Spurs v Liverpool 16 Dec 20:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

None of those would have changed the course of this game
Neto 100% would have. I've watched him with a keen interest since the end of last season and he's doing something neither Son, nor Bergwijn can do.

He's comfortable being on his own high up the pitch. He can receive the ball, dribble at defenders, keep possession, and make a pass when support evetually arrives.

Nothing you're saying here is disagreeing with my point.

We both had about the same number of good chances. They took theirs and we didn't take ours.

A loss is an unlucky result based upon the balance of play.

I'd agree it's unlikely. However not surprising.

And that's most disappointing of all.

There has been zero mentality change in this team. Because we're 13 games in and already:

- Dropped points in nearly half the games we've played
- Dropped points in half of our home games
- Thrown away a 3 goal lead
- Once again lost late to a rival
- Look ropey from set pieces

All the same things we've done or said for the past 5 years.

What it's looking like is that most of the league is inconsistent and a bit shit. The fact Man Utd can go 2 points behind us tomorrow with a game in hand is fucking laughable.

We had this golden opportunity to crush their confidence at Anfield. I trust no one else but us. Which team right now can take on Liverpool at their turf and win? So disappointed

I didn't mean he was poor in that game I meant when he's poor (or even worse injured) in the future. Liverpool has a much deeper bench it showed tonight. A lot of injured players yet it didn't impact the quality of their football. Ive been impressed with Ruben Aguilar of late!

We also need another Ndombele and Dier has to go

Clueless.....

I'd agree it's unlikely. However not surprising.

And that's most disappointing of all.

There has been zero mentality change in this team. Because we're 13 games in and already:

- Dropped points in nearly half the games we've played
- Dropped points in half of our home games
- Thrown away a 3 goal lead
- Once again lost late to a rival
- Look ropey from set pieces

All the same things we've done or said for the past 5 years.

What it's looking like is that most of the league is inconsistent and a bit shit. The fact Man Utd can go 2 points behind us tomorrow with a game in hand is fucking laughable.
It's pretty pointless debating something as nebulous as "mentality."

I'd argue going 3W 1D 1L against the big 6 so far is a pretty good sign of our mentality being better in big matches.

Yes we've dropped points but we're 2nd in the league in a bizarre season where we've probably played the most matches out of any team in Europe. We're still alive with a good shot of winning 4 competitions.

Let's see where we are in a couple months before saying nothing has chanced.

It's pretty pointless debating something as nebulous as "mentality."

I'd argue going 3W 1D 1L against the big 6 so far is a pretty good sign of our mentality being better in big matches.

Yes we've dropped points but we're 2nd in the league in a bizarre season where we've probably played the most matches out of any team in Europe. We're still alive with a good shot of winning 4 competitions.

Let's see where we are in a couple months before saying nothing has chanced.

That could also come under 'the rest of the league this season is a bit shit'

We beat Man Utd away - but they were also down to 10 men. We also beat Man Utd away under Pochettino, Sherwood and AVB.

We beat Woolwich at home. Something every manage since Juande Ramos has achieved.

We beat Man City at home. By the EXACT same scoreline we beat them at home with last season.

Our most impressive was drawing with Chelsea away - but looking back now after they lost to Wolves and Everton, maybe we should have done better? Even then, we probably should have lost it at the end with Girouds chance.

Let's not forget Leicester are currently 2W and 1L against 'big 6' so far. Smashing City 2-5 away from home in the process too...

Neto 100% would have. I've watched him with a keen interest since the end of last season and he's doing something neither Son, nor Bergwijn can do.

He's comfortable being on his own high up the pitch. He can receive the ball, dribble at defenders, keep possession, and make a pass when support evetually arrives.
You simply don't know that, and in any event, he's not our player and probably never will be

I take your point, but we deserved our win against City. We rendered them toothless..... Pep got schooled.

This season was our best performance against them for sure, i’m referring to a series of fortunate results we’ve had over them the last few seasons.

In the context of us/Mourinho right now, and the opposition, I didn't have too many problems with the tactical concept, I get the idea of putting Sissoko at RM and Lo Celso inside, Liverpool's danger areas are very much the wide areas, using Sissoko the human but plug to stop the Robertson train seemed smart enough, and having at least one Cm that can play football through midfield means we should have been able to counter better (and that's how we got our equaliser and were unlucky not to get Bergwijn away too).

I don't think the problem was the shape or way the personnel was arranged first half, I think we were just fucking lethargic, too passive and reactive and allowed them to ping the ball about too easily, which is something our Mourinho bus park does a lot in games, makes it too easy to get into our box. And I also think, as with a couple of the other bus park games, that first half, we didn't make enough attempt to threaten, even on the counter.

Some will say switching things round second half had a positive effect, I don't think it made much difference, if anything, personnel wise, I think it made things a bit worse, Lo Celso was never going to chunder up and down a flank, and was quickly on a card, and we lost the capability to play through midfield, but what did improve initially was our attitude, clearly Mourinho had put a bug up their arse and we started more aggressively, were less passive, pressed a bit better in medium areas, created a couple of chances - which gave them something more to worry about for a while and made them a bit more cautious.

I don't rate Bergwijn much, but I get why he's in there at the moment, he does a job in both directions, and I thought he did a good job of helping to shut down the threat of TAA tonight, and was unlucky not to get on the score sheet. Kane's misses were just as bad.

First half I think we were lucky to come in even, ironically second half I think we should have fucking scored at least one of those chances and I felt they had run out of ideas. First half X/G Liv 60 Spurs 35, second half Liv 62 Spurs 117. Does that make us the better team, pffttt...no, surrendering as much ball and territory as we did can only be deemed "better" tactically if it works and you get something, if you get fuck all you can't really piss and moan too much. Could we have won, yeah, we had the better chances for sure.

The really disappointing thing is that it's another bit of schoolboy defending at a set piece that's cost us.

And what really fucking fucks me off is we can never seem to skank a fucking win against these cunts at their place, we can't even thieve a fucking skanky bus park win. Even when we were better than them we couldn't beat the cunts up there. I'm so fucking fucked off with it.

Last edited:
Don't be daft. Look who they had at centre half.

Fabinio was taken from his defensive midfield role and put in defence which greatly weakened their centre midfield. So that's a big hole at centre half and also in front of them

No Jota who was literally scoring every game before injury.

It was a great chance to go there and win
They had Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain on the bench. Jones was selected in midfield on form, Klopp was not forced to play him.

Back
Top Bottom