Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, for reference and time frame, I was in the group that had Steve Sedgley, Paul Moran and David Howels, so approx 1983-1986(??).

Steve Sedgely was an interesting one. 2 FA cup winners medals (91 one for us, 87 one against).

When we bought him back from Coventry, he looked at best a pretty average midfielder. Then in a match v Charlton at Selhurst, he was reshuffled into defence (someone got a red or was injured I think). We came from 0-1 down to win 3-1, he looked a completely different player in defence. Assured, calm, good passer, good tackler. I think it was him - with the crowd singing if you all hate the Arse clap your hands. He was running along on the pitch, clapping his hands behind his back as he went.

Howells was always popular as a lad coming through the youth. A lot of fans will remember him for a match at Forest (when they were winning trophies). He saved a last minute shot on the line, and then scored the winner. On MoTD:

Came 3rd that 89-90 season, best finish till 2017. Won the FA cup the following year. Normal service is resumed, eh? Bloody hell what a wait

Others can answer this much better than I ever could, there are some here who must have watched a ton of Academy matches and highlights.

In the distant past, I remember a lad from Northern Ireland, Mahon. Maybe El Tel's time. Supposedly the new George Best. He would probably have been the most hyped. Have no idea where he landed up. I hope not an alcoholic with someone else's liver.

I'll throw out a similar question - who in the past never made it, but with the current professional set up you think might well have? Bostock? Parrett? Rory Allen/Neale Fenn?

I have heard that the Academy in the past was very amateurish. A guy who was in both Spurs and Palace youth systems said Palace's was way, way better. Levy has played an absolute blinder with the new one. As Mr. Bus says, we now need Poch to match that with equivalent boldness and trust. The £60-70m that we've blown on some recent buys where we could have tried the yoof, well that's Zaha (although I have high hopes for Moura).

The fact Bostock has managed to half rebuild his career in Europe makes me think things could of been so different. He won Ligue 2 player of the year a couple years back and is now going to be playing in Ligue 1 with Toulouse I believe.

Fair play to him because it seemed he was heading straight for non-league.

For all the good he did, Harry never gave any of the youth setup a proper chance and those years of Kane, Carroll, Mason, Townsend, Bostock, Parret, Obika etc were probably the best we've had and will have for years.

Good question.

I played for our U15's through to U18's. (At least I think it was that age group but can't be 100% certain, it was also very sporadic in terms of game time etc. and I couldn't give a shit about playing for Spurs then, nothing to do with supporting them just that the football experience was shite. Also the answer to why I don't know exactly the age groups is a tad complicated on my side and Spurs side but can be simplified as purely not really engaging with the youth set-up at all, IMO it was shit, poorly run and organised with little in the way of training and development). Anyway, for reference and time frame, I was in the group that had Steve Sedgley, Paul Moran and David Howels, so approx 1983-1986(??). All of us and a bunch of others all played for our respective school sides (most in the Enfield Borough) and then the County. At this age we were also playing for a Saturday or Sunday league side too, so basically we would be playing with each other or against each other several times a month. This group was also extended by the Woolwich academy intake as well, you were either Woolwich or Tottenham.

Anyway there was this kid called Kyriakides (christ I hope I have his name right, it's all some time ago). My word, he was the greatest footballer I have ever seen! YES, I mean this. We are talking Messi levels of brilliance. When playing for his school or Saturday/Sunday league football (he was in several of the Saturday/Sunday league teams as me and the others) all you had to do was give him the ball and he will dribble around the entire oppo side and score. He played (actually kicked a ball) for Spurs about as much as me, infuriatingly not that often, but when he did, he would dribble around the entire oppo team too, so even against a higher calibre of player he could do it. He was the standout player in the Borough team but to my knowledge I don't recall him playing for the County. As a Woolwich supporter and combined with the shit show at Spurs academy, he ended up at Woolwich.

The main reason I name drop the above players is because I am fairly certain if you ask this question to them they will mention his name. Anyone that played football in this era and played at a reasonable level (best player at their school, involved with Tottenham or Woolwich academy, played Borough or County level) will mention his name. I'm still mates with a couple of pals from back then and after a couple of beers reminiscing about our youth, as sure as eggs are eggs, he will come up in conversation.

He had one major flaw though, he got into beer, fags and girls and enjoying the nights out (as we all did but he was on another level, he was off his head). He was never there for the start of any game, always turning up about half time. As he got older this just got worse and worse. Absolutely no one knows (in my circle) what happened to him but easily the biggest waste of talent I have ever seen. I could probably list another 7 or 8 players from that era who were all far superior players to those that made it (Howells, Moran and Sedgely for Spurs and Campbell & Rocastle for Woolwich). Moran was so, so shit (shit for his school, Albany) I don't know where to start but unlike almost all of us he had his heart set on being a footballer and fair play to him because that's exactly what he achieved.

Class story mate!

Always seems to be injuries or attitude that ruins them. I don’t see a lot of the academy but for me Phil ifil looked good everytime I seen him for spurs and England youth but I think he got injured and dropped through the leagues
At that age, it's almost certainly gonna be one or the other!
:pritchardeyes::bentley::gazza:

Looking back, the one that we let go - Graeme Souness... Can you imagine him and Hoddle in the same MF from 1975. We'd probably never had those awful wilderness years.... Losing Roy Keane (a big Spurs fan too) from Cobh Rangers to Forest because Scolar's ineptitude meant we couldn't afford the £30k fee. Urgh!!!!
Now I'm trying to imagine Roy Keane and Greame Souness in the SAME midfield!

It wouldn't have been "don't worry lads, it's only Tottenham..." it woulda been; "fucking hell lads, RUN..... it's TOTTENHAM!"

Steve Sedgely was an interesting one. 2 FA cup winners medals (91 one for us, 87 one against).

When we bought him back from Coventry, he looked at best a pretty average midfielder. Then in a match v Charlton at Selhurst, he was reshuffled into defence (someone got a red or was injured I think). We came from 0-1 down to win 3-1, he looked a completely different player in defence. Assured, calm, good passer, good tackler. I think it was him - with the crowd singing if you all hate the Arse clap your hands. He was running along on the pitch, clapping his hands behind his back as he went.

Howells was always popular as a lad coming through the youth. A lot of fans will remember him for a match at Forest (when they were winning trophies). He saved a last minute shot on the line, and then scored the winner. On MoTD:

Came 3rd that 89-90 season, best finish till 2017. Won the FA cup the following year. Normal service is resumed, eh? Bloody hell what a wait

Sedgely was a good player at youth level, best player for his school (went to the same school as Paul Moran, they were good mates) but he wasn't anything special above this level. At school and Borough he was a centre forward, I was CB. He was exceptionally physical but not all that skilful, used to love playing against him, he never scored a goal against us :) and yeah that's a bit pathetic because he went on and played for Spurs and I didn't but it's all I've got haha. Met him at WHL a few years back, to be honest not sure he remembered me, although he was nodding and going along with it. LOL. But bleeds Spurs, always has.

Howels whilst not the most technical of players he probably was the most consistent and dependable, in that he was strong and very hard to get the ball off him, he was so intelligent, always in the right place both with or without the ball but above all, he was head and shoulders above everyone in terms of fitness. I seem to remember him being a cross country champion or something, he came into his own in the last 20mins when everyone else was slowing he was at the same level as the first 10mins. He was also quite serious, also focused. I didn't spend a lot of time with him and he certainly wasn't in the local school boy scene. He was arguably favourite of the youth coaches and probably played without ever being subbed off/rotated.

Completely agree, he was a very competent CB by far his best position.

I didn't spend a lot of time with him and he certainly wasn't in the local school boy scene. He was arguably favourite of the youth coaches and probably played without ever being subbed off/rotated.

Completely agree, he was a very competent CB by far his best position.

SUCH a shame Wenger has left ArseAnal, or else the headlines write themselves!!

Who’s the best academy player that’s never made it that you’ve all seen for spurs?

There's probably been a few over the years, but anyone else old enough to remember Alistair Dick. Early eighties. He was meant to be mustard, and at the time of his debut around 81/82/83(a game I was at) was the youngest ever Spurs player (16yo). He made a sub appearance in our 84 UEFA cup final. He made a handful of appearances, then went to Ajax, was really unlucky with injuries, made a handful of appearances for them, then ended up in places like Australia and South Africa I think.

Good question.

I played for our U15's through to U18's. (At least I think it was that age group but can't be 100% certain, it was also very sporadic in terms of game time etc. and I couldn't give a shit about playing for Spurs then, nothing to do with supporting them just that the football experience was shite. Also the answer to why I don't know exactly the age groups is a tad complicated on my side and Spurs side but can be simplified as purely not really engaging with the youth set-up at all, IMO it was shit, poorly run and organised with little in the way of training and development). Anyway, for reference and time frame, I was in the group that had Steve Sedgley, Paul Moran and David Howels, so approx 1983-1986(??). All of us and a bunch of others all played for our respective school sides (most in the Enfield Borough) and then the County. At this age we were also playing for a Saturday or Sunday league side too, so basically we would be playing with each other or against each other several times a month. This group was also extended by the Woolwich academy intake as well, you were either Woolwich or Tottenham.

Anyway there was this kid called Kyriakides (christ I hope I have his name right, it's all some time ago). My word, he was the greatest footballer I have ever seen! YES, I mean this. We are talking Messi levels of brilliance. When playing for his school or Saturday/Sunday league football (he was in several of the Saturday/Sunday league teams as me and the others) all you had to do was give him the ball and he will dribble around the entire oppo side and score. He played (actually kicked a ball) for Spurs about as much as me, infuriatingly not that often, but when he did, he would dribble around the entire oppo team too, so even against a higher calibre of player he could do it. He was the standout player in the Borough team but to my knowledge I don't recall him playing for the County. As a Woolwich supporter and combined with the shit show at Spurs academy, he ended up at Woolwich.

The main reason I name drop the above players is because I am fairly certain if you ask this question to them they will mention his name. Anyone that played football in this era and played at a reasonable level (best player at their school, involved with Tottenham or Woolwich academy, played Borough or County level) will mention his name. I'm still mates with a couple of pals from back then and after a couple of beers reminiscing about our youth, as sure as eggs are eggs, he will come up in conversation.

He had one major flaw though, he got into beer, fags and girls and enjoying the nights out (as we all did but he was on another level, he was off his head). He was never there for the start of any game, always turning up about half time. As he got older this just got worse and worse. Absolutely no one knows (in my circle) what happened to him but easily the biggest waste of talent I have ever seen. I could probably list another 7 or 8 players from that era who were all far superior players to those that made it (Howells, Moran and Sedgely for Spurs and Campbell & Rocastle for Woolwich). Moran was so, so shit (shit for his school, Albany) I don't know where to start but unlike almost all of us he had his heart set on being a footballer and fair play to him because that's exactly what he achieved.
That's one cracking insight into our Youth set-ups of the past...
Today's lot don't know how lucky they are!

Incidentally Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 , did you appear in any of the Spurs handbooks at the time you were in and out of the youth team?
'cos I seem to remember they covered the youth players pretty extensively, and you just KNOW that most of us will be scouring our old copies looking for this promising, highly rated "Guido" lad, of whom great things were expected for the club!

There's probably been a few over the years, but anyone else old enough to remember Alistair Dick. Early eighties. He was meant to be mustard, and at the time of his debut around 81/82/83(a game I was at) was the youngest ever Spurs player (16yo). He made a sub appearance in our 84 UEFA cup final. He made a handful of appearances, then went to Ajax, was really unlucky with injuries, made a handful of appearances for them, then ended up in places like Australia and South Africa I think.
A certain Ally Dick was at the scene during that time. Are we talking about the same Dick? :deledoubt:
We produced some very decent attacking youth players such as Glenn Hoddle, Mick Hazard and Mark Falco in the eighties. Then the next two decades we stopped producing them and rolled out top defenders instead.

WindyCOYS WindyCOYS I was very confused by your youth update on the pod this week, did Flav fuck it up and use an old recording? lol - you were speaking as if Luke Amos was still on loan at Stevenage and talking about an U21 England tournament? It was bizarre...

That's one cracking insight into our Youth set-ups of the past...
Today's lot don't know how lucky they are!

Incidentally Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 , did you appear in any of the Spurs handbooks at the time you were in and out of the youth team?
'cos I seem to remember they covered the youth players pretty extensively, and you just KNOW that most of us will be scouring our old copies looking for this promising, highly rated "Guido" lad, of whom great things were expected for the club!
No Idea mate. It was such a weird experience. Loved the Club as a supporter, loved playing football but the two combined never clicked. I was so disinterested. Got all my enjoyment from my other teams I played for. If anyone is familiar with football trials, where you were given 10mins of playing time in a team where no-one passed to each other because they were all trying to make their 10mins count, it was constantly like this.

This is just my account though. Also, I never thought for a second that I'd make it as a footballer, I was there because I want to play a game of football, not become a player. Think that's the biggest reason why my experience wasn't great. In hindsight I could have done with an arm around the shoulder and someone explain what could be possible if I applied myself or did x, y or z.

WindyCOYS WindyCOYS I was very confused by your youth update on the pod this week, did Flav fuck it up and use an old recording? lol - you were speaking as if Luke Amos was still on loan at Stevenage and talking about an U21 England tournament? It was bizarre...
It's been replaced now by this week's - sorry about that.

I remember being at Luton for a 4-2 win, Ally Dick scored a decent goal. We all thought he looked rather good.

Dj8QmeoXoAI5AYo.jpg

just a reminder of our new first years

Is Binks a midfielder? Can we have a potential future midfield pairing of Winks and binks?

Binks has always played CB as far as I know, but a change between CB and DM are not unknown - but with Oliver Skipp (now Academy Year 2 but played u23's last season and first team preseason games) and Jamie Bowden (now Academy Year 2, played u18's last season, sub in last first team pre-season game) plus a few others (including Harvey White on that list of Academy Year 1) I'd guess we probably have decent DM prospects to play alongside Winks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom