Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Former Spur Josh Onomah scores first goal for Fulham with a great strike from just inside the box. He's taken some stick from Fulham fans for his early performances but has been one of the best performers in a couple of recent matches....and now a goal which might lift his confidence.

Even better than the goal, it's really great to hear the Fulham commentator say he thinks Onomah has been their best performer the last couple of games.

Also good to see Parker showing bit of faith in him and also playing him in midfield.

Any of us that watched him a lot as a kid know that he's the type of player that needs regular football and to played in the right structure in a team that wants to play football. He's not a jack of all, neat and tidy, steady Eddy, Winks type of footballer.

We completely fucked up Onomah's development. 20 minutes of Pl football in three years, and a couple of ad hoc cup games as a winger, while we watched Moussa fucking Sissoko play hide and point for three years. Pisses me right off.

Even better than the goal, it's really great to hear the Fulham commentator say he thinks Onomah has been their best performer the last couple of games.

Also good to see Parker showing bit of faith in him and also playing him in midfield.

Any of us that watched him a lot as a kid know that he's the type of player that needs regular football and to played in the right structure in a team that wants to play football. He's not a jack of all, neat and tidy, steady Eddy, Winks type of footballer.

We completely fucked up Onomah's development. 20 minutes of Pl football in three years, and a couple of ad hoc cup games as a winger, while we watched Moussa fucking Sissoko play hide and point for three years. Pisses me right off.

The big screw up was to play Onomah on the wing - in Spurs youth set up he was always a CM.

So I get the idea of moving him around to see if he's better elsewhere but she. It was obvious that he wasn't better as a winger the obvious answer is to put him back to where he was good.....but that never happened.

Reminder of who is out on loan. CCV not in squad again today and seems doomed. Sterling is back at Spurs with an unusual injury. Georgiou has not forced his way into the side and has only been playing a few minutes here and there.
Only success it seems is Amos. Was subbed off late today but QPR were leading.
Roles is not starting (but still scoring) 😂

LOAN CLUB
CLARKE SeasonLEEDS (C)
AMOS SeasonQPR (C)
CCV SeasonSTOKE (C)
GEORGIOU (til Jan)IPSWICH (L1)
STERLING SeasonDONCASTER (L1)
MARSH (til Jan)ORIENT (L2)
ROLES (til Jan)CAMBRIDGE (L2)

Forgot to mention George Marsh who has been regularly starting for the Os.

Onomah wasn't good enough for us. Our level is extremely high, and most talented players will fall short. But we fucked up his development all the same, no doubt about that.

Sissoko isnt, but we’ve had to watch him chug about our midfield for three years like a stewed prune caught in the vortex a moulinez hairdryer.

That’s the point. I’d rather have watched Onomah learn on job for peanuts, than that numpty for 30m and 90k pw, because at least there would have been some potential in upside with Onomah.

Using what we’ve watched as our midfield for the last couple of years as a yardstick, it’s not that Onomah wasn’t good enough, it’s that he wasn’t ready. I saw Onomah do better things as an 18yo than I’ve ever seen Sissoko do (and I’ve watched Sissoko since he was 18 to 30) but we failed as a club to develop that potential. Where Sissoko got 200 games at Toulouse, Onomah got 20 minutes. As a winger.

Sissoko isnt, but we’ve had to watch him chug about our midfield for three years like a stewed prune caught in the vortex a moulinez hairdryer.

That’s the point. I’d rather have watched Onomah learn on job for peanuts, than that numpty for 30m and 90k pw, because at least there would have been some potential in upside with Onomah.

Using what we’ve watched as our midfield for the last couple of years as a yardstick, it’s not that Onomah wasn’t good enough, it’s that he wasn’t ready. I saw Onomah do better things as an 18yo than I’ve ever seen Sissoko do (and I’ve watched Sissoko since he was 18 to 30) but we failed as a club to develop that potential. Where Sissoko got 200 games at Toulouse, Onomah got 20 minutes. As a winger.

Harsh on Sissoko but fair in terms of strategy;

If we need 90/100 in this position and Onomah was 60 going on more, what was the point of paying 30m for a player capable of barely more than 70-75?

Our transfer strategy is a mess, god knows where we would be without Kane.

Onomah was given his chance and he didn't take it.

He really wasn’t. In three years as part of the first team squad he was given 20 minutes of PL football in the proper first team and a handful of ad hoc starts in make shift teams - out of position - in cup games.

That’s not creating the best environment for a young player to develop, that’s making it as difficult as you can for him to feel comfortable and able to develop and show his best.

And there was a season - 16-17 - where he was sat on the bench and we were 3 and 4 nil up in games and Pochettino could have brought him in and given him 30 minutes in his natural position playing with strong players like Wanyama or Dembele - but he was left sat there twiddling his thumbs.

Whilst Poch was happy to give Sissoko - a player he’d bought - a whole season of shitting the bed on the pitch to achieve the level of barely meh ineptitude that we have had for the subsequent two years.

Complete double standard and failure on Pochettino’s part. If he doesn’t trust him, even at 3-0 up with 20-30 minutes to go, then why have on the bench for three years. Send him on loan.

And, again, find him a clever loan. Actually put some thought into what/where is going to get the best out of him. Not sending him to teams that are a complete mismatch for his skill set.

Why invest 10+ years in coaching and preparing these kids only to fuck up the crucial last 3.

So happy to see him getting minutes.

He really wasn’t. In three years as part of the first team squad he was given 20 minutes of PL football in the proper first team and a handful of ad hoc starts in make shift teams - out of position - in cup games.

That’s not creating the best environment for a young player to develop, that’s making it as difficult as you can for him to feel comfortable and able to develop and show his best.

And there was a season - 16-17 - where he was sat on the bench and we were 3 and 4 nil up in games and Pochettino could have brought him in and given him 30 minutes in his natural position playing with strong players like Wanyama or Dembele - but he was left sat there twiddling his thumbs.

Whilst Poch was happy to give Sissoko - a player he’d bought - a whole season of shitting the bed on the pitch to achieve the level of barely meh ineptitude that we have had for the subsequent two years.

Complete double standard and failure on Pochettino’s part. If he doesn’t trust him, even at 3-0 up with 20-30 minutes to go, then why have on the bench for three years. Send him on loan.

And, again, find him a clever loan. Actually put some thought into what/where is going to get the best out of him. Not sending him to teams that are a complete mismatch for his skill set.

Why invest 10+ years in coaching and preparing these kids only to fuck up the crucial last 3.

I can understand why people are asking question of this industry.

This level of asset managment in finance, building or retail would be rewarded with immediate punishment.

New owners, many from abroad (and I am not thinking Liverpool, Chelsea, City and other sugar-daddy clubs) may be a good thing for the industry.

I suppose it is little comfort for Josh that Spurs are not the only club fucking up this like this.

It was just a shame Onomah popped through when we had Dembele and Wanyama as a midfield two.

Then got injury problems.

Whether or not the rumours of his attitude are true or not we won't know - but things never quite recovered for him after a certain point.

Got a feeling if he was still here, Mourinho MAY have liked what he had seen. Good size, strong on the ball and come through the ranks. Could have been seen as abit like our "McTominay"

Still hard to reconcile the gaping omission of Skipp - even from the bench - from the side whilst we watch the likes of Sissoko and Dier crash around like drunken elephants game after game.

Agreed given that Skipp made decent cameos against Bayern Munich and Wolves earlier this month - surprised he hasn't continued to keep a place onn the bench.

Its possible that JM felt he had to give Tanganga a turn on the bench today, and didn't want two relatively inexperienced players on the bench. However with Winks and Sissoko out of the game at the weekend, I hope JM includes Skipp somewhere in the squad, although I suspect JM will start Dier with Skipp being on the bench..

I reckon Skipp is heading out on loan. Not sure why that would mean he isn't on the bench late December but could be a reason.

Onomah is not yet even close to a top six EPL club player, he had chance after chance and simply wasn't good enough, he's doing OK for Fulham which is a slightly lower level ... and good luck to the lad. Trying to reinvent the past and claim that somehow he is top tier standard ... on past performances that's nonsense.

Most young players will go the same way - across the EPL there are some 3,000 academy players, perhaps 1 in 200 will make it to the very top level - that means for every King, Hoddle and Kane there will be 199 Onomah, Skipp, CCV, Daniels, Smith, Bentaleb, Pritchard, Oxford, Fredericks, Bennetts, etc. good players who will make a living kicking a ball but will never grace the very top table ....

Comparing players at academy level to EPL regulars with 200+ appearances is plain stupid - Sissoko and Dier on their worst days (and they have had a few) are light-years in front of all our academy players there is simply no sensible comparison - Skipp, Marsh, Georgiou, Roles, Sterling, Amos, White, Copper, Pedder, Cesay, Robson, Carrington, Alonso, John, Craig, Mundle all MF academy players all have a huge mountain to climb to reach even championship level, the very real scenario is that none of them will ever make the EPL ... but let's hope there is a diamond in there somewhere.

In 20 years our academy has produced just 19 players who have made 25+ EPL appearances, and our academy is one of the very best .... to even pretend that there are half a dozen players in this year's batch who will make the grade is plain stupid ... if we're lucky one will step up per year Parrott? Skipp? Tanganga? Bennett? Maghoma? who knows ...

The absurd level of expectation placed on these kids is crazy - Onomah playing at championship level with Fulham is a superb achievement, it puts him in the top 10% of professional players, the fact he hasn't made the top 5% shouldn't undervalue just how good he is ... just not quite good enough (yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom