Spurs vs Leicester City 20 Dec 14:15

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We should have brought on Bale.
Judging by how the first half went, it seemed like a reasonable sub. We needed someone higher up that could hold the ball and take on players.

GLC getting injured in the first few minutes into the 2nd half make the Bale useless because we had no one who could give him the ball in good positions further forward.

A few points for me:

No idea why, but didn’t challenge for the 2nd ball (Winks did, tbf, when he came on) - probably tiredness?

Second time we’ve seen Tanguy and GLC - second time it’s not worked.

Leicester simply marked Son and Kane and that made it easy. Without goals coming from MF or the RW, it makes it a simple game of attrition.

We were unfortunate with GLC injury - he was the only player (apart from Kane or Bale) who can actually pass - too many passes are just dropping onto Leicester players’ heads. I guess as a result of always trying to drop it over them on a long diagonal.

When Bale came on, nobody passed to him, even though he was often in space or offering himself in a tight position - needs to play more with the first team.

Worst I’ve seen all season - but we’re only a third through the season. Another game Wednesday, we move on.

If we cant rope-a-dope and play on the counter (City, Woolwich, etc) then the only times we've done anything in matches is if a team has been having a total meltdown of a game (Utd, Soton) or they've been absolute minnows (some of the Europa opponents).

Faced with any sort of obdurate and battling opponents - Today, Palace, Burnley, Brighton, West Brom, Newcastle, Everton, Antwerp, LASK, even West Ham for an hour was fucking atrocious - and games where we're obliged to have much more of the ball and break a team down, we're scratching around for 90 minutes, by law of averages having some chances here and there, but on the whole looking absolutely clueless as to how to go about proceedings. You cant keep doing that and winning matches, it eventually has to catch up with you.

Then there is the problem that Kane/Son/Hojbjerg it looked like one game too far today, really flat and low in energy. Behind them, the key players, particularly the two attackers everything is reliant on , we've got very little backing them up and picking up the mantle.

We've got to formulate a plan B for when counter attack football isn't on/doesn't work.

As long as

Because they know we flake when the pressure is on, if we draw that game against Liverpool or win it then they probably think differently.

Football is a game of fine margins when it comes to mentality, the difference between winners and losers is getting the job done when things really matter.

That Liverpool game mattered, people were looking at us to see if we had the guts to do the job or if it was just the same spurs of old that don't have the guts or consistency to get the job done.

They got their answer and that's exactly why teams like Leicester know they have nothing to fear because for all the good we do, they know we don't have the killer mentality and that's likely what Rodgers told them in the dressing room.
Spot on.... anyone who disagrees with this needs to watch Carlitos way

We had a chance to regroup at half time and did tweak things. We took off one of the few players likely to help us create and left the donkey out there that contributes fuck all, who then contributed to their second goal (as he had the first as well).

We spent the first thirty minutes sleepwalking, just as we did at Anfield (and numerous other phases of other games) a few days ago.

Pragmatism OK, aggressive, pro-active pragmatism - passive sleepwalking any time is bollcoks.

Aurier was stupid, but so are some of the selections, tactics and subs. One doesn't give the other a free pass.
Going in 0-0.

Different context.

Players coming out with a different energy.

On conceding, I did think Jose then lost the plot when we did come back out and didn't address it correctly.

But I was ok with the first half.

Serge fucked us.

Right before halftime.

He doesn't get forgiven.

I think our problem is our only goals are coming from son and Kane , Son missed a sitter today and Kane missed a header that should have gone in, so even though we were so shit we were getting chances , but it seems son and Kane aren’t having a good day we have no one else to come in and score , shame we haven’t got another striker on the bench to bring in instead of Winks ? Although he looked decent when he came on but then Leicester at 2-0 were happy to just sit back , it’s a shit result and tells us everything about the team and it’s not good !
That wasn't really a sitter. You can type it all day while comfortably sitting on your chair. It will ready s i t t e r if you type it. But it wasn't. These were nest version of what they were able to manage on the split seconds. Kane and Son are not defenders. They spending too much of energy defending

We were poor and lost, that is football it happens but what is more upsetting for me is seeing how much of a wanky fan base we have these days.. never in my years have I seen so many fans delighted and happy that we lose..
I just hope they are all on here and not out in the real world.
Thats kind of unfair Bill

None of us want to see us fail. We just want to see us trying to go out and beat the team we are playing.

JM is a great manager, a real people person and a manager of humans, its how he gets the best out of the ones he has at his disposal. I want him to succeed, but there has to be a time when we use the god given talents of out squad to go out and try to beat teams from the kick off.

When Palace equalised, we ran them into the deck, because we have good players. We can play the game as well as play the defensive breakaway tactic.

We were poor and lost, that is football it happens but what is more upsetting for me is seeing how much of a wanky fan base we have these days.. never in my years have I seen so many fans delighted and happy that we lose..
I just hope they are all on here and not out in the real world.
Most on here I think

Some with anti Jose agendas seem delighted we lost and played badly

Pathetic really

Come on WhatsApp mate

I was struck by two main things,1) how much more space City players had after a pass than our boys and 2) how many times we seemed to be second to a ball, or even waiting for the ball. Neither are to do with Mourinho-ball but bad decisions/tactics by us and good tactics by them. We need to have more attack to the ball.

Everything was pedestrian. I can’t really remember one pacy attack that we had. It was like watching over 50’s walking football that was all the rage a couple of years ago

That match today is why I have refused to get carried away. And why I have refused to buy into Mourinho. Leicester are not a better team than us. I know this is going to garner massive X’s, but I’m bored of this “football” now. I have said privately that I would stomach it for a title/cup. But I never really believed it would produce that. Cup games are obviously one offs and therefore I wouldn’t write off winning one. But fuck me my brain might be too dead to understand what’s happening by the time Hugo hoists the Carabao Tin Can above his head.

It seems that the team doesn’t have the ability to play a possession based progressive style. Like they have forgotten or lost the skills and mental/positional awareness to play in that manner.

For the first time in YEARS I’m feeling I could skip a game. It’s just not an enjoyable way to spend 2 hours.

Daniel needs to take down the motto “To dare is to do” and the quote “the game is about glory” for the next 18 months. Which is how long I can see José lasting.

Please, please José, let the footballers play football before you ruin the likes of Tanguy, Gio, Sonny and Harry for ever.

This may well be a melt. But I just don’t like the style.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom