Spurs v Lyon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Have always liked him, he won me my first decent bet a few years ago. Him to score first and Inter to win 2-0 against Bayern in the Champs league final. £5 on 35/1.

I don't think he'll play again after that, saw the video earlier, looked so nasty. The worse kid of injury. He won't come back as the same player anyway.

So how many fans do you think missed the goal yesterday? I was sat on the edge of my row when about 10 guys come down the stairs they paused as we won the free-kick, they obviously stopped to watch it unfold but the steward in block 33 was having kittens, telling every one to either leave or go back to their seats.

...bloke in front of me left to get a beer* at half time, then left as well before the end.

so basically thinks Lyon won 1-0...

*(no beer in europa league except Rome)

Of course UEFA rankings are an indicator of a team's quality - they're given in respect of how teams perform in Europe.

No they're not; they're given for performances in Europe over the last 5 years. In the past 5 years Lyon have lost Benzema, Lloris, Ben Arfa, Pjanic, Toulalan, Kallstrom, Ederson, Cissokho, Bodmer, Govou, Makoun, Juninho, Keita, Coupet, Remy, Baros, Malouda, Fred, Alou Diarra, Abidal, Tiago and more. They are a far different side to the team that were CL knockout regulars as recently as 2 years ago.

Lyon are a good/very good side, one of the best in Europe and we've just beaten them.

Good? Yes. One of the best in Europe? No way. Steed Malbranque took 17 months out of football and is walking into their side age 33 FFS. We did beat them and as I have previously iterated I thought it was a very good result.

Well Lyon are rated ten places above Zenit, I can't even find Anzi on the table so they must be well below Lyon, and Atletico are only two places above Lyon, so of course I can easily envisage us beating any of those clubs if we're good enough to beat Lyon.
We scraped past Lyon at home with two Bale wondergoals and away from home will be much tougher. If you're deciding that we can beat other teams based on their relative positions in the UEFA standings then presumably Liverpool would knock out Man City and FC Basel would knock out Dortmund, right?

So how many fans do you think missed the goal yesterday? I was sat on the edge of my row when about 10 guys come down the stairs they paused as we won the free-kick, they obviously stopped to watch it unfold but the steward in block 33 was having kittens, telling every one to either leave or go back to their seats.

A guy next to me in block 31 went for a piss before our first goal, he then went off for another piss just before they scored and then him and his mate left on the 87th minute. So basically he he saw a scrappy 0-0 draw

I'm still buzzing after that result and I think we will find it easier at their place as they won't be defending as deep as they were last night, so that will give Lennon, Bale, Holtby (please) and Adebayor to their thing

Decent night in block 33, atmosphere seemed pretty good 1st half but pretty poor 2nd. Their goal was right in front of me and it looked unreal then and still does now. Our performance was pretty average, very impressed with Gallas thought he had a top game even though I don't like him. I won't comment on Adebayor or his 1st touch but I'm sure you'll all know what I'm thinking. Away leg will be tough, going for a boring 0-0 hopefully.

No they're not; they're given for performances in Europe over the last 5 years. In the past 5 years Lyon have lost Benzema, Lloris, Ben Arfa, Pjanic, Toulalan, Kallstrom, Ederson, Cissokho, Bodmer, Govou, Makoun, Juninho, Keita, Coupet, Remy, Baros, Malouda, Fred, Alou Diarra, Abidal, Tiago and more. They are a far different side to the team that were CL knockout regulars as recently as 2 years ago.

Good? Yes. One of the best in Europe? No way. Steed Malbranque took 17 months out of football and is walking into their side age 33 FFS. We did beat them and as I have previously iterated I thought it was a very good result.
Yes they- they're given for performances in Europe as you say so they're an indicator of how that team has done.

Back
Top Bottom