Solving the riddle?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jose Mourinho has won a trophy in his first full season at every club he's ever managed. If he doesn't win something in his first full season at Spurs (despite now being in a cup final), then it's probably not him that's the issue.

tenor.gif

I reckon David Dein might have had a lot to do with our curse....

Bunged a chef to make the dodgy lasagne that made us play like the walking dead and lose to Spammers so Arse got champs league instead of us.

Bought a voodoo doll that made Ben Foster have stomach pains so he had to miss the West Brom v Arse game, where Arse had to win to get champs league above us.

Bunged the Wes Brom replacement goalie Marlon Fulop (r.i.p.) cash at half time during the game that had a substance on it that blinded you for 45 mins. Meaning in the second half he ended up playing like Stevie Wonder letting in 3 of the worst goals you'll see conceded by a keeper, letting Arse win and meaning they finished above us and again got champs league.

Got a witch doctor to cast a spell on Sisoko where if he ever got to a champs league final with us, every time he went in his own pen area he'd wave to his mum.....

All of this of course is speculation, though wasn't there a manager that got a witch doctor in to lift a curse at a club in Italy and they went on to win trophies?

Seems like witchdoctors have a roaring trade at the moment in London:

Anyone got Levys number?

A lot but that was down to two teams doing what has never been done before.

We genuinely should be looking for progression, we've seen absolutely fuck all on last year and a regression from previous seasons.
I think the fact nobody is finding it easy this season gives us a bit of a reason to not be as far ahead from last season as we wanted to be. I would say being closer in points to top is more important than being closer in position, but aware this could descend into “is 3rd on 70 points better than 4th on 73 points” territory.

Can't agree or disagree with that, it's been a strange season that's for sure and we can only fully assess with the required context as it progresses. Perhaps even at the end of it (assuming that it's not shut down) that maybe that's not even possible to explain away and best forgotten by all apart from the eventual winners.

But no matter how I attempt to make sense of it I'm said to say I hate watching us play, it's simply awful. 14 months down the line, with his players, his strategy, his philosophy you can count the good games under him on one hand. I see zero progress.
We are a tough watch at times. I’m keeping faith as I’m convinced we are building strength from the back and that seems to be working. I’m hoping if Jose isn’t yet happy with the defence, he will be soon and at that point, we’ll work on midfield to get the whole team purring. But maybe I’m seeing a plan where there isn’t one. Time will tell.

If at all possible on this particular thread I want to steer away from player criticism because players get picked and do not go onto a pitch with the intention of playing poorly.

And I want to avoid if possible the logical next object of venom, being that of the manager. Simply too easy.

I want to use this thread to try and decipher the code or the enigma that is THFC.

There are some elements that seem apparent. We are a disliked club. Of that I think there is little doubt. From Chelsea through to Leicester there are a few clubs, West Ham being another who seem to despise us, in a way that is sometimes hard to fathom. Does that have an impact? A question..

Then there is this thing called DNA. Maybe there is something within the fibre of the club. Maybe even if there isn't it's enough that it gets talked about amd maybe takes hold in.the players' psyche? Again a question.

Of course we are not the only underachievers. Just 3 competitors per season to win, plus a Euro comp I suppose but we still fall short.

How can that be when we have had the collection of players we have possessed in the last 15 years or so?

So it's a poser. A real weird one because it seems to be a continuum.

I was 15 when we won the cup in 81..I’m lucky compared to the youngsters who have seen as win fuck all! Like a lot of others on here I was spoiled but if we win the league cup this year I will celebrate like a fucking mad man! I’m 55 now + will appreciate it a lot more!! Fucking TTID!
Yep so will I( gonna be totally legless) because we understand that the next one might be thirty years down the line. That's what supporting a football team is its not an assured bond that pays out a certain about at a certain time.

More than 50% chance* of a trophy this year at this moment in time.

If we get none, I'll logically conclude Tottenham are cursed.

*50/50 Carabao, more than zero chance elsewhere.

Based on our statistics, isn't that more based on other teams just being a bit shit compared to last season?

I do agree though. I'd have taken 6 points off top after 17 games if you offered me it.

We are 4 points better off than last season - but you don't need me to remind you that last season was so woeful we sacked our best manager in 30 years
I don’t think other teams are shit. I just think everyone is struggling to keep players fit, train properly, etc. Don’t see why we should be any different when we’ve probably played more games than anyone. I’d be loathe to judge anyone negatively this season, as every manager says they are struggling.

More than 50% chance* of a trophy this year at this moment in time.

If we get none, I'll logically conclude Tottenham are cursed.

*50/50 Carabao, more than zero chance elsewhere.
You understand that is mathematically bogus fifty percent chance by your own metrics mean we are as likely as NOT to win. So drawing thd conclusion that something supernatural has happened would get you a vexed look off the late James Randi....

My thread yes but here we are again..

Unsolved and worrying..

The DNA of winners is what The squad lack.

It's not just quality of player or even manager, much though it helps but belief.

We really do have such flckle, wager thin character as a club, a squad and the team.

You saw it again last night. You saw it when pegged back against Palace and the subsequent run.

Losing football matches is part of playing competitive sport but we lose everything so quickly.

It is truly painful knowing that whatever the run we are one game from capitulation.

Few other teams are as abject and yet once iñ a while we flicker into life.

It is no wonder pundits nearly always call it right and wrong with us.

Back
Top Bottom