Sheffield United v Tottenham Hotspur - July 2nd - 6pm(UK)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m falling out of love with football, there is just no enjoyment in it anymore, it’s not about the winning as I’m a spurs fan I’m used to ya being shite I just can’t explain it but it isn’t the same anymore

- VAR-tainted, moneyball shit-fest...
- Spoiled, un-focussed players...
- Miserable, whinging fans half of which think they're master tacticians and scouts or are consumed with bitter jealousy of the success of anyone else....
- Costs a mint to watch; whether that's in a stadium or on TV...

As you say, it's not about losing; it's just a massive slog to wrench regular enjoyment out of what the game has progressively become....

We've had a romantic few years where we believed we could catch lightning in a bottle, but the game's been doomed ever since the EPL took over (when kids like me were priced out of the game overnight!); the likes of Chavski & Citeh only served to accelerate the process.

This sounds quite familiar and exceedingly reasonable. But something tells me you are going to encounter some resistance to this perspective.

Of course. I saw your posts on the topic the other day in the xfer thread and agree wholeheartedly.
This is exactly the kind of moment effective 'leadership' is about.

I'm so done with this 'modern' version of our club... the last 3 months have taught me to put things in perspective....
But the last 3 DECADES have finally proved that Spurs aren't the club I fell in love with....
Scholar, Sugar and Levy... all in their own way have proved that personal gain comes above the good of the club... they've all made millions at our expense, and for what? A near miss every decade...
We've come SO close on so many occasions, and not ONE owner has pushed on and taken advantage... only to sell the family jewels and convince us we're moving on... which we're not... and never have.

Liverpool lost the league and the CL in successive seasons... and came back stronger to win them BOTH....what did we do after the 'Leicester' season... and last year...? Feel sorry for ourselves, and fall away, admitting our failures, and succumbing to defeat...

Well FUCK that shit... I wanna see a reaction for once... but we're unlikely to under the current regime.

Shame, real shame SPURS.... I'd expected better of you.... apparently, I was wrong. VERY wrong!

Last edited:
How can you say at this point the fault isn't ENIC? How many managers have they sacked? How many times have they failed to back managers at key moments to improve us? How many times have they put profit ahead of success on the pitch?

Yeah, it's not their fault we played shit on the pitch on game day, that's the manager and the players fault but overall, the bigger picture is that THEIR decisions have led us to where we are right now.

And they are the only ones who never fall on the sword, it's time they did, fuck them.

Whether one agrees with you or not; that's simply not how this shit works.

I'm so done with this cunting club... the last 3 months have taught me to put things in perspective....
But the last 3 DECADES have finally proved that Spurs aren't the club I fell in love with....
Scholar, Sugar and Levy... all in their own way have proved that personal gain comes above the good of the club... they've all made millions at our expense, and for what? A near miss every decade...
We've come SO close on so many occasions, and not ONE owner has pushed on and taken advantage... only to sell the family jewels and convince us we're moving on... which we're not... and never have.

Liverpool lost the league and the CL in successive seasons... and came back stronger to win them BOTH....what did we do after the 'Leicester' season... and last year...? Feel sorry for ourselves, and fall away, admitting our failures, and succumbing to defeat...

Well FUCK that shit... I wanna see a reaction for once... but we're unlikely to under the current regime.

Shame, real shame SPURS.... I'd expected better of you.... apparently, I was wrong. VERY wrong!
Try doing it for 50 years as I have .................

What a fucking horrible game that completely encapsulated everything horrible about the current state of the club and fucking football in general.

Disgraceful decisions yet again from a system somewhat oxymoronically designed to make the game fairer. Players paid a fortune with no desire or fight whatsoever and everything wrong with our transfer strategy at it's very worst manifesting itself on the pitch.

With regards to ENIC, you stick Bruno Fernades instead of Giovani LoCelso, Van Dijk instead of Davinson Sanchez, a decent right back and the type of midfielder we've been crying out for since Vic's legs gave way and they fucked off Moussa to China in there and we fuck that lot by about three goals. Something like Zaha instead of Moura too.

Ndombele nearly had me, I was ready to gladly eat my words when I noticed his intensity visibly drop right around 80 minutes, he'd looked really bright. Gutted to see it tbh, was far too slack tracking back for the 3rd goal and then his body language changed even more. No fight, he started hiding at 3-0.

We fucked off Trippier for a profit, we didn't replace the creativity of Eriksen and thus lost about a third of the chances we created as a side statistically and some decent set piece takers. You put Trippier in there today instead of Aurier and we're maybe 2-0 up at half time IMO. We're crying out for good delivery and a little more creativity inside the final third and for all Trippier's defensive limitations, he's got a far better pass and touch than Serge and sees a ball better. Aurier had about five or six good chances to do something good in the final third and was a consistent let down. Big Dave Sanchez was just starting to win me round too, not so sure Mourinho can help him. GLC has potential, he works hard and has quality, I have faith he'll improve.

Aurier, Sanchez, Sissoko is back to the triangle of death. Moussa shouldn't be a first team regular IMO, he has a good engine, but is far too inconsistent on the ball.

They'd played so well and fought back for the equaliser, that decision is a complete travesty and a soft goal for 2-0 just rubbed it in. We'd all the ball and it was shaping up for a great shift away from home at a decent side before it was disallowed. What a kick in the bollocks like.

Fuck VAR tbh, completely ruined the game. How the fuck putting your arms out when you're falling face first (not looking at the ball) is unnatural is a mystery to me. Fucked yet again by another fucking dodgy VAR handball decision.

Thought Ndombele was alright.

Vertonghen at LB vs Everton?

Kane put the ball in the net 4 times... so that's a positive....

We can’t keep playing Aurier

Offers nothing other than running quickly up and down the wing
Can’t defend
Can’t cross
Useless

Hopefully this game finally makes it clear just how badly things need to change. Every issue with this team was on display today:

Zero passing ability from the majority of the team- the back 4, Sissoko, Son, Moura were all god awful

Zero creativity outside of GLC

Zero defensive awareness from the back 4 (Sanchez was ok) and MF

Zero quality balls to Kane- likely a combination of the lack of passing and creativity

The reality is outside of Kane, Son, Bergwijn and GLC we probably should replace every other player in the starting 11.

That is harsh on Lloris who is just dropping a bit due to age. I would prefer to move him a year early than a year late. And Sanchez is probably ok as the 2nd CB.

But in an ideal (not fantasy) world we would have a new #1 CB, RB, LB, DM, CM at a minimum. With stronger options on the bench at CB and striker as well. Instead we will continue to paper over our issue with partial solutions and mediocre replacments and continue to struggle along.

Just like poch & the painful rebuild comment, some can't see or don't want to see how average we are. Its hard to admit to yourself we just aren't that good. So instead you lie to yourself & pretend we are much better than we are & discuss winning the europa like that's very likely.
For some its just probably pride. For others they don't want to admit it because it would be admitting levy & ENIC are taking us backwards from a few years ago.
But until levy & the owners admit we are average, they won't feel the need for the painful rebuild. We are in denial from top to bottom about how good we really are.
Top quality shit right here my man. And it will take some of the reflexive defenders and net spenders years to recognize it.

That was embarrassing and disheartening

We’ve been embarrassed and disheartened at Bolton, Oldham, Newcastle, Brighton to name a few

Ghoulish

But we get up. dust off and go again. Till I die

Back
Top Bottom