Spurs signing that excited you most?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In recent years Paulinho.

:kanehand::dempsey::avbfacepalm:

Seriously though, I watched practically every minute of that world cup and thought he was excellent and exactly what we needed.

VDV, Ginola and Klinsmann are up there too.

Good call.
I don't recall us signing him, but remember him being a big favourite of the chaps.
I only saw him play once for us,but so glad i saw him.

I saw him score in the 2-1 over the Chavs which sent them down 😆
Was in the Shelf and lots of their <removed>s tried to get in from the Paxton and we gave them a friendly reception!

Yup. There wasn't that much live football on the telly back in those days.
And yet we'd been able to watch an amazing World Cup in Argentina in colour :lamelashock: , and a wiry little dynamo named Osvaldo Ardiles linking it all together for the new World Champions.

There also wasn't any interweb thingy, and newspaper transfer gossip columns barely existed.

1978 was an ITK free world and all the better for it.

Then, entirely out of the blue, Ardiles rocked up to join the famous Spurs, along with some big bearded guy named Ricardo Villa that we'd hardly seen play, apart from one match where Menotti put him on as the enforcer when Brazil tried to kick the home nation out of the tournament.

I vaguely remember some hypocritical kneejerk punditry saying Villa was a filthy player who shouldn't be allowed to grace the English game. This was in the era of Norman Hunter, Chopper Harris and Tommy Smith, who made Ricky look like an angel.

Anyway, I remember standing on the Shelf amidst a cloud of white ticker tape as Ossie and Ricky joined Glenn Hoddle in our pure footballing midfield.

Amazing days. :ossie:

Great 👍 post

Ossie & Ricky will be hard to beat for sheer glamour, and that there were TWO of them!!

I remember racking up quite the phone bill calling Spursline all afternoon the day we signed Gazza... that was quite exciting...

But for the finished article, and sheer audacious nature of the signing... it HAS to be Klinsmann!!

Martin Peters was the first signing to thrill the socks off me (despite the sadness of losing Greaves in the deal)
after that all of the ones mentioned were up there.

Gazza and Lineker were both marquee signings in their day and Bale was widely touted to be the player he eventually became.
We've had some reall classy footballers.

Was Billy Nicks last signing for us. Brought us that glamour we had been missing. Scored a hat trick on his debut away at Newcastle. He single handedly relegated chelshit in front of 50,000 baying Spurs fans in 75. What a day that was and what a player. He played for Rangers and celtic too and when asked who his favourite team is he always replied 'Tottenham'.
I was at that one, and it was memorable for all the right reasons! Atmosphere was electric, could hardly breathe it was so packed. I started at the back of the Park Lane and got pushed down to the front with my feet hardly touching the ground. Ended up on the side of the pitch as the teams came out, and we got moved to the corner at the front of the Shelfside.
That was followed by the Leeds game which was just as exciting. Although we had a real relegation battle that year that was only won on the last game of the season, it was a real roller coaster of a ride.

Genuinely excited by the pit bull EDGAR DAVIDS!! Especially at the time, we were in no mans land.... proper icon of that era in world football.

Klinsmann close.... I was 13.... so I had no real barometer to set it against.

Agree with other comments about Rebrov at the time... Ginola too.... and a special shout out to HUGO! Genuinely top 3 in world at time and not a million miles off today (top 10?!)

:llorishowudoin:

That's probably the player i was most pissed off about us selling.As an adult anyway. Jennings as a kid was heart breaking. But i loved watching Waddle for us.I remember a midweek game v Villa and him ripping them a new one.Superb player
Him and Richard Gough. Pretty sure we'd have won a few titles at least if we'd kept those two.

Back
Top Bottom