Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dj8QmeoXoAI5AYo.jpg

just a reminder of our new first years

Was reading through the other teams lists and spotted that talented Irish centre half Timi Sobowale has joined Man City. He was with us a year ago.

The Irish independent is reporting that we've made a bid of £200,000 for shamrock rovers first choice goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu (16). I've seen him play and he's the real deal, if we were to sign him he'd probably go into our u18 side.

Was reading through the other teams lists and spotted that talented Irish centre half Timi Sobowale has joined Man City. He was with us a year ago.

As has Ben Knight who was with Ipswich but trained with us and I think went to a tournament or two with us. Chelsea and ManCity still hovering up a lot of the best youngsters who generally get nowhere footballwise but get a large wedge.

The Irish independent is reporting that we've made a bid of £200,000 for shamrock rovers first choice goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu (16). I've seen him play and he's the real deal, if we were to sign him he'd probably go into our u18 side.

Wow! I was going to post in the transfer thread I bet no one's even heard of him!!

Respect!!

:pochbye:

I went to a pre season friendly at Swindon when noddles was manager and a youngster called yannick kamaman I think scored to and looked like he’d breakthrough but think he ended up playing in Israel

As has Ben Knight who was with Ipswich but trained with us and I think went to a tournament or two with us. Chelsea and ManCity still hovering up a lot of the best youngsters who generally get nowhere footballwise but get a large wedge.

Yeah your right he was at the San Diego surf cup with another Ipswich youngster Nyambe? A shame but I really rate our U18's this season. With Chelsea not being as strong as in recent seasons I fancy our chances in the FA youth cup.

There's probably been a few over the years, but anyone else old enough to remember Alistair Dick. Early eighties. He was meant to be mustard, and at the time of his debut around 81/82/83(a game I was at) was the youngest ever Spurs player (16yo). He made a sub appearance in our 84 UEFA cup final. He made a handful of appearances, then went to Ajax, was really unlucky with injuries, made a handful of appearances for them, then ended up in places like Australia and South Africa I think.

Yup - my Dad took me and we got seats in the old North Stand when Ally Dick made his debut. It was back in the days of one substitute only, and Burkinshaw had the 12th man warming up after about 20 minutes.

Ally Dick was all left foot, built as slightly as our other Scottish wonderkids of those days - Alfie Conn and Neil McNabb - and it never quite worked out for him.

I also remember after we signed Ardiles and Villa, and began the season with a ridiculously attacking line up, at some stage Burkinshaw panicked. He went all defensive and dropped Hoddle for..... John Pratt. I can only imagine the online meltdown that would take place should such a thing happen now.

The Shelf was baying for Hoddle all game, and he eventually came on as substitute for the hard working but limited Gerry Armstrong. Glenn played up front and had the best 30 minute cameo I've ever seen from a Spurs youth product. He was absolutely brilliant, winning the game pretty much single-handed, even though he was playing completely out of position.

Last edited:
Yeah your right he was at the San Diego surf cup with another Ipswich youngster Nyambe? A shame but I really rate our U18's this season. With Chelsea not being as strong as in recent seasons I fancy our chances in the FA youth cup.

Interesting call given Chelsea have dominated the cup for a few years now - what about the u18 league - same call or just the cup ?

Must admit that Parrott up front to score goals, possibly Richards as a winger and we can get a few goals which is a good part of the battle

Interesting call given Chelsea have dominated the cup for a few years now - what about the u18 league - same call or just the cup ?

Must admit that Parrott up front to score goals, possibly Richards as a winger and we can get a few goals which is a good part of the battle

Just the cup we're far too experimental in the league to have any sort of consistency! This side could do any u18 team on there day IMO!

Kurylowicz
Walcott Lyons-Foster Binks Cirkin

Skipp (c) Bowden

Markanday Maghoma Richards

Parrott

Just the cup we're far too experimental in the league to have any sort of consistency! This side could do any u18 team on there day IMO!

Kurylowicz
Walcott Lyons-Foster Binks Cirkin

Skipp (c) Bowden

Markanday Maghoma Richards

Parrott

Good side, my only question is whether Skipp and Bowden are too similar and would lack a little creativity at cm ? Not sure who we would put instead - although Rafferty Pedder if fit might be an option as might Armando Shashoua - but in practice I think Skipp will be playing in the u21 group of matches leaving Bowden to the u18's.

Last edited:
I also remember after we signed Ardiles and Villa, and began the season with a ridiculously attacking line up, at some stage Burkinshaw panicked. He went all defensive and dropped Hoddle for..... John Pratt. I can only imagine the online meltdown that would happen now should such a thing happen.

The Shelf was baying for Hoddle all game, and he eventually came on as substitute for the hard working but limited Gerry Armstrong. Glenn played up front and had the best 30 minute cameo I've ever seen from a Spurs youth product. He was absolutely brilliant, winning the game pretty much single-handed, even though he was playing completely out of position.

I went to a similar match, maybe the same one around that time when Burkinshaw lost his nerve, and dropped Hoddle to the subs bench. He came on at the end, scored a goal, v Coventry and finished 1-1.

Coventry were wearing the most disgusting away strip I've ever seen, brown with 2 white lines. Urgh.

Trivia on above. That was probably the best team that Coventry ever put out (better than the one in '87). Terry Yorath in MF, was probably playing in that match. Really good minder, grew up in that Leeds squad but unless there were injuries could never get the nod over Bremner/Giles. Keith B bought him shortly afterwards, and he provided the platform for our creative MF'ers Ossie/Ricky/Glenn.

Last edited:
I went to a similar match, maybe the same one around that time when Burkinshaw lost his nerve, and dropped Hoddle to the subs bench. He came on at the end, scored a goal, v Coventry and finished 1-1.

Coventry were wearing the most disgusting away strip I've ever seen, brown with 2 white lines. Urgh.

Trivia on above. That was probably the best team that Coventry ever put out (better than the one in '87). Terry Yorath in MF, was probably playing in that match. Really good minder, grew up in that Leeds squad but unless there were injuries could never get the nod over Bremner/Giles. Keith B bought him shortly afterwards, and he provided the platform for our creative MF'ers Ossie/Ricky/Glenn.

I suspect your memory is better than mine and we came back to draw, rather than win. But Hoddle was so amazing in that half hour cameo up front that I think post-match Burkinshaw muttered something like "I didn't realise Glenn could play so well with his back to goal".

SC is currently in meltdown as the latest ITK suggests no incomings.

As part of this, ValenciaYid, who allegedly has contacts close to the board, has posted: "Earlier in the week I mentioned that maybe it wasnt DL who didnt want to spend, I was also told that MP wants to promote/use more of the youth…."

This may well be pro-Levy damage limitation for a fucked-up transfer window. But if we don't sign anyone and ship a few out, then it could be a big year for the likes of Foyth, CCV, KWP, Onomah, Winks and Skipp - if they can keep out of the treament room.

SC is currently in meltdown as the latest ITK suggests no incomings.

As part of this, ValenciaYid, who allegedly has contacts close to the board, has posted: "Earlier in the week I mentioned that maybe it wasnt DL who didnt want to spend, I was also told that MP wants to promote/use more of the youth…."

This may well be pro-Levy damage limitation for a fucked-up transfer window. But if we don't sign anyone and ship a few out, then it could be a big year for the likes of Foyth, CCV, KWP, Onomah, Winks and Skipp - if they can keep out of the treament room.

If Spurs do use some youth this season it will be an astute move - even if it hasn't been totally planned that way.

Reason is, and you may have read in this thread or indeed from most youth watchers, that many of the top PL clubs have lost a fair few youth to continental clubs in the last one or two years due to the youngsters not seeing any playing time/development at PL clubs - Jadon Sancho formerly at ManCity would be the best example, now tearing up the German league. The continental clubs have paid peanuts for the players and I think PL clubs will only realise their folly when the likes of Sancho is bought back by a PL club for £50m+. Spurs have lost a fair few players that way.

The obvious players who are PL ready would be KWP and CCV (although he might turn out to be a squad player), whilst Luke Amos (on pre-season) might step up and one who Poch discarded (I think on grounds of lack of pace) when Poch first came is LB/CB Connor Ogilvie but given Poch is now using Trippier/Davies rather than Walker/Rose it maybe that Poch would now compromise on fullbacks pace, so 22 year old Ogilvie could be a surprise (to many fans) squad addition after a few L1 loans.

Oliver Skipp impressed on pre-season but think he will be used sparingly as he's only 17 - vast potential though. Jamie Bowden also made a cameo appearance in pre-season and is similar in playing style to Skipp but probably a year or two behind in development even though only a couple of months separate them

Anthony Georgiou played ok in pre-season, but still some way to go in the LB position, not sure if he has enough to succeed art LW atm.

Josh Onomah is a bit of an enigma as Poch has never played him in his best position of CM, but if that happens (plus maybe Onomah bulking up a little) he could be another very good addition.

The likes of Edwards (if he stays), Tanganga (CB/LB) , Oakley Boothe (mid) Eyoma (CB/RB) all have potential but need further development - but could get there quite quickly with a little luck, whilst the likes of Sam Sashoua and Jack Roles still have much further to go if they are to get Poch's attention. Quite a few even younger who could be interesting in the future - Troy Parrott (striker) could be catching Poch eye next pre-season if he continues his very very impressive development as I'm guessing the first year will be leading u23 line by sometime after Christmas.

So lots to be cheerful about if Poch does bring some youth through.

If Spurs do use some youth this season it will be an astute move - even if it hasn't been totally planned that way.

Yup. Looks like our best young players will get some opportunities this season, and hopefully in their natural positions - ie Josh in central midfield, KWP at RB or RWB.

Ally Gold tweeted the following injury news:
Injury news: Wanyama - Gym-based rehabilitation for knee injury. Lamela – Short-term muscle injury. Foyth – Rehabilitation from thigh injury but still few weeks away. Winks and Onomah – Both back in training. Carter-Vickers – Early stages of rehabilitation for groin injury.

So, it looks like we're short for depth at CB with both Foyth and CCV likely out for several weeks. Although as long as we don't sell Toby to Europe we're very strong there with Davinson and Verts, and Poch must be considering three at the back with Trippier playing as a RWB to maximise his attacking opportunities.

But Winks & Onomah may soon be fit enough to be considered. And whilst Skipp in particular was impressive in pre-season, both HW & Josh should be ahead of Amos and Skipp for a CM berth once they're up to speed.

Last edited:
Yup. Looks like our best young players will get some opportunities this season, and hopefully in their natural positions - ie Josh in central midfield, KWP at RB or RWB.

Ally Gold tweeted the following injury news:
Injury news: Wanyama - Gym-based rehabilitation for knee injury. Lamela – Short-term muscle injury. Foyth – Rehabilitation from thigh injury but still few weeks away. Winks and Onomah – Both back in training. Carter-Vickers – Early stages of rehabilitation for groin injury.

So, it looks like we're short at CB with both Foyth and CCV likely out for several weeks.

But Winks & Onomah may soon be fit enough to be considered. And whilst Skipp in particular was impressive in pre-season, both HW & Josh should be ahead of Amos and Skipp for a CM berth once they're up to speed.

Yes a few injury issues, but Poch has options of covering them from within the main first team squad or with youth.

At CB - he can make piece with Aldereireld as he's possibly here until at least Christmas, move Davies to CB (bringing in Rose to LB or even KWP - although I'd like to think he'd also look at Ogilvie) or bring Dier back from DM.

At CM -In preseason he was playing more of a 433, so I could see Eriksen and Dele being pushed back to CM for that and as you say hopefully Winks and Onomah will back soon - and that's before considering giving minutes to Amos and Skipp or Oakley-Boothe.

Truth is we have a decent sized first team squad, so Poch is going to need to deliberately go out of his way to give youth some minutes and bring more through (I regard players as KWP and CCV as part of main stream squad now, no longer just 'youth') - so I will watch with interest to see if he does

Yes a few injury issues, but Poch has options of covering them from within the main first team squad or with youth.

At CB - he can make piece with Aldereireld as he's possibly here until at least Christmas, move Davies to CB (bringing in Rose to LB or even KWP - although I'd like to think he'd also look at Ogilvie) or bring Dier back from DM.

At CM -In preseason he was playing more of a 433, so I could see Eriksen and Dele being pushed back to CM for that and as you say hopefully Winks and Onomah will back soon - and that's before considering giving minutes to Amos and Skipp or Oakley-Boothe.

Truth is we have a decent sized first team squad, so Poch is going to need to deliberately go out of his way to give youth some minutes and bring more through (I regard players as KWP and CCV as part of main stream squad now, no longer just 'youth') - so I will watch with interest to see if he does

As we get our heads round what just happened (or rather didn't happen) in that transfer window, unless we have some late transfers or loan outside the PL, Toby, the Moose and Rose are all still at the club.

So, thinking it through, KWP is still fifth choice FB/WB and may even decide to push for a loan.

Like you, I suspected we were likely to move to a 4-3-3 but Toby staying changes things, especially if he signs a new contract. Toby/Davinson/Verts is the strongest CB group in the league, and you have to imagine Poch will consider three at the back with WBs.

However, with Dembele likely to play in selected games rather than every match, and Wanyama currently crocked, Winks and Onomah are likely to get opportunities and then it's up to them to prove to Poch that they really are a much better option than Sissoko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom