Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can you say something homophobic and not be a homophobe? I've spent a long time on this planet and didn't know that.
Of course you can. A person is fully capable of using a word without intending to offend or without realising the word is offensive. Indeed, some might have interpreted your insistence that you didn't mean to be a homophobe when using the word "poof" as just that....until you doubled down and said you'd still use it if you knew it could offend and tough titty to anyone who didn't like it.

A good example would be those of an older generation who use the term "coloured" to described people of different ethnicity. It's unquestionably a racist term, but it's use was socially expectable decades ago so many still use it now unwittingly. It doesn't mean they are racist.

To be honest, where Aurier is concerned he probably has inherent homophobic beliefs, not because he is intentionally a homophobe, but growing up in the African community he would have been taught from a young age that homosexuality is wrong and he is, of course, still a young man and has spent his entire professional life in an industry where homosexuality is still shunned. He probably didn't think he was saying anything controversial.

Have you never used a homophobic term in public? Did you consider the impact that may have on others? Are you a homophobe?

z4Ci0f.gif

Strange outlook that, people can say all sorts if things it doesnt mean its a cast iron picture of their views
I have made comments that could be construed as homophobic, but as I don't consider myself a homophobe, the comments can't be homophobic. Wouldn't that be an interpretation?

I have made comments that could be construed as homophobic, but as I don't consider myself a homophobe, the comments can't be homophobic. Wouldn't that be an interpretation?
Wow, you're pretty thick. :pochfacepalm: You seem unable to separate intent from what is prima facie homophobic. You might not be a homophobe, but the comment can still in of itself be homophobic.

Do you not read what is said to you?

I'm not in public on here. Besides. "Homo" is just a shortening of homosexual (or homosapien, homoerectus, etc).

And yes your age might well have something to do with your attitude.
A forum that anyone can become a member of isn't public? Homo is an ok thing to call someone because it's a shortening of homosexual? Behave yourself.

Wow, you're pretty thick. :pochfacepalm: You seem unable to separate intent from what is prima facie homophobic. You might not be a homophobe, but the comment can still in of itself be homophobic.

Do you not read what is said to you?
Do you always have to resort to being sanctimonious? Remember you were all bothered because you were voted into the bin for standing up to the melters? No you weren't. It's because of your "I'm always right" tone and attitude. You make a big play of engaging in debate, then you get personal.

A forum that anyone can become a member of isn't public?
No, it isn't. It is a private forum. We post here at the pleasure of the owners and if they decide we shouldn't post any longer then we're gone.

Homo is an ok thing to call someone because it's a shortening of homosexual? Behave yourself.
Nobody was called a homo, and there is no negative spin about the comment I made. Are you arguing it is embarrassing to be homosexual?

No it means that you are judging Aurier with one stick, and yourself with another.

If somone was offended by your comments, then they were probably homophobic.

Do you always have to resort to being sanctimonious? Remember you were all bothered because you were voted into the bin for standing up to the melters? No you weren't. It's because of your "I'm always right" tone and attitude. You make a big play of engaging in debate, then you get personal.
Do you not understand how frustrating it is to keep having to repeating the same thing over and over and for the person you're saying it to not to grasp the comment?

Back
Top Bottom