So it turns out Poch was right

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t subscribe to this notion much like I didn’t when others accredited Bale and Modric’s success at the club down to Redknapp.

But if what you say is true is Pochettino also not responsible for the regression in these players? Lloris, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Ali, Eriksen, Rose are playing well below the level they set 3-4 years ago. Is Pochettino responsible for that or is it just one way?

And why hasn’t there been any other breakthroughs since 2016 if he so talented in this regard? If he was able to progress talents such as these into such star players why haven’t we seen anyone since Son back in 2016 emerge?

Toby, Verts, Rose are clearly getting older and don’t have the legs they used, not changed under Mourinho either. Eriksen wants out and doesn't care anymore, not sure about Alli that is an enigma.

Since 2016 we haven’t had that much in the way of decent signings. Wanyama was great then his knees went, Sanchez was a ok buy and has done reasonably well, Winks was doing well up-to until this season but there has hardly been a decent pool of players since then.

It goes back to the point other posters have made about Fergie and Bill Nic, you have to refresh the squad every 3 years. We didn’t sell or buy enough and it went stale.

Toby, Verts, Rose are clearly getting older and don’t have the legs they used, not changed under Mourinho either. Eriksen wants out and doesn't care anymore, not sure about Alli that is an enigma.

Since 2016 we haven’t had that much in the way of decent signings. Wanyama was great then his knees went, Sanchez was a ok buy and has done reasonably well, Winks was doing well up-to until this season but there has hardly been a decent pool of players since then.

It goes back to the point other posters have made about Fergie and Bill Nic, you have to refresh the squad every 3 years. We didn’t sell or buy enough and it went stale.

So as I guessed Pochettino is not to blame for that.

Toby is 30 and Rose is 29 and haven’t been playing well for over 18 months now so the age excuse doesn’t wash. And what about Ali and Eriksen? Or Tripper?

And again if Pochettino is such a talent at developing players why have our signings been failures? Why did the likes of Jansen or Njie fail? Why has our youth system only produced Winks and Kyle Walker Peters neither of which are good for us?

When you claim the squad needs refreshing every 3 years you kind of prove my point that he was heavily reliant on the group of players that he largely inherited.

The reality is that he was always the weakest link in the chain, a good manager but nothing more whose frailties became apparant the moment he no longer had an elite team carry him.

"Poch was right....Our chairman's shite"

"Poch was right....Our chairman's shite"

0_GettyImages-675158030.jpg

One thing is for sure, trophies or not - Poch was a miracle man for achieving what he did on a 50p transfer budget over the last 2 years prior to this summer. I'm sure even half the player he signed were not his preferred target but some bargain bin Levy specials like the shit0cunts Njie, Nkoudou, Stambouli, etc.

Much like with Redknapp when he got us 4th in 2010 we failed to invest in the team the following few windows and the rest was history
Again it's evident that the club has made the same mistakes things do not change levy and co have no desire to take the club to the next level.

I’m stunned by some on here who think Jose should have magically made Verts 27 again or Toby 25, even Rose should be turning 23 by now, I mean what’s Jose doing for fuck sake letting these player have another birthday🤷‍♂️....

Anyone still mourning Pochettino seriously runs the risk of turning into an AFTV regular.
We all loved us some Poch at one time or another, and there is no question that 2016 through 2018 were a real joy of consistency on what was a a very up and down last 30 years, but that’s all it was, consistency. We had a group of players who all bonded and produced their peak football during those years, and Pochettino simply rode that horse until it dropped dead....

No matter how much or how little money he had to spend he still was pretty active in the transfer market throughout his tenure.
Barring Son, Pochettino’s one and only shining light, as Dale Alli was scouted pre Poch, and obviously Toby who he worked with at the Saints, no signing has made that much difference or impact, they have either had injury problems, trouble settling or have just been completely shit, plain and simple!!

AVB lived off Bale, and Pochettino had his Bale in Harry Kane, imagine a Spurs with no Kane during Poch’s early seasons?
Coupled together it all worked for those glorious seasons. But his downfall was his inability to buy players, weather it was 10m or 100m he had a poor success rate when spotting talent within our budget (remember, a guy who “supposedly” developed players and didn’t depend on buying success.)

Another false hype that followed Pochettino was “youth”, back in the early seasons we had the youngest team in the league hammering home top 4 football, it slowly developed into one of the oldest, so where has this magic youth messiah been the past 3 years? Again, a false praise placed upon the man, he’s actually banished more youth never to be seen again from the club than he’s actually developed, which of course during his time has been a grand total of NONE🤷‍♂️...unless we class Winks as a major breakthrough🤔

Get behind Jose, let’s see how he does in the transfer windows coming up and judge him then, don’t judge him after 2 months with the squad of chaos he inherited......

I agree with Cockney Spurs above. Some so-called fair-weather fans don't know what supporter means. They sound like the moaners who didn't want Brexit and they will never be happy, just moan at any occasion when everything doesn't go right.

One thing for sure, they NEVER stick up for the team, the manager, but instead defend the FA and the rotten referees who are anti-Tottenham and harming the club.

I’m stunned by some on here who think Jose should have magically made Verts 27 again or Toby 25, even Rose should be turning 23 by now, I mean what’s Jose doing for fuck sake letting these player have another birthday🤷‍♂️....

Anyone still mourning Pochettino seriously runs the risk of turning into an AFTV regular.
We all loved us some Poch at one time or another, and there is no question that 2016 through 2018 were a real joy of consistency on what was a a very up and down last 30 years, but that’s all it was, consistency. We had a group of players who all bonded and produced their peak football during those years, and Pochettino simply rode that horse until it dropped dead....

No matter how much or how little money he had to spend he still was pretty active in the transfer market throughout his tenure.
Barring Son, Pochettino’s one and only shining light, as Dale Alli was scouted pre Poch, and obviously Toby who he worked with at the Saints, no signing has made that much difference or impact, they have either had injury problems, trouble settling or have just been completely shit, plain and simple!!

AVB lived off Bale, and Pochettino had his Bale in Harry Kane, imagine a Spurs with no Kane during Poch’s early seasons?
Coupled together it all worked for those glorious seasons. But his downfall was his inability to buy players, weather it was 10m or 100m he had a poor success rate when spotting talent within our budget (remember, a guy who “supposedly” developed players and didn’t depend on buying success.)

Another false hype that followed Pochettino was “youth”, back in the early seasons we had the youngest team in the league hammering home top 4 football, it slowly developed into one of the oldest, so where has this magic youth messiah been the past 3 years? Again, a false praise placed upon the man, he’s actually banished more youth never to be seen again from the club than he’s actually developed, which of course during his time has been a grand total of NONE🤷‍♂️...unless we class Winks as a major breakthrough🤔

Get behind Jose, let’s see how he does in the transfer windows coming up and judge him then, don’t judge him after 2 months with the squad of chaos he inherited......
Poch didn’t ride the horse, he was part of the horse.

So it turns out Poch was right?
About what exactly? This?

“I am very happy, like I told you before I was happy with my squad and now to add some more players,” the Spurs manager said.
You are always thinking that players can bring good energy and help us achieve all that we want.
We will see what happens, but I am so happy with the way the squad. I was happy before, I am happy plus. I am a happy man.
“I think we have made signings for the future. And the players will have opportunities to play.”

Or this?

"We are happy with our squad and we cannot improve our squad. It is better to keep our squad all together, we believe a lot in our players.”

Or this?

"I am so happy with the squad and we're in a position where everything is possible," the Spurs boss told his pre-match press conference on Monday.

Or this?

“It was difficult to achieve the player we needed,” Pochettino said. “That was impossible. I was happy and am happy with the squad that I have, 25 players.

“We have no regrets, we are happy. When we started the season with three games that we won and we were up at the top of the table people were talking in a different way, ‘Oh how clever are Tottenham because they keep all the squad from last season’.

Or this?

“No, I don’t believe [there will be changes in January],” Pochettino said. “I believe in the players we have. If it is my decision, I am going to stick with the players because I know they have the quality. It’s only to unlock some situation that is going on in their minds.
“I never was keen on January and I will not change now because it is a tough period. The most important is to stay together. Some circumstances can arise in December and January and you need to take some decisions but we are not going to force nothing. We decided the squad was decent and now we have to be strong that our decision was right. We cannot change quickly because we are suffering a storm.”

People hero worshipping someone with less awareness of what they say than Harry Redknapp and Prince Phillip combined.
You can pick out all the stuff you agree with and there will always be a polar opposite view from the guy probably within weeks.

Absolute shambles that people can say “Poch was right”.
He said everything.....he’s right to everyone about something.

I guarantee people who say this this “serial loser” bullshit will be crying when they see Poch win multiple silverware at a club who backs him. Klopp was a serial loser too before Liverpool backed him, but he at least got to finals same as Poch did.

With Mourinho good luck rebuilding a side with limited financial capabilities

So Klopp was a serial loser before going to Liverpool then?

Are you sure??

Suggest you get your facts right mate

Poch has left a squad that is mentally and physically shattered. Over trained, over worked, there is nothing left in the tank

They are footballers, they are suppose to train hard and run. Look at the Liverpool squad they probably train even harder than we used to and run non-stop.

If our players don’t want to run or can’t run much no point being here. We now have Mourinho and quite a few of them still don’t seem up for it.

They are footballers, they are suppose to train hard and run. Look at the Liverpool squad they probably train even harder than we used to and run non-stop.

If our players don’t want to run or can’t run much no point being here. We now have Mourinho and quite a few of them still don’t seem up for it.

The Liverpool squad have probably never been so demoralised as ours were the last year under Poch
Not just about physicality

I'm not sure if this has been debated yet, but does it actually benefit the club that Poch was right? Or does it only help certain individuals and their agendas?

Back
Top Bottom