Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

False equivalence or what.

Did I say that?

Did we have Kulu or Richarlison 5 years ago?

Ask me whether I'd prefer him to Aurier and you might get a discussion.
5 years ago Edwards was 18 and nowhere near as good as he's now. Both Pochettino and Mourinho thought he wasn't good enough
You would have played a 1,68m tall, left-footed Edwards at RB?
He did play well yesterday, yes, and played well against Frankfurt (in the CL), and if he can perform like this regularly in the EPL I would not mind having him back but as for now I rather prefer Son, Richarlison and Kulusevski over Edwards.

5 years ago Edwards was 18 and nowhere near as good as he's now. Both Pochettino and Mourinho thought he wasn't good enough
He did play well yesterday, yes, and played well against Frankfurt (in the CL), and if he can perform like this regularly in the EPL I would not mind having him back but as for now I rather prefer Son, Richarlison and Kulusevski over Edwards.
I was highlighting what you'd said about KWP

I was highlighting what you'd said about KWP
Sorry, I thought we were talking about Edwards :rolleyes:
In retrospect, yes, I think KWP should have been loaned out rather than sold but I don't know what was going on behind the scene (maybe KWP wanted to be sold rather than wait for his chance at Spurs?) and at that time £12m was regarded as a good deal not just by Levy but by many fans.
And in their defense, KWP did look weak defensively when he played - but that may be down to lack of confidence rather than ability.
I was never a fan of Aurier really. Talented, yes, but - a bit like (but to a lesser degree) Ndombele - seems to lack that gritty attitude.

how wouldnt get into the side so I dont think we lost out on anything other than a bigger transfer fee. Apart from making a clown of Dier which isn't hard in a one v one i wasn't overly impressed

how wouldnt get into the side so I dont think we lost out on anything other than a bigger transfer fee. Apart from making a clown of Dier which isn't hard in a one v one i wasn't overly impressed
Have to say I was quite impressed with what would have been goal of the effing season if the final shot had been up to the previous mazy run and one-two. It brought Messi and Maradona to mind. You know, 2 of the best footballers on the planet, ever.

Have to say I was quite impressed with what would have been goal of the effing season if the final shot had been up to the previous mazy run and one-two. It brought Messi and Maradona to mind. You know, 2 of the best footballers on the planet, ever.
Yeah but he wasn’t clinical when it came to the shot and that was, to my mind, one of the reasons we got rid of him because he lacks end product. Looked great that run and one two etc. but where is the all important goal? He’s improved but i dont (currently) regret selling him.

Sporting Lisbon star Marcus Edwards reveals he would like to return to the Premier League one day... and former side Tottenham 'could land £26m if a club meets the player's £52m release clause'​

• Marcus Edwards has impressed for Sporting Lisbon since joining back in January
  • He produced a man-of-the-match display against his former club Tottenham
  • Tottenham though could be set to rake in a big sell-on fee if he is sold by Sporting
  • They could reportedly earn £26million if his £52m release clause is met by a club
By KIERAN LYNCH FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 15:03 BST, 14 September 2022 | UPDATED: 18:35 BST, 14 September 2022

Tottenham could receive a £26million sell-on fee if former player Marcus Edwards gets his wish by returning to the Premier League in the future.
The 23-year-old produced a man-of-the-match performance for Sporting Lisbon in a 2-0 victory over Spurs in the Champions League.
After the match, Edwards said he would like to return to England one day - while reports have suggested Tottenham could land a £26million sell-on fee if a club pays Sporting's £52m release clause.
Edwards told BT Sport: 'It feels great and I think we deserved it. We showed how we can play.

'I wouldn't say extra special, but it was a special feeling to play against Spurs. It was good to see people I know - players and coaching staff.

'I stayed the same. Focus was the same. It's a proper family environment here and I couldn't be happier.

'It's home, so of course I want to come back there [to the Premier League] one day. I just focus on what I'm doing here for now.'

Edwards' comments come as the Telegraph have reported that Spurs transferred the 50 per cent sell-on clause they negotiated as part of Edwards' move to Vitoria Guimaraes over to his new contract with Sporting.

The player who has been nicknamed the 'Mini Messi,' came through the club's youth academy before joining Vitoria Guimaraes in 2019 on a free transfer, in return for a 50 per cent sell-on fee.

Sporting paid almost £9m to sign the 23-year-old from Vitoria in 2019 and agreed to Tottenham transferring his 50 per cent sell-on clause, rather than putting the deal at risk and the English club pocketing just £4.5m from that transfer.

Edwards joined Sporting in January on a contract that runs until 2026 and contains a release clause worth just under £52 million, which means Spurs could one day bank half of that fee.

It could prove to be a masterstroke for Spurs, with Edwards scoring three goals and providing as many assists so far this season, and nearly scored one of the tournament's best ever goals against his old club on Wednesday.

Sporting are now top of their group thanks to their 2-0 victory over Tottenham, thanks to late goals from substitutes Paulinho and Arthur Gomes.

Yeah but he wasn’t clinical when it came to the shot and that was, to my mind, one of the reasons we got rid of him because he lacks end product. Looked great that run and one two etc. but where is the all important goal? He’s improved but i dont (currently) regret selling him.
I regret that we managed him so poorly. As we did with Noni Madueke. As we did with Luis Binks. As we did with Skipp until Poch left. The threat of another wasted year and he'd have been off. As we did with KWP.

Every one of our Academy will have seen what happens to your career when you're not managed well. On the plus side Parrott Scarlett and White have benefited from good loans. I can't believe Levy wasn't thumping the tub before. I've spent all this money on building and running the best academy infrastructure you've ever seen and all that happens is that we have to sell off some of them for buttons before they walk for nothing.

And it wasn't the lack of goals. How many did Modric score for us? He was seen as an awkward sod with the wrong attitude.

As they say about the army - no bad soldiers only bad officers.

I regret that we managed him so poorly. As we did with Noni Madueke. As we did with Luis Binks. As we did with Skipp until Poch left. The threat of another wasted year and he'd have been off. As we did with KWP.

Every one of our Academy will have seen what happens to your career when you're not managed well. On the plus side Parrott Scarlett and White have benefited from good loans. I can't believe Levy wasn't thumping the tub before. I've spent all this money on building and running the best academy infrastructure you've ever seen and all that happens is that we have to sell off some of them for buttons before they walk for nothing.

And it wasn't the lack of goals. How many did Modric score for us? He was seen as an awkward sod with the wrong attitude.

As they say about the army - no bad soldiers only bad officers.
But he got a good loan to Norwich and had a bad attitude. Can't blame Poch or the club for that, then got a loan to the dutch league and still did nothing.
Why at that point should the club give him a new improved longer contract? hindsight is a lovely power

But he got a good loan to the Norwich and had a bad attitude. Can't blame Poch all the club for that, then got a loan to the dutch league and still did nothing.
Why at that point should the club give him a new improved longer contract? hindsight is a lovely power

Agree guy always had immense talent but he was by reports very immature in his younger years. Obviously he has become far more professional in the years that have followed and is now a different person. He may have remained immature and made nothing of his talent, but well done to him for developing.

Also we could buy him for £26m as we get half the sell fee so if we really wanted him we could easily afford that.

I don't get the size complains with Edwards.

I just saw him pretty much destroy us and bully Eric Dier. Size doesn't matter if you're intelligent and have impeccable balance.

Edwards if a fantastic footballer who perhaps didn't have the drive or the pathway needed at the time he was at Spurs. But he looks like he's really knuckled down and really showed us what we were missing when we decided to buy the likes of Nkoudou and give him a chance of Edwards in the first team.

Don’t you two get into a quote off, too confusing White Van Jan White Van Jan

Back
Top Bottom