Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see both your points Totti Totti and Spursidol Spursidol .

But he has proved already that he can nail Under 23 level. I'd like to see him get a lot of mins in the League Cup at Spam. And he is very good for his age. If Dean Smith was still in charge at Brentford, would have been a good loan.

I see both your points Totti Totti and Spursidol Spursidol .

But he has proved already that he can nail Under 23 level. I'd like to see him get a lot of mins in the League Cup at Spam. And he is very good for his age. If Dean Smith was still in charge at Brentford, would have been a good loan.

Yes, but he's 18 years old. Just because he's played a season at U23 level doesn't mean he's ready to START first team games, especially in the Premier League, that's ridiculous. What he needs at that age is game time. He isn't going to get that with Wanyama, Dier, Winks, Dembele, Dele, Eriksen and Sissoko etc. all in front of him (Who have all played central midfield this season) and I wouldn't expect him to. All those mentioned are international footballers who all have 100+ senior mens appearances to their name, nor did ANY of them start Premier League games consistently at 18 years old (With the exception of Dele who we signed for £5,000,000).

He SHOULD get game time against West Ham. He'll likely be in the team with NKoudou, KWP, Foyth and other players who will barely start any more than 3 games this season due to the fixture being 2 days after Man City - I also hope we get a lower league team in the FA Cup 3rd round so he can play a part.

Last thing I'm suggesting is to start in front of that lot unless we have a ridiculous amount of injuries. I think he could benefit from a loan where he's playing hardened pros in Champ or League 1. He has good control and can find the best pass very quickly, so I don't think he'd be out of his depth.

I doubt no one seeing as all away fans are having to collect their tickets for tonights game in person +3hrs before the game. The queue is apparently over almost 2hrs long, with only 2 PSV staff members dealing with handing out over 3k tickets!!! Farce.
They should have read How to win friends and influence people. Instead of How to be twats and annoy football fans unnecessarily and then complain when there's trouble

It's about playing games. How can his development be any good by NOT playing games?

He is NOT going to be starting games for us in the Premier League consistently. He isn't world class. He isn't a game changer. He is Oliver Skipp, a highly talented 18 year old who trains with the first team. Harry Kane couldn't get game time at 18. Harry Winks and Josh Onomah never started games for us at 18. Marcus Edwards, regarded as one of our best youth talent prospects in decades, couldn't start games for us at 18 years old. Nothing that Poch has ever done with us suggests Skipp will get that either.

I don't think we have any issue with Skipp wanting to leave. I'm sure he's probably happy enough at 18 years old to be training with a Champions League level team. Whilst I commend the likes of Sancho for going abroad to get game time, the kids should NOT be calling the shots. If he wants to leave because he doesn't see a path? Than screw him quite frankly. Biding his time, continuing to learn and working hard will see him get his chances if he's good enough. I'm glad Kane and Winks didn't have that same mentality and I am certainly glad KWP doesn't seem to have that mentality either despite being given even LESS chances than those mentioned.

In fact, move away from Tottenham - how many 18 year olds academy footballers are being given chances by ANY top club in Europe right now?

This line about chances if good enough just doesn't really wash any more, does it? It's like a different criteria of wonderfulness seems to have to apply to academy players than some of the dross that teams buy. Plenty of kids are good enough to be getting more minutes than they are getting, more small chances than they are getting. It's like a catch 22, players need game time to prove they are ready and can fulfil some kind of remit, but if they don't get it, people still say they aren't ready. I can't really remember the last time I saw a very promising academy player let their team down badly (or any worse than senior players). We seem happy to tolerate purchases making mistake after mistake, or at least being far from perfect, but won't countenance the possibility of a kid making a mistake on first team duty - that would apparently be a catastrophe? Was Sancho really not ready to get minutes, even for a team as good as City ? Was he 70m less use than Mahrez will be to them?

It's like the job we ask Dier or Sissoko to do requires the tactical genius that is way beyond Amos, Marsh or Skipp. These kids have been coached by the same coach on the same pitch, playing with the same players. If they haven't got the savvy of Sissoko, they may as well quit now.

With regards to Skipp - or any academy player - I think if he's just training with the first team and not getting to play any U23/U19 games at all and not getting on the first team bench (a bit like KWP for a year or two) that isn't great. But I think it's a slightly different issue if he's actually making the first team bench because not only will he feel like he is progressing and getting "nearer" but there is actually a small chance that he will get some first team minutes, and that could be absolutely massive in his development and ultimate integration. If he does come on for 10-20 minutes (even 30) and actually doesn't look out of place - he's effectively taken a giant step toward the next stage of integration.

The ideal is training with the first team, getting bench time with a few sub minutes here and there, whilst also paying the odd full u23 and u19 game to keep up match fitness levels etc isn't it ?

Unfortunately didn't catch any of it, but Onomah played full 90 for ShefWed on Tuesday, and I know this is just a collection of stat algorithms, but he received whoscored's top rating for SheffW (7.6) which is pretty hard to do when you don't score or assist etc. 64 passes, 90%, 2 key passes. Again, hard to judge just on umbers, but they at least suggest he was heavily involved. Although they lost they had 63% possession, so sounds a bit like a they were a bit unlucky, maybe? If anyone comes across a link let us know, wouldn't mind watching it.

Unfortunately didn't catch any of it, but Onomah played full 90 for ShefWed on Tuesday, and I know this is just a collection of stat algorithms, but he received whoscored's top rating for SheffW (7.6) which is pretty hard to do when you don't score or assist etc. 64 passes, 90%, 2 key passes. Again, hard to judge just on umbers, but they at least suggest he was heavily involved. Although they lost they had 63% possession, so sounds a bit like a they were a bit unlucky, maybe? If anyone comes across a link let us know, wouldn't mind watching it.

From some Sheff Wed fans:

Apparently he put in a very good ball at one point though and their player missed from 6 yards out - so could have had an assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom