So it turns out Poch was right

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Like people saying all summer that there's no way we sign nobody & if we do then ENIC/Levy should be heavily criticised. We didn't sign anybody & then all the excuses came out & the justifying of it.
Exactly.
And we must be the only club in football where the manager gets blamed for lack of investment and lack of signigs.

Ludicrous.

Failure to back Poch will go down as clubs biggest mistake in the last 50 years.

And the clubs biggest failure in the last 50 was that poch never won anything. He can cry all he wants at investment but the team he had was more than capable of winning silverware.

And the clubs biggest failure in the last 50 was that poch never won anything. He can cry all he wants at investment but the team he had was more than capable of winning silverware.
I don’t think Poch has cried about anything. I’m pretty sure he understands the whole thing about us not having a bottomless pit of cash.

Can’t say the same for some of the specials on here though.

To be fair Leicester are a fantastically well run club. I am confused why we weren't after Tielemans, Maddison and Ndidi.
By all reports, Poch.

People blaming one aspect of the operation are missing the point. Liverpool, Leicester, City have total coordination between chairman, manager, scouting, analytics, youth academy, etc..

To blame one aspect is naive and biased.

Exactly. This narrative that Poch simply ‘gave up’ is only half the story I would imagine. It’s very plausible that 5 years of working against the wind with his hands tied wore him down completely.

My heart bleeds with the salary he was on but you’re probably right which goes to show his lack of professionalism

You don’t ‘give up’ in a position like that

While reaching the CL final is a great achievement, talking about leaving we if win it is all different kinds of stupid and illogical. That was moronic of Poch.
Throw away sound bite .... you forget he coached saints then moved on... which manager doesn’t move , or get moved on....

1 good season, that’s not true he had about 3 good seasons of which 1 was amazing.

As for the players Ndombele is clear top draw, how was he to know he would suffer bad injuries, as for Gaz and Foyth they were cheap squad buys. Gaz for the money spent has done pretty well for a back up goalie and Foyth is still a kid with clearly a lot of skill.

I fully remember pre-Poch with a useless Rose, Verts who couldn’t be bothered half the time, a very inconsistent Dembele and so on. The transformation of our players and our club was dramatic compared to AVB/Sherwood. Yes he ran out of steam but given what he started with he did an incredible job.

There was one good season 2016/17, posted 86 points. In 2015/16 when we finished 3rd in a 2 horse race, we posted 70 points. AVB posted 72 points in 2012/13.

But Poch was also part of the problem

He gave up
How many times do you keep pushing the boulder up the hill then? You can keep trying but if conditions and circumstances are the same then you are going to get the same result. And how does one stay motivated being allowed to smell glory but having to digest failure?

This lot of players is who he took to the CL final. This lot of players was this close to the PL title. This painfully average lot that we are seeing now was greater than the sum of its part just 4 years ago and the work has been squandered by underinvesting when the time was right to push on.

How long would you continue to do the same thing and expect a different result? And how fair would you feel it was to be described as having 'gave up' when you poured out your blood, sweat, and tears for a club and its supporters only to be cast aside at the first bit of difficulty...a bit of difficulty that you were trying to avoid by pushing for the 'painful rebuild' that you were clearly promised.

This could have all been avoided if we signed Rondon. Just saying.

Out of interest, if things don't improve under Jose, or indeed get worse, will you finally acknowledge the problem lies with ENIC, and that you made a complete fool of yourself when calling Pochettino a cunt and a fraud?
Folks on the internet will do all types of mental gymnastics to avoid saying they were wrong even when the evidence can be so quickly searched.

Exhibit A:
I think these players are burned out from Poch's stupid training methods.
You mean the same training methods that took these cloggers close to the PL and CL. You mean training them to press like animals in order to level the technical and financial disparity? You mean the training methods that were started 5+ seasons ago that were so demanding yet no real additions were made to the squad to compensate ie quality additions for proper rotation.

Exhibit B (really sinking his teeth into it here):
If they have been overtrained for years, I am not sure that 6 weeks and a moronic Christmas schedule is the answer.
Were you complaining about 'overtraining' in the years previous? Would you be interested in Hasenhuttl, Nagelsmann, Rangnick, Klopp, etc or any other pressing manager? Or are you firmly entrenched with the 'bus' now? How's the reactive footie treating you?

You could just admit it's the players and we could be done with it. That is unless you think they are covering themselves in glory now that they are playing under a manager that you desired. It's all there to be seen.

The problem with Pochettino was that he followed the Bielsa model, but only up to a point.

He came in, started bringing in talented young players, reduced the average age of the squad massively, and got them playing a highly-charged pressing game. This worked brilliantly for about three seasons, then the squad hit a wall last season. We all saw it, but many turned a blind eye as we stumbled into the CL final and top 4 more by accident than design.

Bielsa would regularly refresh his team to keep the squad full of young and energetic players. Pochettino did try to do this (most of our signings and targets were young, up and coming players), but I think he misjudged how long he could continue with the press with an ageing squad, as well as being too attached to players not suited to his system. This season he tried to find a new system to accommodate them, but couldn’t.

As for the players themselves, I think a lot of them feel guilty for getting Pochettino sacked, and are also probably still demoralised by blowing their big chance in the CL final. After the high of making the final I wouldn’t underestimate the low of losing in such an insipid manner.
Brilliant post. Poch was attached to some that should have been moved on. And they are still here stinking the joint out. So many players have been able to become comfortable.

There was one good season 2016/17, posted 86 points. In 2015/16 when we finished 3rd in a 2 horse race, we posted 70 points. AVB posted 72 points in 2012/13.

Were the team really 'that good' or were other teams poor. I think Poch benefited from a purple patch where the other teams were rebuilding. We hit our prime; whilst overs were declining.

City, Pool, Chelsea, Woolwich and United all had a period of rebuild. We now see a much stronger City/Liverpool and United team. Chelsea and Woolwich are getting better and we have the likes of Leicester and Wolves looking to make significant progress.

Everyone got better, we stood still. No change in personnel, no change in tactics and replacing key players (Walker/Wanyama/Dembele) with inferior players.

Over the next 3 seasons, we will likely see Liverpool and City have a couple of 'poor seasons' (maybe this is it for City) and have to replace key players. Meanwhile; Chelsea and United (maybe Woolwich) will emerge as the dominant force. Where Spurs fit into this is unclear.

Poch still signed off on the likes of Nkoudou, Sissoko, Janssen, Lucas etc. When we truly needed to actually push on...
Would he have chosen those players if he had real choice? Of course not. Did he want Mane? Was Mane at the training ground? Would he have chosen Nkoudou over Mane? Or was Nkoudou an opportunistic buy because OM were in a state?

You're starving and I place a plate with a turd and one with some disagreeable foodstuff in front of you. Which do you eat? Am I then allowed to go around saying Totti likes that disagreeable foodstuff because he chose it? No, that would be foolish because your choices were constrained right? Attempting to pick the least smelly turd doesn't mean you like shit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom