Spurs signing that excited you most?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Or I thought Dumitrescu and Popescu were going to be the Romanian version of Villa and Ardiles...

I may have overegged that custard..

Last edited:
Edgar Davids.

Klinsmann was one hell of a signing, but I was too young to realise the significance. Edgar Davids came out of nowhere, and just felt like a top tier superstar back when we were West Ham and West Ham were Luton.

I don’t even remember him being particularly good for us, but he definitely seemed to lift the atmosphere of the club to another level.

Was Billy Nicks last signing for us. Brought us that glamour we had been missing. Scored a hat trick on his debut away at Newcastle. He single handedly relegated chelshit in front of 50,000 baying Spurs fans in 75. What a day that was and what a player. He played for Rangers and celtic too and when asked who his favourite team is he always replied 'Tottenham'.
Was it the Chelsea game that he gave one of their players the wanker sign after a bad tackle?

One of the games in our history i wish i had been at.
Amazing how they still go on about all being locked out.
Only one of theirs SH (in his book) just admits things didn't go their way that day with no excuses.
They just never showed that day. If they were locked out why didn't they hang about? A few I know have admitted it but not many do.

I was 11 when we signed Klinsmann so possibly the same for me, my Dad always used to bang on about the signing of Ossie and Villa and the headline on the morning paper " Tottenham sign the World"

I couldn’t wait to get into work to stick it up these ManU and Scum cunts that I used to work with !!

I loved Jurgen but my favourite has to be the signings of Ossie and Ricky in 1978

Couldn’t believe it at the time

I can remember getting to London at 6am on a Sunday morning from a Bob Dylan concert and reading the Sunday papers.
Incredible getting two World Cup winners after only coming up from Div 2 the season before!

I was there as an 11 year old, with my dad. Can still vividly recollect the first pitch invasion from the Park Lane end.

Talking of crowd trouble; We were at the Feyenoord home game the year before. What always seems to go unnoticed is the behaviour of their fans that evening. They were in the East Upper seats and spent most of the game chucking objects on us, situated below. I saw some Feyenoord fans getting a severe beating afterwards, because of this. Quite eye opening for a wee nipper.
Yes there were some clogs in the Paxton seats too getting similar treatment.

I can remember getting to London at 6am on a Sunday morning from a Bob Dylan concert and reading the Sunday papers.
Incredible getting two World Cup winners after only coming up from Div 2 the season before!

Absolutely and they didn’t disappoint 😉

Although I was at Annfield a few months later when those Dipper cunts put 7 past us, (McAllister and Lacy both had mares although score line hugely flattered them), we got a kicking near Stanley Park afterwards with our minibus 🚐 virtually wrecked and we had to drive back with no windows as we had been bricked
Hated those cunts ever since

Gascoigne for me, he was a cut above all other midfielders in the league when at Newcastle, was ecstatic when we signed him.

Klinnsmann was a funny one, Spurs were playing a pre season friendly at Bristol fucking city 1982 limited....lots of talk in the away end that the deal was done. Went back to the local for last knocking so announcing to anyone he was signing....cue laughter and derision........next day in the papers I was looking at the pictures thinking bet your not laughing now bellends....lol!

Gascoigne for me, he was a cut above all other midfielders in the league when at Newcastle, was ecstatic when we signed him.

Klinnsmann was a funny one, Spurs were playing a pre season friendly at Bristol fucking city 1982 limited....lots of talk in the away end that the deal was done. Went back to the local for last knocking so announcing to anyone he was signing....cue laughter and derision........next day in the papers I was looking at the pictures thinking bet your not laughing now bellends....lol!

At the time Venables said Spurs and Manu had bid £2m for Gazza but we had bought him a fishing rod that swung it our way!!
Only years later it came out that Spurs had given him a personal loan of £50k...not really allowed but Mel Stein knew how to do a deal!

Ginola ................. sorry for being so much of a girl, but I was beside myself when we signed the lovely Daveed.

After that, Ossie and Ricky, then Gazza.

I know I should include Klinsmann, but the way he left, colours my opinion.

Klinsmann made me stop hating football and finally get on board with the family business of Supporting Spurs

1 year of Klinsman = 25 years of being a fan. Git.

GAscoigne easily. This was the most exciting young player in britain, possible europe at the time. Turned out ot be brilliant, although he was surrounded by shithouses like Fenwick and mitchell thomas. Him and Waddle that first season were incredible. Shame we couldn't keep both for the arrival of Lineker the following year.

I was working nights at the time and was moving that day.My brother came round to help me move and the first words he said when i answered the door was " We've signed Jurgen Klinsmann". As i had been asleep all day i was totally in the dark about it all.A very exciting signing,agreed but overshadowed by Ossie and Ricky for me.Possibly an age thing as i was 10 when we got them.Was on the settee at home ill with tonsillitas and my Mum brought the paper in saying this might cheer you up.

I was 11 when we signed Klinsmann so possibly the same for me, my Dad always used to bang on about the signing of Ossie and Villa and the headline on the morning paper " Tottenham sign the World"

Back
Top Bottom