Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spurs u18 away to Wham on Saturday in u18 league. Team will probably mainly be academy year 1 players maybe with a couple of u16s

Spurs u19 at home to Bayern on Tuesday in UEFA Youth League. Team will probably be made up of Academy Year 2 players with a couple of younger Development squad members.

Last edited:
U23 coach Wayne Burnett is usually a banker (sorry typo,) to lose many matches. Been going on for as long as he's been in charge

Could do with a change !

I honestly don't know much about Burnett, I rarely ever get to watch U23's any more, the odd one of two games here and there, most of the academy games I watch these days are the CL U19 games because they are always on TV. But I do remember having these conversations about Ehiogu too. I think the U23's are always a bit of a miss mash, kids being fast tracked, kids being played out of position to develop their weaknesses, kids we seem to have kept around because we don't know what else to do with them, teams selected to "challenge" the individuals etc etc

We know McDermott thinks very little of results, and tailors programs to develop the individuals, but it's all pretty moot if your manager doesn't have the balls to use them.

Spurs u18 away to Wham on Saturday in u18 league. Team will probably mainly be academy year 1 players maybe with a couple of u16s

Spurs u19 at home to Bayern on Tuesday in UEFA Youth League. Team will probably be made up of Academy Year 2 players with a couple of younger Development squad members.
Jordan Hackett is in the squad tomorrow and I assume Dane Scarlett will be involved as well.

I don't blame Burnett entirely but he has an appalling record.
The under 23 league is just a waste of time. Brighton 14 players out on loan. We have nowhere near that. Dan Ashworth ex England youth supremo is director of football there and is no doubt behind those loans. Players just stagnate playing in these games. We are keeping players for far too long. As have said previously it’s probably just so we can field teams in this league and the under 19.
Need a younger coach.

CLARKE Season LEEDS (C)bench
AMOS Season QPR (C)not in squad
CCV Season STOKE (C)90 mins yesterday 2-3
GEORGIOU (til Jan) IPSWICH (L1)bench
STERLING SeasonDONCASTER (L1)Injured
MARSH (til Jan) ORIENT (L2)starts
ROLES (til Jan)CAMBRIDGE (L2)starts

I don't blame Burnett entirely but he has an appalling record.

Who else would you blame ?

I could comment that as a general point that imo the quality of youth squads is not as good as the squads maybe 10 years ago when we had Mason, Townsend and quite a few other decent players coming through.

Difficult to put into words but my sense is we seem to have fewer top quality prospects ( maybe an average of 2 per year group now maybe 4 in the past) and more " decent average" players - nothing wrong with them but unlikely to ever be quite good enough for Spurs first team consideration.

Think it would be really difficult to go through recent squads to prove that kind of point. But the fact that we almost seem to have only one decent LB prospect coming through (Cirkin) and one decent RB (Hinds) over say a 3 or 4 year period maybe illustrates it ( btw not including this seasons year 1 as we don't know enough about them). And ditto at say AM - maybe Roles and Bennett are the only real standouts ?

Or is that me with rose tinted glasses looking back ?

Either way I don't think the player point explains the loss at Brighton ?

Last edited:
CLARKE Season LEEDS (C)bench
AMOS Season QPR (C)not in squad
CCV Season STOKE (C)90 mins yesterday 2-3
GEORGIOU (til Jan) IPSWICH (L1)bench
STERLING SeasonDONCASTER (L1)Injured
MARSH (til Jan) ORIENT (L2)starts
ROLES (til Jan)CAMBRIDGE (L2)starts

Amos out injured, might be back next weekend or shortly after that with luck

This is the team that Mason picked versus Olympiacos in the first round of UEFA Youth League, which drew 1-1 in what were hot conditions (4 water breaks given) in Greece :

Oluwayemi
Lyons-Foster, Eyoma, Binks, White
Bowden, Maghoma
Clarke, Markanday, Richards
Parrott​

Subs: Kurylowocz, Lusala, Mathew Craig, Robson, Asante, Etete, Whittaker.

Oluwayemi, Robson, Asante, Whittaker started on Saturday in u18 match, whilst Binks, Eyoma, Bowden and Richards started on Friday for u23's

I could see a couple of the players who started in the u18 match (and who were subs in Olympiacos match) being rotated to ensure if we needed to bring any of them early, that we have some fresher legs available, but other than that, we might start with the same X1 - although I'd love Cirkin back at LB and Lloyd-Bennett back as an AM, but both might be still on the injured list

This is the team that Mason picked versus Olympiacos in the first round of UEFA Youth League, which drew 1-1 in what were hot conditions (4 water breaks given) in Greece :

Oluwayemi
Lyons-Foster, Eyoma, Binks, White
Bowden, Maghoma
Clarke, Markanday, Richards
Parrott​

Subs: Kurylowocz, Lusala, Mathew Craig, Robson, Asante, Etete, Whittaker.

Oluwayemi, Robson, Asante, Whittaker started on Saturday in u18 match, whilst Binks, Eyoma, Bowden and Richards started on Friday for u23's

I could see a couple of the players who started in the u18 match (and who were subs in Olympiacos match) being rotated to ensure if we needed to bring any of them early, that we have some fresher legs available, but other than that, we might start with the same X1 - although I'd love Cirkin back at LB and Lloyd-Bennett back as an AM, but both might be still on the injured list
Cirkin is still in rehabilitation, but Bennett is back in full training, so it’s a matter of time before he’s back in a match-day squad. I would not be surprised if he is in the 18 for the Bayern game.

Is Ryan Mason just in charge of the under 19 team. Presumably he assists for the other age groups during the week. Could he take over from Burnett next season ?

Is Ryan Mason just in charge of the under 19 team. Presumably he assists for the other age groups during the week. Could he take over from Burnett next season ?

Ryan Mason is coaching the u19 team, but McDermott is usually in attendance to help "coach the coach" so it might not be until the end of this season that we really get a clear understanding as to how good a coach that Mason is - worth recalling this is his first ever coaching job.

It's quite likely he helps coach other age groups plus watches development squad and u18s and u16s as he draws the Youth League squad from these groups and he's still probably getting to know all the players plus he is probably taking coaching badges - but this is conjecture I've never seen anything saying what Mason does when the u19s don't have a scheduled match. But there are only ,,6 group stage matches before Christmas so he has to do something !

Anything is possible for Mason next season atm. What is likely is impossible to say.

But Spurs do need to do something with the 18 - 21 age group to include some sort of u23 side plus a loan system supervised by a coach assessing and helping the players on loan, so a couple of coaches plus one or two to set up and help with loans of maybe a dozen players each year. I'm hoping the association with Brondeby is one of those steps. and at the other end there has to be a better transition to first team - although atm Poch does seem to be hanging Parrott and Tanganga and Whiteman at first team training, but if they are not playing with the first team ( which is likely) they do need to play some games whilst training, and the games is the bit not happening atm.

Worth adding we have around 30 players this season in the Development squad so it's a sizeable operation to manage, and clearly it's not being appropriately managed atm.

Last edited:
1. OLUWAYEMI
2. LUSALA
3. WHITE
4. BOWDEN(c)
5. EYOMA
6.BINKS
7. MARKANDAY
8. TOB
9.RICHARDS
10. PARROTT
11. MAGHOMA

Last edited:
0-1 already. Good FK hits bar and Eyoma among those slow to react and Zirkzee hits rebound into empty net.
Instead of claiming offside White should have closed the BM man down. 0-2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom