Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pele is probably the most famous black player of all time - I've only heard of him referred to for his finesse, even back in the day when society was legitimately more prejudiced. Was Ronaldinho written off as just physical?

The sprinter Johan Blake was referred to by other black sprinters as 'the beast' because of his power and work rate. I suppose they've internalised the white man's racism, and are self haters? Yawn.

This thread has gone walkabout, so for the record I'd like to say I love Serge Aurier, and think he will be a great player for us - I don't really give a fuck what colour he is.
Yohan Blake publicly ditched the moniker 'Beast' and asked people to no longer use it fyi and the nickname was given to him by Usain Bolt anyway, his friend and mentor. Not a lazy white commentator who can't think of another way to describe a guy with his attributes. That comparison is nonsense.

Basically commentators are lazy and need to up their game when describing players. That Yaya Toure thing mentioned above is a perfect example.

Yohan Blake publicly ditched the moniker 'Beast' and asked people to no longer use it fyi and the nickname was given to him by Usain Bolt anyway, his friend and mentor. Not a lazy white commentator who can't think of another way to describe a guy with his attributes. That comparison is nonsense.

Basically commentators are lazy and need to up their game when describing players. That Yaya Toure thing mentioned above is a perfect example.

Im Jamaican bolt gave blake that name which he used without a problem but when he got injured he also found faith and got baptised so he changed it from the beast to the blessed also most people refer to when a particular player is playing well especially in America whether blake or white the either say he is a beast or is beasting it or they are in beast mode and beast mode game from a popular video game so that comment about calling black men beast is actually not accurate

Im Jamaican bolt gave blake that name which he used without a problem but when he got injured he also found faith and got baptised so he changed it from the beast to the blessed also most people refer to when a particular player is playing well especially in America whether blake or white the either say he is a beast or is beasting it or they are in beast mode and beast mode game from a popular video game so that comment about calling black men beast is actually not accurate
Except we aren't talking about America. The term ''beasting'' isn't a common part of the British sporting vernacular, well not football, cricket or rugby (our biggest sports) anyway like it is in the U.S. Beast and beasting are different. One is a noun, one is an adjective. Which is an important difference in this conversation.

This is a conversation on the British football media, not the American media. These are two entirely separate cultures. Which makes the point of bringing up Yohan Blake in the first place as a comparison even more nonsensical.

Except we aren't talking about America. The term ''beasting'' isn't a common part of the British sporting vernacular, well not football, cricket or rugby (our biggest sports) anyway like it is in the U.S. Beast and beasting are different. One is a noun, one is an adjective. Which is an important difference in this conversation.

This is a conversation on the British football media, not the American media. These are two entirely separate cultures. Which makes the point of bringing up Yohan Blake in the first place as a comparison even more nonsensical.

My point about Blake was that black people use language more innocently. In my experience, its usually white, left wing progressives who put a racial slant on everything. I grew up in mixed London with black friends - I didn't even notice race until uni when liberal 'progressives' felt it was their place to educate me and my friends about all the inherent racism we were missing. They were quite obsessed about it, almost like they were a bit uncomfortable or guilty about their own shit.

Last edited:
Making a race issue out of the word beast? Come on! I will continue to use the word for players of all colours.
I want Lamela, Son and Edwards to be beasts. This just shows insecurity if you ask me.

My point about Blake was that black people use language more innocently. In my experience, its usually white, left wing progressives who put a racial slant on everything. I grew up in mixed London with black friends - I didn't even notice race until uni when liberal 'progressives' felt it was their place to educate me and my friends about all the inherent racism we were missing. They were quite obsessed about it, almost like they were a bit uncomfortable or guilty about there own shit.
I am also a Londoner.

Well, I was first told of this issue at football myself where my teammate (asian fella) pointed it out to me. Then I noticed it more and more and as I said, primarily the black community bringing it up before it has become a more mainstream discussion.

I'll give you an example of whitewashing in Hollywood as comparison in changing culture. An issue of the lack ethnic representation was identified and called out on by a few, then more, then the majority. Now the road to change has truly begun because a dialogue was opened and old school opinions challenged.

Why can't this be the same?

Blaming liberal progressives on you noticing systemic racism is your personal issue and is an entirely different conversation.

We are talking about this issue in British football and you're making it a sweeping brush of an issue about ''racial slants on everything''. The fact is, there is racial slants on a number of things and just because you only were made aware of it at uni doesn't mean it doesn't exist and becoming aware of such things is a positive and a road to change. I presented some evidence about this issue, as did Glasgow Spur. It's there, for you to view. It's not just some SJW white knighting on the internet as it appears you want to believe.

Last edited:
It's more than just the word beast though. It's the outright ignoring of technical skill or intelligence in favour of commenting on physical attributes. That Carvalho tweet perfectly illustrates it.

Way more comforting for those pundits to believe certain players are only at this level because of genetic advantages.

No idea how people are unable to pick up on this sort of thing even when it's pointed out to them. You see it often when black players do something great, commentators have a field day with gibbs131 thesaurus.

Challenging the use of certain terms is not "Race baiting," nor is it "doing more harm than good." I appreciate that in the vast majority of cases the emphasis on black players physique or another classic their "natural athleticism," is in no way intended as a slight. These descriptions have such a long and storied history that "We," fail to even notice them in their original context. That said, the effect is still the same and will be understood by those whom it undermines.
To those thinking it's just a conversation on a single word. That is just the catalyst. The conversation is bigger than that.

Making a race issue out of the word beast? Come on! I will continue to use the word for players of all colours.
I want Lamela, Son and Edwards to be beasts. This just shows insecurity if you ask me.

There is no doubt that those who want to find something to be offended about always manage to find it.
What a surprise :paulinhobored:

Well I honestly don't know, in Hebrew we use to word beast to describe relentless players and among the local supporters it's actually Lamela and then Dembele who are referred to as such. But maybe the contextualism in English is different idk.

I do recall calling Ruddock the beast and he was white as my spunk (slightly yellowish)

I don't find the word associated with race issues, just want the right to call some of our players especially Sanchez and Dier beasts without any ramifications!:dembelefingers:

To those thinking it's just white liberals ''looking to be offended''. A very brief search found these from members of the same demographic. I'm sure a deeper search would find many more. The conversation has been happening for years. Are they too ''looking to be offended''?

An explanation better than I could really put to type from a sports writer who also happens to be an ethnic minority.

Jonathan Liew on Twitter

This is the end of my contribution to this. I've said my bit, my viewpoint is relevant and not just an individual one to be dismissed like a few of you here are suggesting, incapable of opening a dialogue.

Samisspurs Samisspurs appreciate you putting your points across rather than dismissing straight out of hand like some on here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom