Should the League Cup be abolished?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

abolish

• Yes

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • No, but Spurs should quit participating if possible

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters
It was started to fight to the popularity of the FA cup and award another place in Europe at a time there were less placed awarded per nation. It never grew in prestige compared to other tournaments and with the rising intensity of league football created a bigger fixture congestion for top clubs. The award is a spot in the Europa League, and with CL teams winning it almost every year that spot goes to a PL side anyhow.

is it time to abolish the cup and just allocate another European qualification to the PL directly?

I don't see the added value in it anymore and would much rather Spurs didn't have to dogfight lower league sides or have derby matches this early on in the season

I like the LC and it helps to give money to lower league clubs. It’s the scheduling of the season that’s ridiculous. And making the EPL Europa team play pointless qualifiers against farmers 4th XIs that are barely in geographical Europe.

No.

Still think the magic of the cups are more important than anything for the love of the game rather than the love of the pound notes.

Tradition.

Wembley.

Playing jumpers for goalposts and Wembley doubles - not quite the same to play “7th place Wembley doubles”

5-1 at the Lane v Woolwich. What a night that was. Would I want to stop nights like that.
No - not at all. However little the monetary value is its still a semi final which leads to a day out at Wembley. Shocking though they have been for the last 10 years!!

No.

Still think the magic of the cups are more important than anything for the love of the game rather than the love of the pound notes.

Tradition.

Wembley.

Playing jumpers for goalposts and Wembley doubles - not quite the same to play “7th place Wembley doubles”

5-1 at the Lane v Woolwich. What a night that was. Would I want to stop nights like that.
No - not at all. However little the monetary value is its still a semi final which leads to a day out at Wembley. Shocking though they have been for the last 10 years!!
That might be true of the FA cup, but the league cup always had a weak tradition. The constant rebranding also made it a bit tacky. And the day at Wembley, well it’s almost a top 6 event nowadays anyhow.

League One and Two are going to need it more than ever. Maybe the Premier League teams should not take part.
being reliant on a chance for a fixture with a big club is not a sustainable model to keeping lower league football alive. And without the PL sides there will be no broadcast money.
The solutions for lower league football is with the government, not the football league.

That might be true of the FA cup, but the league cup always had a weak tradition. The constant rebranding also made it a bit tacky. And the day at Wembley, well it’s almost a top 6 event nowadays anyhow.

Personally for me I like it and at normal time’s the people I know who work at Lower league clubs look forward to it as well.
Take away the financial aspect this is still a chance to play at a bigger stadium in front of a bigger crowd etc.

We play youngsters squad players in this competition now anyway. Who will always need the game time.......

I just think it should stay personally.

As others have written it's the match scheduling that's the issue.

Would love Spurs to win it. It's a trophy.

Great memories of tagging along with a mate that supports argyle when they played woolwich in the league cup.....about 1990 or so? Got to call George graham a wanker outside the main stand, argyle got beat comfortably but we had fun chucking pasties at the woolwich fans....

Football League Cup
Milk Cup
Littlewoods Challenge Cup
Rumbelows Cup
Coca-Cola Cup
Worthington Cup
Carling Cup
Capital One Cup
EFL Cup
Carabao Cup
Next Season - Whogivesafuckunlesswewinit Cup

I'd want to keep it, it's a cup. Maybe allow teams that are competing in Europe to drop out to avoid fixture congestion if they feel they need to?

As for us playing a second string team, or dropping out entirely, I thought we HAD to win a this or some other trophy so our fans can win Twitter?

Absolutely not.. There are other clubs apart from the top 6.. This is an ideal chance for lower league clubs ( and West Ham) to play against big clubs, make a ferw quid and enjoy a cup run that they can speak of for years..

Don't think it should be abolished. I do think that;

*Replays and extra time abolished, 90 minutes then straight to pens
* The option to switch to a premier league ground and 75% of the proceeds go to the non premier league club who naturally get a bigger allocation for the game. if the non premier league club wants to keep it at their own ground its their choice, but the pitch must conform to certain standards.
*If televised a larger portion of any TV money should also go to the non Premier league club
*Premier league clubs should be allowed if they wish to play a full reserve side for this cup if they don't wish to participate with a first team squad.

This comp has lost its prestige so use it go give non league clubs a chance for a large payday and let each Premier league club treat it as seriously as they want too.

Why not just make it a championship and down cup and leave the PL out of it?

Because its a chance for smaller clubs to get a payday, and these kind of paydays now more than ever are vital for the survival of smaller clubs.
I like the fact we have 90+ professional clubs in this country, its where we differ to the USA. though you guys have the college sports feeding into the pro's.

Last season QFs.

Oxford played man city and Colchester went to man united

season before Burton Albion reached the Semis.

And before that Bristol city got to the semis beating United in the QF.

We support an elite team and over the past few seasons have seen the European giants at home.

Fans of lower league clubs deserve their chance to dream of Wembley too and matches against the top premier league teams.

Back
Top Bottom