Should Levy Go Too?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should Levy go with AVB?

• Yes

Votes: 55 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 88 61.5%

• Total voters
The more this goes on the more I'm starting to think that levy and his whole board need to go. I know we are performing as high as we can fairly expect given what we're up against (bigger stadia, clubs run by sugar daddies) and I can live with that. But then it's starting to fuck me off how he's conducted himself both with managers and in the transfer window at times making us basically either a laughing stock or a club that no one wants to deal with.

I've always appreciated what he's done in terms of raising standards post 90s. The new training ground is also great. But 13 years and one trophy is poorer than poor when all we've been promised is false dawn after false dawn.
As others have eluded to, ENIC and levy are the only constant in this period. Even his first ever sacking was terribly timed. We were building up to an fa cup semi against Woolwich. Now I know none of us liked George graham, but if I could have chosen one guy at the time who could have had the smarts to nick a win against that lot it was graham. But no, levy tried to make a populist choice by sacking TW evil ex gooner and replacing him with fan favourite hoddle. Right before a fucking semi against Woolwich for Christ sake.

Apologies that this is a bit of a semi literate rant but if I can find time I will try to write a slightly more coherent article about it tomorrow

The more this goes on the more I'm starting to think that levy and his whole board need to go. I know we are performing as high as we can fairly expect given what we're up against (bigger stadia, clubs run by sugar daddies) and I can live with that. But then it's starting to fuck me off how he's conducted himself both with managers and in the transfer window at times making us basically either a laughing stock or a club that no one wants to deal with.

I've always appreciated what he's done in terms of raising standards post 90s. The new training ground is also great. But 13 years and one trophy is poorer than poor when all we've been promised is false dawn after false dawn.
As others have eluded to, ENIC and levy are the only constant in this period. Even his first ever sacking was terribly timed. We were building up to an fa cup semi against Woolwich. Now I know none of us liked George graham, but if I could have chosen one guy at the time who could have had the smarts to nick a win against that lot it was graham. But no, levy tried to make a populist choice by sacking TW evil ex gooner and replacing him with fan favourite hoddle. Right before a fucking semi against Woolwich for Christ sake.

Apologies that this is a bit of a semi literate rant but if I can find time I will try to write a slightly more coherent article about it tomorrow
I'm not sure of the inner workings of the club, but it does seem that Levy is wielding too much power on first team matters and I'm not liking that one bit. The timing of AVB's sacking was atrocious given it was a few days before our game against West Ham, and our most fixture-congested period of the season!

Easily stacks of cash and trophies. I've been wanting ENIC to be replaced for years by a billionaire benefactor. But while they're here, I try to be as fair to them as possible. (Not that they give a fuck about mug punters like me)

My current rating of them, FWIW, over the past 13 years is they've done ok, no more, no less.
Then we have such different views on the way our club should be run its untrue.

You seriously envy Chelsea and City? Seriously? Please tell me you don't. Honestly, they are EVERYTHING that is wrong with football these days. God help us if a billionaire bought our club. I'd be devastated.

So worried about success and trophies you forget what supporting your team is all about.

You're overreacting. Let's see how you feel tomorrow.

We aren't, and haven't been, a consistent trophy-winning side for decades. We are doing our best to keep up in the current climate but we aren't setup like the other 'top 4 sides', so we aren't going to perform like them.

You seriously envy Chelsea and City? Seriously? Please tell me you don't. Honestly, they are EVERYTHING that is wrong with football these days. God help us if a billionaire bought our club. I'd be devastated.

So worried about success and trophies you forget what supporting your team is all about.
Yes I seriously envy Chelsea and City, I would love for Spurs to be successful like them. In fact I'm now relying on City to do us a favour and knock West Ham out of the Lge Cup.
Incidentally a billionaire has bought our club, he just doesn't invest in it the way Chelsea and City's owners do. That is his prerogative, it's his money, he spends it how he sees fit.

I can sympathise completely with your view that 'buying success' is all wrong. But I'd take the criticisms from other fans quite happily, and smile while we're winning. I would have loved it last night if we had a team like City's and smashed 6 past West Ham and their 'orrible fans and sent them home defeated and in crisis. It would have been pure joy and ecstasy to me.

Anyway, as you say we see things so differently. But I'm still supporting my team, however I'm not particularly supporting a board that has given us one trophy in 13 years. As I say overall, I think they've done ok, no more no less.

The sooner Levy/ENIC is gone, the better.
But unfortunately, I cant see them going anywhere in the foreseeable future ... well, not at least until the stadium project is completely finished.

You do realise we are already owned by a billionaire right? the difference is that our sugar daddy doesn't give a shit about giving back to the fans. The other sugar daddy clubs may not have tradition or history but they are now winning, and I am sorry to say it but I wish Joe lewis didnt mind writing off a few million in exchange for trophies and game changing players, instead of balancing the books for a season or 2.

EDIT: I do apologies I hadn't read to the end where there is another article pretty much saying exactly this.

The thing I don't get is that if ENIC want to flip the club for as much as possible, why don't they increase the value of the club by making it stable (and great)?

Or have their accountants already derived that a club's resale value is locked up in assets like a training center and that trying to increase value by performance on the pitch is, ultimately, a losing proposition? (We'd never recoup in tat/tv money/CL bonuses what we'd have to spend to get there)

The sooner Levy/ENIC is gone, the better.
But unfortunately, I cant see them going anywhere in the foreseeable future ... well, not at least until the stadium project is completely finished.
We've been told that the new stadium will break ground for the last 2-3 years and still nothing happened. I can see this one dragging unfortunately...

I think real estate is their priority or the value of it at least .

I think that they themselves are stuck in a rut too as they can't get the money they want for us plus they're struggling to get investors for the stadium . Sure they could sell up now but I think they want way too much than anyone is willing to pay , offers have come in apparently. It's as if they are trying to sell us as a champion league outfit with all the mod cons yet in reality we're Europa with lots of nice drawings & a sandpit.

I can't see anything changing soon unless they revise their apparent asking price

Now, I am perfectly aware that there are some people out there that think he is a good chairman, I think he is dreadful, and here are a bunch of reasons why.
1. During his tenure we have won only one league cup
2. When he took over we were a mid table club going nowhere, and in all honesty that's about where we are now. This only changed for a short period of time was when he employed Arry, and then he sacked him.
3. He employed, Ramos, Santini and AVB. If he had actually researched any of these managers properly, he would have known none of them were suitable.
4. When he employed Arry he made a statement emphasising that employing a director of football was wrong in hindsight, and that having a British manager in charge with the power to chose his own players was a better option. He has gone back on what he originally said, but why. Levy took over the negotiation with other clubs, but because of his crass arrogance, other clubs don't want to speak to him, and this is why he now employs someone to do it for him.
5. Last year he gave himself a big fat rise, when the club lost money
6. He tried to move us to Stratford, which in my opinion was his biggest sin. For those of you who think that was his strategy to get planning permission for the Lane, ask yourselves, would he have turned down the move if we won the bid, taking into account the millions it cost the club to create the financial plan in the first place? He put all his eggs in one basket when he built the business plan for NPD, depending on England getting the World Cup. All we have now is a building site, a Sainsburys and no idea when the first brick will be laid. In actual fact, we all know that without success on the pitch it won't be worth building it anyway.
7, Net spend, he has failed to invest in the playing staff for over three years, so what ambition has this shown?

In fact the only decent thing I can say about him is that the club is relatively debt free, but that hardly gives me the same buzz as a day out at Wembley or Champions league football.

ITS TIME HE FELL ON HIS SWORD

In another thread, @ Mad Yid Mad Yid alluded to rather having Henry and the Fenway Sports Group in as owners. I've followed their work with the Boston Red Sox pretty closely, and I thought they made a mistake in buying Liverpool.

When FSG came into Boston, they faced a club that hadn't won the World Series in almost a century and were likely to win the AL Championship only about once a decade. They inherited a good club, but the club was playing in a park that most considered far too small to be profitable. There were all sorts of plans brought out by the previous owners for a new stadium, etc., but it was going to be a tough, tough job. Moving the Sox seemed both necessary and impossible (much like us at WHL and Pool at Anfield).

But it was a good brand—both the team and the park. And instead of building a park next door and tearing down the old one, they turned the minuses (small, cramped) into pluses (intimate, old-fashioned). They've since milked the hell out of the fact that Fenway is the oldest park in baseball, and they added a number of seats in odd places, but turned them into destination seating—the sorts of tickets you get as an anniversary present. Coupled with astute building on the solid squad in place (buying and trading pulled off by the youngest General Manager in the sport, one who was hired with no experience as a GM), they multiple earned honours quickly (three crowns in nine years) and managed to convert on-field success with their real estate to start a sell-out streak that lasted about five years. This was all done while building their own financial investment in the club and players without looking like they "bought" the championship.

It hasn't been perfect, but it was astonishing to see such a long-term plan in place. Short-termers would've come in, threatened to move the team to a new city unless Boston made concessions for a new stadium, gotten a sweet set of tax breaks on the stadium, flipped the good players and made a steady profit paying the minimum on payroll while waiting for the new stadium to get built, skyrocketing the value of the club. Profit. Instead, Henry et al. took a chance on a kid and decided the most money is in turning the Red Sox into and undisputed icon of the city (everyone turned to the Sox after the terrorist attack in Boston in April, for example).

I've thought over the years that ENIC shared a similar philosophy, from the slightly reclusive owner who lets his far more visible lieutenants speak for the ownership, to an aversion toward deficit spending. But now I wonder if that wasn't just wishful thinking…

FSG's purchase of Pool looked like a mistake to me; they bought, I thought, a club with no possible stadium expansion in place, with tailing value as an international brand… Then I thought they behaved foolishly in the transfer market, overpaying for Carroll only because of the Torres money in hand, losing out on players to us… and then hiring a manager who was riding on the coattails of his predecessor at Swansea. I guess I was wrong.

At this moment in time there are still more votes for Levy than against. I am totally mystified why this should be the case. Other than a few years under Arry, at which time he got almost no financial backing, we have been a mid table club going nowhere, yet people still think levy has done a good job. How strange !!

Now, I am perfectly aware that there are some people out there that think he is a good chairman, I think he is dreadful, and here are a bunch of reasons why.
Many clubs who were better than us or roughly the same level as us when he took over have done less. Newcastle, Everton, Aston Villa, Leeds, Southampton, Sunderland, Ipswich are all potless. In the past 10 years they have 1 season in the Champions League between them (knocked out in the qualification stage). We've also been to two further cup finals and a whole host of semi finals. Since Levy took over only 12 clubs have won a major trophy, and we're one of them.
2. When he took over we were a mid table club going nowhere, and in all honesty that's about where we are now. This only changed for a short period of time was when he employed Arry, and then he sacked him.
Hahahahahahahaha. Haha. Ha. Thanks to Football Manager, here's a handy chart of our league positions over the last 12 years of Enic.

58f13022d9673b1bd49d2d4db188ef4a.png

Our average league position in the last 5 years is 5.2. Our average league position in the 5 years before Levy was 11.4. We improved drastically under Jol, not just Harry, and are now struggling for the first time in 5 years, since Ramos was sacked.

If you seriously think we're currently a "mid table club" you need your head examined.
3. He employed, Ramos, Santini and AVB. If he had actually researched any of these managers properly, he would have known none of them were suitable.
Hiring a new manager is so easy. What about AVB or Ramos seemed unsuitable at the time of hiring? Both had very good success with clubs our size both domestically and in Europe. Ramos won back to back UEFA Cups with Sevilla, plus a Super Cup, a Copa Del Ray and a Supercopa, while AVB won an invincible treble with Porto in his only season at the club. Santini had been excellent at a France side that has struggled massively prior to and post his management.
4. When he employed Arry he made a statement emphasising that employing a director of football was wrong in hindsight, and that having a British manager in charge with the power to chose his own players was a better option. He has gone back on what he originally said, but why. Levy took over the negotiation with other clubs, but because of his crass arrogance, other clubs don't want to speak to him, and this is why he now employs someone to do it for him.
He tried something different. Ramos had failed at the club and he decided that a risk free appointment was necessary to ensure short term success. And he could not have been more right. Redknapp thrived as players brought in under the previous director of football settled and started making his job easy. Bale, Modric, BAE, Gomes, Kaboul were all tremendous signings that excelled in the long run, and the first two alone were sold for £119m. When Redknapp started becoming extremely short termist and flashing his knickers at the FA for the England job, while Spurs lost a ten point lead over Woolwich and subsequently failed to qualify for the Champions League, he was rightly sacked. Levy decided he wanted a long term direction for the club, and so hired a young, ambitious, successful manager and gave him the Director of Football he wanted (having seen the long term success a director of football can bring) and signed him 15 players at a cost of £170m over three windows.

As for being a cunt to negotiate with, good. I want him to fight for what's best for this club. Who gives a fuck if Perez doesn't like him? Good. I hope he never comes back to unsettle one of our players. His reputation hasn't prevented us from signing some of Europe's top talent this transfer window in spite of a lack of Champions League football or being able to offer ridiculous wages. I don't want a chairman who's going to bend over and take it up the arse from other clubs as soon as they come calling. You would be the first to complain if we sold Berbatov for £20m as soon as Man U said they were interested and then threw whatever Mike Ashley wanted at Newcastle for Andy Carroll. Bale refused to play for the club. Berbatov refused to play for the club. Modric refused to play for the club. Keane probably would have refused to play for the club. Levy fought tooth and nail and scraped £170m out of other clubs for the lot.
The only story I can find on this is from the ever reliable Sports Direct website (the one that publishes the most bizarre transfer stories you've ever read. Yesterday they published four separate articles in the same day linking us to four different managers). Apparently Levy received a £400k a year payrise. Roughly what we pay Adebayor in a month. Fucking fine.
6. He tried to move us to Stratford, which in my opinion was his biggest sin. For those of you who think that was his strategy to get planning permission for the Lane, ask yourselves, would he have turned down the move if we won the bid, taking into account the millions it cost the club to create the financial plan in the first place? He put all his eggs in one basket when he built the business plan for NPD, depending on England getting the World Cup. All we have now is a building site, a Sainsburys and no idea when the first brick will be laid. In actual fact, we all know that without success on the pitch it won't be worth building it anyway.
If we had moved to Stratford I would have been distraught. I would look on Levy very differently. He would've sold the soul of the club for a quick buck. Maybe he really did want to move, maybe he didn't. Fact of the matter is we didn't move, and the pressure placed on Haringay to want to keep us in the area made them much more compliant in our stadium requests. We now have plans and are making movement on a brand spanking new state of the art ground built on the same spot as White Hart Lane. Perfect.
7, Net spend, he has failed to invest in the playing staff for over three years, so what ambition has this shown?
While this is true, in gross spend he has definitely invested in our squad. We've sold £220m worth of players in the past three years, so have been able to significantly spend on players (over £170m worth) in that time, while being able to push money into the new stadium fund. New 50k+ seater stadia don't grow on trees. This reputation Levy gets for being tight, you do know that he doesn't personally pocket any transfer income we don't spend, don't you? It's mostly going to fund a £400m (£400,000,000) stadium. That's a lot of fucking money.
In fact the only decent thing I can say about him is that the club is relatively debt free, but that hardly gives me the same buzz as a day out at Wembley or Champions league football.
We've enjoyed more days at Wembley and more Champions League games under Levy than any chairman in the previous decade and a bit.

I think that they themselves are stuck in a rut too as they can't get the money they want for us plus they're struggling to get investors for the stadium . Sure they could sell up now but I think they want way too much than anyone is willing to pay , offers have come in apparently. It's as if they are trying to sell us as a champion league outfit with all the mod cons yet in reality we're Europa with lots of nice drawings & a sandpit.

I can't see anything changing soon unless they revise their apparent asking price

I don't want a billionaire like Chelsea or Citeh, and in fact would rather be relegated. However, putting that to one side, THFC would make a pretty good purchase. A big fan base, planning permission, and a fair bit of the finance in position. Of course, I would suspect Enic's asking price would be around twice it's real value.

ITS TIME HE FELL ON HIS SWORD

He didn't say that hiring a DOF was wrong. Go to 1:23 to here his exact words. I am not trying to defend him one bit, just trying not to have history rewritten.

He has a lot to answer to answer for and as the Chairman of our club he is responsible for the good, the bad and the ugly. His biggest sin is not to say a fucking word. He is showing NO leadership. The art of a good manager/leader is good communication, Levy doesn't communicat to the supporters of this club. This interview with Crooks is the only "public" interview about Spurs he has ever given in his time. (There was an internally produced video some 5 or so years back when we all stood in amazement when he unveiled the kids drawings of the new stadium) aside from these cases not a thing.
Supporters of this club need to understand what is planned for Tottenham, we need a realistic ideal and an identity to get behind. Without a clear statment of intent, without a vision of what we are trying to achive and an understanding of how we are going to get there we the supporters are left with nothing than speculation and fantasy.
Levy grow some balls and open your mouth, let's here from you directly.

Redknapp thrived as players brought in under the previous director of football settled and started making his job easy. Bale, Modric, BAE, Gomes, Kaboul were all tremendous signings that excelled in the long run, and the first two alone were sold for £119m. When Redknapp started becoming extremely short termist and flashing his knickers at the FA for the England job, while Spurs lost a ten point lead over Woolwich and subsequently failed to qualify for the Champions League, he was rightly sacked. Levy decided he wanted a long term direction for the club, and so hired a young, ambitious, successful manager and gave him the Director of Football he wanted (having seen the long term success a director of football can bring) and signed him 15 players at a cost of £170m over three windows.

Absolute blinker wearing cobblers.
Part of managing is managing players, has it not occured to you that maybe harry was quite good at that.

Look at Adebayors form last season compared to the season before - oh yes that will be because he was given a contract wont it. Dear me.

Oh and your pitiful messiah lost a 7 point lead over Woolwich last season, dress that up a bit.... at least we finished 4th the previous season #downwardspiral

As for loyalty he was also flashing his knickers at PSG and talking about pissing off to Brazil so wind your neck in... and remember he left Porto after stating several times he was going nowhere.

This is a man a fraud and there is no way you can spin it otherwise.

Many clubs who were better than us or roughly the same level as us when he took over have done less. Newcastle, Everton, Aston Villa, Leeds, Southampton, Sunderland, Ipswich are all potless. In the past 10 years they have 1 season in the Champions League between them (knocked out in the qualification stage). We've also been to two further cup finals and a whole host of semi finals. Since Levy took over only 12 clubs have won a major trophy, and we're one of them.

Hahahahahahahaha. Haha. Ha. Thanks to Football Manager, here's a handy chart of our league positions over the last 12 years of Enic.

58f13022d9673b1bd49d2d4db188ef4a.png

Our average league position in the last 5 years is 5.2. Our average league position in the 5 years before Levy was 11.4. We improved drastically under Jol, not just Harry, and are now struggling for the first time in 5 years, since Ramos was sacked.

If you seriously think we're currently a "mid table club" you need your head examined.

Hiring a new manager is so easy. What about AVB or Ramos seemed unsuitable at the time of hiring? Both had very good success with clubs our size both domestically and in Europe. Ramos won back to back UEFA Cups with Sevilla, plus a Super Cup, a Copa Del Ray and a Supercopa, while AVB won an invincible treble with Porto in his only season at the club. Santini had been excellent at a France side that has struggled massively prior to and post his management.

He tried something different. Ramos had failed at the club and he decided that a risk free appointment was necessary to ensure short term success. And he could not have been more right. Redknapp thrived as players brought in under the previous director of football settled and started making his job easy. Bale, Modric, BAE, Gomes, Kaboul were all tremendous signings that excelled in the long run, and the first two alone were sold for £119m. When Redknapp started becoming extremely short termist and flashing his knickers at the FA for the England job, while Spurs lost a ten point lead over Woolwich and subsequently failed to qualify for the Champions League, he was rightly sacked. Levy decided he wanted a long term direction for the club, and so hired a young, ambitious, successful manager and gave him the Director of Football he wanted (having seen the long term success a director of football can bring) and signed him 15 players at a cost of £170m over three windows.

As for being a cunt to negotiate with, good. I want him to fight for what's best for this club. Who gives a fuck if Perez doesn't like him? Good. I hope he never comes back to unsettle one of our players. His reputation hasn't prevented us from signing some of Europe's top talent this transfer window in spite of a lack of Champions League football or being able to offer ridiculous wages. I don't want a chairman who's going to bend over and take it up the arse from other clubs as soon as they come calling. You would be the first to complain if we sold Berbatov for £20m as soon as Man U said they were interested and then threw whatever Mike Ashley wanted at Newcastle for Andy Carroll. Bale refused to play for the club. Berbatov refused to play for the club. Modric refused to play for the club. Keane probably would have refused to play for the club. Levy fought tooth and nail and scraped £170m out of other clubs for the lot.

The only story I can find on this is from the ever reliable Sports Direct website (the one that publishes the most bizarre transfer stories you've ever read. Yesterday they published four separate articles in the same day linking us to four different managers). Apparently Levy received a £400k a year payrise. Roughly what we pay Adebayor in a month. Fucking fine.

If we had moved to Stratford I would have been distraught. I would look on Levy very differently. He would've sold the soul of the club for a quick buck. Maybe he really did want to move, maybe he didn't. Fact of the matter is we didn't move, and the pressure placed on Haringay to want to keep us in the area made them much more compliant in our stadium requests. We now have plans and are making movement on a brand spanking new state of the art ground built on the same spot as White Hart Lane. Perfect.

While this is true, in gross spend he has definitely invested in our squad. We've sold £220m worth of players in the past three years, so have been able to significantly spend on players (over £170m worth) in that time, while being able to push money into the new stadium fund. New 50k+ seater stadia don't grow on trees. This reputation Levy gets for being tight, you do know that he doesn't personally pocket any transfer income we don't spend, don't you? It's mostly going to fund a £400m (£400,000,000) stadium. That's a lot of fucking money.

We've enjoyed more days at Wembley and more Champions League games under Levy than any chairman in the previous decade and a bit.

1. If your happy with one trophy in 12 years, thats great, I'm not.
2. I already said that our league positions were better under Arry, and although the Dutch idiot left us in 19th spot, we were better for a short while under him also. Yes, we are a mid table side. We are presently 7th, and likely to be lower than that by Jan 1st. If you think we will finish any higher than that this, think again.
3. It's amazing how you are still defending the Portuguese moron, after the mess he has left us in.
4. Mate, in business you can't be a "cunt" to negotiate with, or people won't negotiate with you. It's the same in any business. SIMPLES
5. You have given so many examples of how well he did selling our best players, personally I would prefer to keep them. For me supporting Spurs is about watching the best players, and wining games, for you it appears to the figure on the bottom od a spread sheet. How strange, but your choice !!
6. What fooking stadium are you talking about my friend. We are no nearer building this stadium than we were 5 years ago, apart from having a bit of derelict ground to the north of the stadium. The fact that he tried to move us east (and he did) is something I will never forgive him for. I would never have watched Spurs ever again, and sent Levy the bill once I had had my tattoo removed.

Ultimately, the club is no more successful than it was when he took over. We are a laughing stock at the moment, and that is not the fault of anyone else but Levy

Last edited:
Absolute blinker wearing cobblers.
Part of managing is managing players, has it not occured to you that maybe harry was quite good at that.

Look at Adebayors form last season compared to the season before - oh yes that will be because he was given a contract wont it. Dear me.

Oh and your pitiful messiah lost a 7 point lead over Woolwich last season, dress that up a bit.... at least we finished 4th the previous season #downwardspiral

As for loyalty he was also flashing his knickers at PSG and talking about pissing off to Brazil so wind your neck in... and remember he left Porto after stating several times he was going nowhere.

This is a man a fraud and there is no way you can spin it otherwise.
I don't think AVB has done well at all. I think at the time of his signing he was a very sensible appointment.

Back
Top Bottom