European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
Maybe so but if there’s a backlash and the fans STICK to their guns boycott the games, tv subscriptions and starve the club of revenue which I’ll be honest I’m not in favour of in normal circumstances I don’t like harming the club but needs must they need to take heed.....
How many fans will do that? I'm sure Spurs have more "fans" in Asia than in England.

350M every year? No chance

If the players reject it, then it could be dead. Could they strike?

The players will be on board once ownership conveys to their agents that their salaries will double or whatever the number is and the international competitions are sorted out.

If you offer these players (or let's be real, if you offer anyone) double their wages, they'll gladly fuck off to the Super League.

The players will be on board once ownership conveys to their agents that their salaries will double or whatever the number is and the international competitions are sorted out.

If you offer these players (or let's be real, if you offer anyone) double their wages, they'll gladly fuck off to the Super League.
Absolutely right, been demonstrated time and again

I don't know how many times we have to go through this - it's not the 'legacy fans' (ie me and probably you) that they care about - there are about 300k of us, we have no power.
There are 3bn TV viewers across the world that will watch the ESL - that's their audience.
10,000 of them for every one of us.

I couldn't really care less about the overall sentiment, but those places only exist because people purchase their products. We aren't particularly mad at the Germans here because people shop at Aldi.

:moursmall:

Some of you are some nationalist xenophobic motherfuckers in here.

Ignore that dickhead, He lived in the states for 6 months so he swears he knows the inner workings of America. America must have fucked his wife because every post he makes has to include a jab at the U.S.

I'm not nearly as convinced as others that all of the money is going to inevitably flow toward this new competition.

I fully believe that we'd be in an absolutely fine position outside of this new competition.

If this goes through and we are not in it we be at a massive disadvantage to every single one of those teams involved no doubt.

Now we would be the best of the rest but not sure how much that means when all the best players are playing for the ESL teams.

Also not sure why you think the money won’t go there. Unless you think JP Morgan and DAZN are lying and that economics will totally change overnight.

The Americans on here have got to understand you're on a foreign website and as such you may hear some criticism of your country and fellow countrymen and women.

Shocked Oh My God GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
I think Americans here are probably pushing back against the idea that the average American wants this, or even thinks the American "franchise" sports model is superior to the promotion/relegation structure. Most of us got into European football because we LIKE the European approach to sport.

We don't have any say at all in how American sports franchise are run and would probably, by and large, prefer a promotion/relegation model. I haven't seen any American football fan support the ESL.

I think the push back is just that this is a model/system that American supporters want. It is a model promoted by American billionaires no doubt, but that doesn't mean it's a model supported by your average American. Trash the system all you want, we agree it sucks.

People won't buy tickets. Presidents of Spanish clubs won't get re-elected. You think it's hard for italian ultras and the english to tear their stadiums apart as a sign of protest? You underestimate the power of the fans.

Yes I think it is hard for fans to tear apart the stadiums. I think you underestimate the rule of law.

Fans will buy tickets and the TV/advertising dollars will dwarf revenue from ticket sales anyways.

Yes I think it is hard for fans to tear apart the stadiums. I think you underestimate the rule of law.

Fans will buy tickets and the TV/advertising dollars will dwarf revenue from ticket sales anyways.
Most people won't buy tickets. Most loyal fans wouldn't buy whatever package was on offer for the Super League, leaving the broadcasters pull out one by one as per a lack of profit. Remember that people that buy most TV packages are from Europe, other people (me included) just buy an IPTV package. And if the first group don't purchase anything, the money will run out.

I think Americans here are probably pushing back against the idea that the average American wants this, or even thinks the American "franchise" sports model is superior to the promotion/relegation structure. Most of us got into European football because we LIKE the European approach to sport.

We don't have any say at all in how American sports franchise are run and would probably, by and large, prefer a promotion/relegation model. I haven't seen any American football fan support the ESL.

I think the push back is just that this is a model/system that American supporters want. It is a model promoted by American billionaires no doubt, but that doesn't mean it's a model supported by your average American. Trash the system all you want, we agree it sucks.
Good post 👍

Anyone else find it weird how Mbappe and Neymar have been winding down their contracts at PSG.

Their agents knew this was coming. They are going to end up at Madrid and Barcelona respectively.

Good post.

No need for xenophobia

That quality is relative and definitely not inherent. Those teams are not of similar wealth and thus won't be of similar quality.

Also the permanency of participation reduces the incentive to compete as we have already seen with top 4 CL qualifications. Many of these club owners will simply be pocketing the money and have no incentive to invest crazy amounts like they currently do.

Any league will degenerate to being dominated by a handful of teams. Even the current setup of 12 will likely be dominated by Madrid, Barcelona, and City, with Liverpool, Chelsea and Juve making the occasional appearance. Woolwich are not winning the ESL and will languish at the bottom of the table.

The ESL will suffer from the same malaise they claim to be the cure for.
That’s no different to now. Except all the founding clubs gain certainty, control, more money and ultimately total dominance over everyone else. It is a group monopoly. Please don’t think i am in favour of it, I’m just saying it is more of the same we already have actually nothing new really and is ultimately unstoppable because these super-clubs already hold al the powerful cards in the deck.

Most people won't buy tickets. Most loyal fans wouldn't buy whatever package was on offer for the Super League, leaving the broadcasters pull out one by one as per a lack of profit. Remember that people that buy most TV packages are from Europe, other people (me included) just buy an IPTV package. And if the first group don't purchase anything, the money will run out.

No most people that buy the TV packages for this competition will be outside of Europe, the numbers in Asia alone will dwarf the European numbers.

I think you really overestimate the number of people that won't buy tickets, especially when you see the corporate interests that will buy tickets and the expensive tickets that make more than the average tickets anyways.

People are passionate now, and you are likely in a bit of a bubble of "superfans" like those on here that but the average fan will not feel as strong about it. When the games start up tickets will be bought.

I hope they don't sell a single ticket, but have to be realistic about it.

Last edited:
So relieved that Florentino Perez is in charge of this.

He won't fuck things up. The guy is a winner.

I'm sure the clubs have the best legal advisers money can buy.

Back
Top Bottom