Spurs Financials 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It has been estimated that the 20 clubs combined could be forced to pay back as much as £762million if the 2019-20 is declared null and void as a result of the coronavirus spread (and that's just overseas TV rights - UK TV rights on top).

I estimated before that £1bn - £2bn could be at risk for all PL - so £50m to £100m of revenues per club, Spurs on the higher side as it has gained most.

Worth noting this is not confined to PL - French TV station Canal+ refusing to pay French League next installment of TV rights due to be paid at weekend.

Interesting battle ahead with the tv stations. I think sense should prevail and every contract extended by a year and the money take off bit by bit each year because as much as football needs the tv money, the tv companies need football far more.

As it is I believe it's only a matter of time before a netflix style service is offered.

It has been estimated that the 20 clubs combined could be forced to pay back as much as £762million if the 2019-20 is declared null and void as a result of the coronavirus spread (and that's just overseas TV rights - UK TV rights on top).

I estimated before that £1bn - £2bn could be at risk for all PL - so £50m to £100m of revenues per club, Spurs on the higher side as it has gained most.

Worth noting this is not confined to PL - French TV station Canal+ refusing to pay French League next installment of TV rights due to be paid at weekend.
Premier league should get the courts involved they’re putting lives at risk!

Interesting battle ahead with the tv stations. I think sense should prevail and every contract extended by a year and the money take off bit by bit each year because as much as football needs the tv money, the tv companies need football far more.

As it is I believe it's only a matter of time before a netflix style service is offered.

Yeah it’s all to do with the tv companies and always has been since it was first postponed. I reckon that the PL have been negotiating with the TV companies since they first announced the postponement of the league. It will all come down to what they want and how they get their money out of the clubs now or if it’s deducted from next year’s money should this season be voided. They’ll be negotiating this and the result will be either continuing the current season or voiding it so next year’s money isn’t put at risk.

Yeah it’s all to do with the tv companies and always has been since it was first postponed. I reckon that the PL have been negotiating with the TV companies since they first announced the postponement of the league. It will all come down to what they want and how they get their money out of the clubs now or if it’s deducted from next year’s money should this season be voided. They’ll be negotiating this and the result will be either continuing the current season or voiding it so next year’s money isn’t put at risk.

What TV companies want and what's possible may be 2 different things.

In my opinion, I cant see football resuming until September so 2 options :

1. Finish off 19/20 until October, but that means probably 2 months out of next season so not possible to finish 20/21 as Euros now in summer 2021. So TV loses matches/entertainment for 2 seasons = less worthwhile = less money to clubs

Alternative is to split PL into a North and South League for 20/21 to reduce number of games and fit it into the available timescale. Not sure its that attractive to TV companies

2. 20/21 declared void. Start 20/21 in September and get a full season in. Best for tv and players.

So I think (2) will be the course everyone is forced into. So its then just a question of how to arrange the money...…….not an easy negotiation either and I still think PL clubs will lose say £50m each of their expected income. And in turn I think players will need to take a haircut on wages.

Interesting that both the Dutch and Belgium leagues are trying to void the season

This is going to be a huge mess. Leagues acting unilaterally and awarding european slots is inviting legal cases galore. It should have been done through UEFA with each league bringing their own issues in and a compromise found.

Why would the club's have to pay back the full amount of TV rights if the season is declared null and void. Do the broadcasters then refund subscribers who paid to watch the football? Will the fans receive refunds for their season tickets or any individual games they paid tickets for? Should players pay back their salaries for the season? Where does it end

These are special circumstances, surely everyone involved can come together and agree on a compromise.

Why would the club's have to pay back the full amount of TV rights if the season is declared null and void. Do the broadcasters then refund subscribers who paid to watch the football? Will the fans receive refunds for their season tickets or any individual games they paid tickets for? Should players pay back their salaries for the season? Where does it end

These are special circumstances, surely everyone involved can come together and agree on a compromise.

Certainly it has to be a negotiation between PL (and other leagues) and various TV rights holders.

I do not know the precise terms of the contract (the PL games were sold in packages splitting up but have probably guaranteed 38 PL games for each of 20 clubs to choose from for both Sky and BT for example in UK and other packages for overseas markets) and equally there may well have been force majeure clauses.

However if the uk broadcasters have paid PL say £2 bn for a choice of 38 games x 20 clubs and there are 9 games x 20 clubs unplayed then broadcasters are going to ask for a proportional refund - and the refund of say 9/38 x £2 bn which is a little under £500m. And on top of those there are overseas tv broadcasters, so £'s at risk is probably double or more than that.

But TV needs football to screen as its popular to build and retain its customer base, so its in tv's interest not to push PL too hard, so its not certain how much needs to be repaid but its probably going to end up with the majority imo.

Its going to be a very good question as to what tv companies do with their own customer base - I think a fair number of people have cancelled or downgraded their packages to pay less as there is no football. But I think broadcasters are only giving refunds/downgraded packages/cancellations if customers ask.

Worthwhile adding that most clubs have numerous sponsorship deals, many of which include clauses saying how many games are included - so these will also need to be renegotiated with a loss of expected revenues to clubs, again with say 20% less revenue to clubs. Not to mention supporters season tickets who will at some stage be asking if they get a refund.. .

That's why I think PL clubs will end up with 20%+ less total revenue for 2019/20 season, and few will be able to absorb that loss of income - and as the biggest cost is player wages, these need to come down dramatically as otherwise cannot survive the 5 or 6 month break until football restarts in September, I really do not think it will restart (for safety reasons) before then. Sadly..

Probably wrong thread but wasn’t going to start one lunch time Martin Lewis on radio listeners were firing questions at him last one was a Tottenham fan he‘s paying up his ST but has been furloughed wanting to know if he’s within his rights to get his money back for the last month as Spurs haven’t played and he’s needing cash! Lewis said it wasn’t his field but said it’s a grey area as we don’t know if the season has officially finished plus each club will have a different rule regarding that scenario out of interest what is our stance on this?

Probably wrong thread but wasn’t going to start one lunch time Martin Lewis on radio listeners were firing questions at him last one was a Tottenham fan he‘s paying up his ST but has been furloughed wanting to know if he’s within his rights to get his money back for the last month as Spurs haven’t played and he’s needing cash! Lewis said it wasn’t his field but said it’s a grey area as we don’t know if the season has officially finished plus each club will have a different rule regarding that scenario out of interest what is our stance on this?
Nail in the coffin has probably just been given earlier today during the daily propaganda conference.

I can't possibly see the season competed and a new one start and finish to be played in front of fans.

This leaves just 2 options:
1. Repay the balance of home games to ST holders
2. Roll these remaining games over into a new season

The club will not want to repay money that probably isn't there anymore, so anyone expecting a rebate will be disappointed. Every effort will be made to keep the dosh and apply for credits and/or rollover.

What TV companies want and what's possible may be 2 different things.

In my opinion, I cant see football resuming until September so 2 options :

1. Finish off 19/20 until October, but that means probably 2 months out of next season so not possible to finish 20/21 as Euros now in summer 2021. So TV loses matches/entertainment for 2 seasons = less worthwhile = less money to clubs

Alternative is to split PL into a North and South League for 20/21 to reduce number of games and fit it into the available timescale. Not sure its that attractive to TV companies

2. 20/21 declared void. Start 20/21 in September and get a full season in. Best for tv and players.

So I think (2) will be the course everyone is forced into. So its then just a question of how to arrange the money...…….not an easy negotiation either and I still think PL clubs will lose say £50m each of their expected income. And in turn I think players will need to take a haircut on wages.

The obvious problem is that the 20/21 season is already at risk. No one can be sure it will finish even if it starts.

This is why Levy was right to furlough the staff as it is more important to keep fans happy and make refunds. To season tickets. After listening today it does not sound as if any fans will see matches this year.

Back
Top Bottom