Spurs .Vs Southampton . KO 19/03/17 , 2:15pm .

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd start him on Sunday. Home match, friendly atmosphere, everyone willing him on. It's an easier game (on paper) than burnley away. They are pretty good at home & I would play son ahead of Janssen there.

#freethevinny

I dont think its a case of his confidence dropping further if he doesnt score, so long as he has a good game and contributes. I think it would be a massive boost to reward him with a start, and see what he can do in this formation.

I dont see the worth in bringing him on with 30 minutes left if we are cruising. Janssen needs to become a game changer, and game winner. Kane is injured, and I dont see us in a position of luxury where we can continue to bed him in.

I also think Son is the far better option off the bench, he seems to fade off when he starts games.

One gripe Ive had with Poch since the last time we played Southampton, in the period we also stuck 4 past Watford and WBA, was that he still didnt bring Vinny on, giving him 3 minutes here and there.
I hope the lack of game time and backing doesnt come back to bite us now we genuinely need him.

The more he plays, the more chance he has to score. Simple as that for me, although I dont expect to see much of him on Sunday, sadly.

One of my biggest criticisms of Poch this season.

If anyone deserves the start in this game it's Son. If things are going good for Son it's usually apparent around the 60' mark. I think Vinny can take the game by the scruff of the neck so long as Eriksen hasn't been subbed off.

Or seeing as Poch likes wingers, why not a 442 at some point during games..?

Walker..........Toby........Jan...........Davies

Son..........Dembele.......Vic............Eriksen

.....................Dele
..................................Janssen

Son and Eriksen obviously cutting in, fullbacks overlapping and Wanyama playing box to box.
Old fashioned maybe, but there is still a place in football for this formation in my opinion.

Id be willing to bet Man U late 90's would destroy todays Chelsea.

Last edited:
This is what i'm expecting tactically from southampon.

- Their defence and midfield is weak, they will park the bus and try to hit us on the counter.
- The kink in our armour against players with pace is on the left hand flank with Davies and Vertonghen. I expect them to attack this area.Hopefully Dembele drops in a bit to help out.
- Walker needs to make sure he tracks back but I am sure Dier & alderweireld will dictate well from the back.
-Dembele & Wanyama will win the midfield battle.
- Our creative players Dele,Eriksen & Son will probably try to go centrally, given Southampton's weak defence we may have an few chances
- Southampton will try to exploit any space if we start three at the pack, I am not against starting 3 , just as long as we aren't caught out by counter attacks.
- Players to watchout for are obviously Redmond & tadic.
- I'd rather we start sissoko as a battering ram, but i know this is a risk too.
- I also predict Jassen may start, otherwise we will not have a plan B.

I'm still fuming at the fact we couldn't beat this shit in our last home game of last season - even a point against these lot in that game would have seen us finish above Woolwich.

That should be the main motivation this Sunday - avenge that defeat, keep up our unbelievable home form with yet another win, enjoy the fact that at least one of our rivals would have dropped points at the weekend and hopefully go into the international break in second place, no more injuries and look forward to our next league game with Rose and Kane closer to a return.

This is what i'm expecting tactically from southampon.

- Their defence and midfield is weak, they will park the bus and try to hit us on the counter.
- The kink in our armour against players with pace is on the left hand flank with Davies and Vertonghen. I expect them to attack this area.Hopefully Dembele drops in a bit to help out.
- Walker needs to make sure he tracks back but I am sure Dier & alderweireld will dictate well from the back.
-Dembele & Wanyama will win the midfield battle.
- Our creative players Dele,Eriksen & Son will probably try to go centrally, given Southampton's weak defence we may have an few chances
- Southampton will try to exploit any space if we start three at the pack, I am not against starting 3 , just as long as we aren't caught out by counter attacks.
- Players to watchout for are obviously Redmond & tadic.
- I'd rather we start sissoko as a battering ram, but i know this is a risk too.
- I also predict Jassen may start, otherwise we will not have a plan B.
We are going to beat them.
Poch has this sorted.

I'd rather throw him in with 30 minutes to go and slowly gain confidence than God forbid we start him, he doesn't score, then he's back where he's started with little to no confidence.
why not remove the risk of destroying his confidence altogether by just not picking him for the match day squad at all? Get him out doing some stewarding or selling programmes. That should buck him up a bit

No Kane no gain im afraid..

Only jokin! Come on you spurs, weve got enough in the ranks to get this one done.

another appearance and another goal for Vinny will do nicely too.

Lets ave it! COYS!

Last edited:
Always loved playing against soton. That useless striker on my avatar made it one beautiful day for a poor yiddo going to school after THAT comeback. and we usually get results against them
But they are a dangerous side who could slip one through and then fall deep with a nicely parked bus so we ought to blitz them from the start.

repeat please

EDIT: fucking hell Steffen Iversen still plays football!

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind Trippier getting games to be honest. Wanyama would be a big blow though. Even if I do feel Winks/Dembele is more than capable.

Just at the airport now, looking forward to coming home been a while, want revenge for last game I came home for, yes the debacle that was last seasons last home game against Southampton

Block 29 Row 15 seat 152

Will be in The Bell and Hare or whatever the fuck it's called now from 1pm if you want to say hello.....

I'll be wearing the red shirt with JVC on the front you can't miss me ;)

COYS!!!

This will be a four or five one win to us.

Their defence is actually awful. They've been punching well above their weight this season.

I made a bit of cash with a bet on us beating Millwall 6-0 so I must know what I'm talking about.:akabusi:

Please just win. 3 points. 1-0 I don't care. Hate it when we draw/lose before an international break and having to watch fucking gobshite England play kickabout for 180 minutes.

3 point is a must. Best 11 not a tims to change things around. Southampton can score goals and able to concede. We must be on it from the off. Son to play instead of kane, no brainer. Janssen will get a kick. We must be sound at the back, we mustnt allow them a sniff at goal because they have that Italian up front who like s to score one or two, Gabbidinni (spelling?). This could be tough or as easy as when we beat them 4-0. Im going for tough, 3-2 win- just out score them.

Southampton have always been a feeder club. I have freind who supported them in the early 80s then switched to Woolwich? True. He went to Southampton games and wore southampton badges etc.. you couldnt make it up.

Back
Top Bottom