort by tackles on the 'Defensive' tab:
www.whoscored.com/Teams/30

The sprints and distance covered stats are not readily available - a friend was able to get them for me.

It's all legit.

For the tackles, go here and sort by tackles on the 'Defensive' tab:
www.whoscored.com/Teams/30

The sprints and distance covered stats are not readily available - a friend was able to get them for me.

It's all legit.
So that website disagrees with Squawka, I'll stick with Squawka's stats, seem more legit to me.

I think your friend has let you down. This is from the Premier League themselves

Player Team Distance
(kms)
Christan Eriksen
Spurs
Nemanja Matic

Chelsea
Jack Colback
Newcastle
Steven N'Zonzi
Stoke City
Jake Livermore
Hull City

So that website disagrees with Squawka, I'll stick with Squawka's stats, seem more legit to me.

I think your friend has let you down. This is from the Premier League themselves

Player Team Distance
(kms)
Christan Eriksen
Spurs
Nemanja Matic

Chelsea
Jack Colback
Newcastle
Steven N'Zonzi
Stoke City
Jake Livermore
Hull City
I've been looking on their website for 20 minutes and can't find that. Could you please show me the link?

Also, Sqwaka and WhoScored both get their data from the same company, Opta.

I've been looking on their website for 20 minutes and can't find that. Could you please show me the link?

Also, Sqwaka and WhoScored both get their data from the same company, Opta.
http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/...alking-tactics-spurs-vs-Woolwich-preview.html

I guess it just shows that these Stats are all a bit useless on their own really. Squawka also says that Vertonghen averages 10 defensive actions a game, Mason just 3. Not sure what these actions are really.

Edit - that link wont work because of the autochange of @rsenal into Woolwich, you'll have to put that in yourself

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/...alking-tactics-spurs-vs-Woolwich-preview.html

I guess it just shows that these Stats are all a bit useless on their own really. Squawka also says that Vertonghen averages 10 defensive actions a game, Mason just 3. Not sure what these actions are really.

Edit - that link wont work because of the autochange of @rsenal into Woolwich, you'll have to put that in yourself
'Sokay, I got it, thanks.

The distance stats are for that moment in time, so could be different depending on the date. Opta gives the Premier League a stats package for media purposes, which is different to the fan-level data supplied to WhoScored and Sqwaka.

The stats on each site come from the same source, but can be displayed differently, so be careful of the settings when comparing.

'Sokay, I got it, thanks.

The distance stats are for that moment in time, so could be different depending on the date. Opta gives the Premier League a stats package for media purposes, which is different to the fan-level data supplied to WhoScored and Sqwaka.

The stats on each site come from the same source, but can be displayed differently, so be careful of the settings when comparing.
Those are from before the Woolwich game, we have played 2 games since then. I am willing to bet anything that Mason has not suddenly overtaken Eriksen in those two games.

That was the point I was making. It depends what they consider a tackle really. I just find it bizarre that Squawka claim that Vertonghen averages 10 defensive 'actions' a game, Mason 3, but that Vertonghen has only won 27 tackles, compared to Mason's 29. Furthermore it doesn't reflect my opinions from watching the games.

Anyway, I'm bored of talking stats now. I do like squawka's player index though.
1. Eriksen
2. Kane
3. Vertonghen
4. Chadli

Pretty much meets my experience of our outfield players effectiveness this season. But number 5 & 6 Fazio and Capoue!? Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Those are from before the Woolwich game, we have played 2 games since then. I am willing to bet anything that Mason has not suddenly overtaken Eriksen in those two games.

That was the point I was making. It depends what they consider a tackle really. I just find it bizarre that Squawka claim that Vertonghen averages 10 defensive 'actions' a game, Mason 3, but that Vertonghen has only won 27 tackles, compared to Mason's 29. Furthermore it doesn't reflect my opinions from watching the games.

Anyway, I'm bored of talking stats now. I do like squawka's player index though.
1. Eriksen
2. Kane
3. Vertonghen
4. Chadli

Pretty much meets my experience of our outfield players effectiveness this season. But number 5 & 6 Fazio and Capoue!? Lies, damn lies and statistics.
Well, you seem to be confusing average numbers with totals, and defensive actions comprise of a lot more than tackles.

The player index stuff is a novelty for fans, but nothing to take seriously. Professional analysts don't generally rank players at different positions on the same scale. And it's impossible to assign a numerical value to a player's contribution to the team. The stats aren't detailed enough to actually provide enough info for that that.

Well, you seem to be confusing average numbers with totals, and defensive actions comprise of a lot more than tackles.

The player index stuff is a novelty for fans, but nothing to take seriously. Professional analysts don't generally rank players at different positions on the same scale. And it's impossible to assign a numerical value to a player's contribution to the team. The stats aren't detailed enough to actually provide enough info for that that.
I dont know how I am confusing them, Windy stated that Mason has run the furthest distance, that is a total, not an average. I have clearly explained that this is just factually wrong. Both on average and as a total Eriksen runs further.

My comment was on how the player index was inline with my views on the effectiveness of our players, for the first 4. That is the only use in stats, to use them to support your general views of a player that you arrive at by watching games. You shouldnt just judge a player on stats, is Danny Rose a better defender than Vertonghen? Definitely not, but the tackling stats might show that. So you've to be careful with stats, but you certainly shouldnt just make stats up to support your view of a player.

On Mason, I would put him at number 5 on that list. Although at the end of the season I could see Bentaleb, Walker and possibly Dembele overtaking him. In my own personal player rating index, others are welcome to other opinions.

I dont know how I am confusing them.
I wasn't talking about distance covered, I was talking about your equating average defensive actions with the total # of tackles.

My comment was on how the player index was inline with my views on the effectiveness of our players, for the first 4. That is the only use in stats, to use them to support your general views of a player that you arrive at by watching games.
Actually, that would be colossal mis-use.

Ask a question. Watch the play and look at the numbers. The result of both is the answer.
You shouldnt just judge a player on stats, is Danny Rose a better defender than Vertonghen? Definitely not, but the tackling stats might show that. So you've to be careful with stats, but you certainly shouldnt just make stats up to support your view of a player.
I don't feel you can say whether Rose or Vertonghen is a better defender, since they play two different positions. It's not a useful comparison.

On Mason, I would put him at number 5 on that list. Although at the end of the season I could see Bentaleb, Walker and possibly Dembele overtaking him. In my own personal player rating index, others are welcome to other opinions.
Knock yourself out. My opinion is that player indexes are inaccurate rubbish.

I wasn't talking about distance covered, I was talking about your equating average defensive actions with the total # of tackles.

Actually, that would be colossal mis-use.

Ask a question. Watch the play and look at the numbers. The result of both is the answer.

I don't feel you can say whether Rose or Vertonghen is a better defender, since they play two different positions. It's not a useful comparison.

Knock yourself out. My opinion is that player indexes are inaccurate rubbish.
You seem to either be unable to understand simple statements or be willfully misinterpreting what I am saying, so I give up. But seriously,

I don't feel you can say whether Rose or Vertonghen is a better defender
:pochwtf:

I don't feel you can say whether Rose or Vertonghen is a better defender, since they play two different positions.

So, after your 'Kane is better than Bale' and 'Non-winning goals are irrelevant' gem you produce this?

Seriously, buddy - perhaps take a break for a while and go clear your head

Player Team Distance
(kms)
Christan Eriksen
Spurs
Nemanja Matic

Chelsea
Jack Colback
Newcastle
Steven N'Zonzi
Stoke City
Jake Livermore
Hull City
It'd be 'per match' - there'd be no point using total distances run if the players your comparing have played different numbers of games.

Re: the tackles stat, it'll be the same issue. Squawka and WhoScored are both powered by Opta, so the logic you're using to get the end result is clearly not the same as mine.

But mine is right. :adewtf:

ha ha, yeah I guess there are two, Hugo and Vorm. I am sure there was truth in that article somewhere :adeohshit:

Next time I include a line like this in an article, I'll be sure to write: "in an improving Tottenham squad he boasts the ... the highest percentage of forward passes, except for the goalkeepers lololol". :adesalute:

Back
Top Bottom