Set pieces

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't know if this has been posted already, but it was on OptaJoe a few days ago:

0 - Tottenham haven't scored from a Prem Lge free kick since 1 Jan 2011 & since 26 Jan 2010 for a direct free kick shot. Dearth.

That's really unbelievable. I'm glad Harry's talking up short corners - hopefully the players will take that on board.

Edit -- oops, should have read the previous page more closely. :goonermong:

Ramsingh said:
Our set pieces are fucking woeful. I seriously think we need to invest in;
A right mid who can take corners/freekicks, has pace but is solid and a decent high.

Anyone think of anyone?

Landon Donovan looked good during his loan spell at Everton. I'd take his delivery on set pieces ahead of anybody from Spurs right now.

I'm tired of seeing Spurs' gentle, floating deliveries past the back post on so many corners.

Dru said:
Redknapp Speaks
“You look at Chelsea tomorrow and you look at the likely headers of the ball for them. They’ve got some big lads, they will score goals from set plays. [Branislav] Ivanovic is fantastic in the air, then there’s John Terry, David Luiz and Gary Cahill, depending on who plays.
Nothing like a bit of positive thinking, aye Harry? :harryfacepalm:

Blanchflower said:
Dru said:
“If you looked at us the other night against Stoke, we really had two people in our side who were over six foot - Ledley King and Younes Kaboul. We were a small small team. That is a problem,” said Redknapp.

Bale is six foot two you fucking liar

just fuck off now

Saha is 6 foot plus and is taken off for Giovani. No wonder he thinks we're small with substitutions like that.

SandroSays said:
I don't know if this has been posted already, but it was on OptaJoe a few days ago:

0 - Tottenham haven't scored from a Prem Lge free kick since 1 Jan 2011 & since 26 Jan 2010 for a direct free kick shot. Dearth.

That's really unbelievable. I'm glad Harry's talking up short corners - hopefully the players will take that on board.

Edit -- oops, should have read the previous page more closely. :goonermong:

Didn't Bale score from a VdV free kick this season... or was that really a year ago? It was the freekick that was pretty much a shot, but Bale got on it and put it in

Abbey Yid said:
Dru said:
Redknapp Speaks
“You look at Chelsea tomorrow and you look at the likely headers of the ball for them. They’ve got some big lads, they will score goals from set plays. [Branislav] Ivanovic is fantastic in the air, then there’s John Terry, David Luiz and Gary Cahill, depending on who plays.
Nothing like a bit of positive thinking, aye Harry? :harryfacepalm:

Genuinely we'd be better off with David Pleat as manager now

Had a few good chances today from set pieces so maybe might score from one soon and also we worked the goalie from FK which was nice.

Corners certainly looked slightly more threatening today, which is nice... but still not enough to ACTUALLY SCORE FROM ONE!

so now that nelson scored from a corner are we gonna start making
an effort to score more from set pieces? i think they do seem to be improving slightly
or is it just me? we seemed to at least try and get on the end of them against bolton.

durbanspur said:
an effort to score more from set pieces? i think they do seem to be improving slightly
or is it just me? we seemed to at least try and get on the end of them against bolton.

Nelsen :nelsen:

Blanchflower said:
durbanspur said:

Nelsen :nelsen:

not a bad thing. if at least 1 of our players gets his head to it so be it.
even if he misses id like to at least see our players try to win headers
from corners.

We should at least experiment with going short. I think it would really enable us to sustain pressure as all too often they simply result in a GK to the opposition, or counterattacks against the likes of the Gooners & pacey teams like Swansea . . .

Rafa was actually putting the ball in the right places, non of this float it to the near post rubbish. Get Kaboul attacking some of those corners and he'll bag a few goals.

Just hope it wasn't a set-piece climax and we go back to being shit again.

durbanspur said:
well the last team I can remember us scoring a corner against before Bolton was Bolton, so I think they might just suck at defending corners.

It's funny but Pav scored our last free-kick against Rubin at WHL, and somehow Rafa scored two in South Africa,

I coughed when both of those went in, now I know we are shit at set pieces but...

No we're shit at set pieces :(

barca work hard at their corners and set pieces, now i know we aint barca, but if they aint too proud to do it, nor should we be, its not only hoofers like stoke that do it, difference is, its all stoke do [pretty much] if your attacking as much as we are then your gonna get lots of last third set pieces, it looks to me like we decide what to do when we get them and only a couple of players have any idea whats going on, fuck sake, in sunday football we had one bounce for near post and two for the far post, raise one hand and your aiming for the penalty spot, at least our players had a clue what to expect. we have to start making them pay, because at the moment, spurs get a corner and im worried about getting caught on the break.

It's a handy weapon to have in our artillery, because sometimes it can give you a goal against the run of play or give you a method of scoring against teams who play total defensive football.

I think we ignore them at our peril.

Back
Top Bottom