Spurs Financials 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The north London club met a set of strict criteria to qualify for the government’s Covid Corporate Financing Facility (CCFF), which will provide an unsecured loan — repayable in full at a rate of 0.5 per cent — to give them financial flexibility and additional working capital during the crisis. Spurs estimate they may stand to lose more than £200 million of revenue in the period from the start of lockdown to June 2021.

It is only available to firms with an investment grade credit rating — the highest level of credit rating, which reflects at least an adequate capacity to meet financial commitments — and who make a material contribution to the UK economy.

Manchester United are thought to be the only other Premier League club who would be eligible for the CCFF scheme by virtue of having a formal credit rating from an agency. Spurs satisfied the CCFF stipulations after they had £525 million of stadium debt refinanced last year. Bank of America Merrill Lynch and HSBC had helped

I wouldn't read into this too much. It's basically free money that Levy is able to borrow because of the club's credit rating. This is a no brainer.

I wouldn't read into this too much. It's basically free money that Levy is able to borrow because of the club's credit rating. This is a no brainer.

£175m loan for an apparent interest fee of £1.75m is well worth it for a little protection just in case. As you said a no brainer if the interest rates I’ve read about are accurate, it takes advantage of our well balanced books.

Last edited:
I wonder if he got the 175M loan at 0.5% to pay off 175M of the greater loan at 2.25% (iirc).

I'm sure the usual wums in the media will act like it is interest free and that it is all going to Dele's fortnight micro transactions and Serge's hairdresser.

I'm sure a lot of selling clubs will be following this news very intently. Expect an announcement from the club or Jose shortly that it isn't for buying players.

:mourhandlaugh:

The total repayment includes a whopping £215m in interest which puts the overall liability at just over £852m.

As well as using some of their own cash reserves, Spurs initially borrowed £637m from Goldman Sachs, Bank of America Merrill Lynch and HSBC to cover the stadium project.

But chairman Daniel Levy refinanced £525m of that debt into a long-term bond scheme last September.

Official documents show the average length of all remaining stadium related loans - some of which run until 2050 - is 23 years with an interest rate of 2.66 per cent APR.

Figures in the latest accounts for Tottenham Hotspur Stadium Ltd to 30 June 2019 show the club must pay back an average of £37m-a-year until 2042 to pay off the full amount.

However, the North Londoners have the option of making interest only payments for the first ten years of the arrangements.

To put the £37m figure into context, over the past five years prior to the most recent January transfer window Spurs have had a net transfer spend of approximately £21m-a-season.

But although the sums sound huge, the repayments will be more than manageable thanks to the huge increase in matchday revenue the new stadium has brought compared to old White Hart Lane.

Spurs average around £5m-revenue-per-home-game in the new ground meaning their matchday takings look set to well exceed £100m-a-year for the foreseeable future.

These numbers are more than DOUBLE the £45.3m matchday revenue the club bagged in 2017 - the last season at their old stadium.

And that is without taking into account other hosted events like the NFL and Anthony Joshua's postponed fight with Kubrat Pulev which also bring in extra cash.

However, as a result, the current sporting blackout brought on by Covid-19 is hitting Spurs hard as their business model relies heavily on such income.

Tottenham valued their impressive new home at £1.1billion in the latest accounts.

The Sun have got things wrong - they've confused the terms of the bank loans which are in the last annual accounts with the bonds which were taken out after the last year end..

£525m of the debt has been refinanced as bonds, with the bonds only being repayable on average in 23 years time.

The only amount of the bonds that has to be paid in the next 23 years is the annual interest of circa £14m pa,

In addition there is a £112m bank loan with a long term repayment date - interest rate I think is average of 2.66%. so amount payable annually is low at circa £3m pa.

The north London club met a set of strict criteria to qualify for the government’s Covid Corporate Financing Facility (CCFF), which will provide an unsecured loan — repayable in full at a rate of 0.5 per cent — to give them financial flexibility and additional working capital during the crisis. Spurs estimate they may stand to lose more than £200 million of revenue in the period from the start of lockdown to June 2021.

It is only available to firms with an investment grade credit rating — the highest level of credit rating, which reflects at least an adequate capacity to meet financial commitments — and who make a material contribution to the UK economy.

Manchester United are thought to be the only other Premier League club who would be eligible for the CCFF scheme by virtue of having a formal credit rating from an agency. Spurs satisfied the CCFF stipulations after they had £525 million of stadium debt refinanced last year. Bank of America Merrill Lynch and HSBC had helped

I suspect its a loan facility which means they can draw down cash of up to £175m whenever they wish, which gives Spurs a high level of financial flexibility at very low interest rates, and obviously replace cash they would have received from match day revenue etc..

The way the media portrays it , they make it look like SPurs are desperate for money.
Levy's just taking advantage of a situation and putting extra security on the club's finances
Smart...

The Sun have got things wrong - they've confused the terms of the bank loans which are in the last annual accounts with the bonds which were taken out after the last year end..

£525m of the debt has been refinanced as bonds, with the bonds only being repayable on average in 23 years time.

The only amount of the bonds that has to be paid in the next 23 years is the annual interest of circa £14m pa,

In addition there is a £112m bank loan with a long term repayment date - interest rate I think is average of 2.66%. so amount payable annually is low at circa £3m pa.

Are you saying The Sun isn't reporting facts correctly over a sensationalised headline? Doesn't sound like them!

Im not worried about the loan itself but I do find it interesting/disturbing that we went out our way to highlight the fact we won’t use it for player acquisitions.

I suppose saying that we would use it for players tells other clubs to put the price up when we come calling but still something doesn’t sit right. . .

Im not worried about the loan itself but I do find it interesting/disturbing that we went out our way to highlight the fact we won’t use it for player acquisitions. . .

Probably to ensure other clubs don't put the prices up for players we bid for.

What Spurs haven't said is that the loan frees up other funds Spurs have for player acquisitions (and haven't said how much we could have as an acquisition budget for obvious reasons) !

Im not worried about the loan itself but I do find it interesting/disturbing that we went out our way to highlight the fact we won’t use it for player acquisitions. . .

I think it’s in the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium account name, meaning it’s a separate entity of THFC accounts hence can only be used in reference to all assets owned by or accountable for the stadiums name.

My guess is that this will free up some of the debt we need to pay back on the stadium from our profits, resulting in more we can use to pay wages, transfer fees etc whilst staying in line with self sufficiency.

Edit, if our stadium loans are at an interest rate of 2.66% to the banks but this loan is anything from 0.1%-0.5% then instantly Levy has shaved 2% interest minimum off of £175m of our stadium loans payable.

Last edited:
Im not worried about the loan itself but I do find it interesting/disturbing that we went out our way to highlight the fact we won’t use it for player acquisitions.

I suppose saying that we would use it for players tells other clubs to put the price up when we come calling but still something doesn’t sit right. . .
Yeah we have to say that otherwise clubs will think we actually have money..

I'd take the "not for player acquisitions" more as a guard vs being labelled as evil greedy bastards. Most of th egeneral public will totally miss the aaa part. So see spurs borrow cash that could have been spent on NHS to pay some wanker loads of money to kick a football in an empty stadium..

As others have said, doing this is smart. It's essentially close to free money. And not hard to say its not for players, it's all for rates/vat/non playing staff/finance etc. Then use the cash we would have spent for players (or, being enic, maybe not..)

Even if we sign no one it will be used to pay installments on past transfers

Its similarly bollocks when we said the stadium costs wouldn't effect transfer spending

Its not like the club has these separate pots of money that are 100% independent of one another

Back
Top Bottom