Spurs Youth 2021/22

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Born in Paris and brought up in Hainault, Essex, goalkeeper Thimothee Lo-Tutala attended and was Head Boy at The Forest Academy.

He has a keen interest in rowing and swimming.

A fluent French speaker,
he previously represented Brentford.

Aha!!! Bit of spying going on, maybe.

We gained a few players when Brentford closed their academy in (I think 2016).

We gained a few players when Brentford closed their academy in (I think 2016).
I might try and find out.

A Spurs supporting mate for the last year or so has been living with a lady whose son used to be at the Brentford academy. When it closed he moved to QPR and a few months ago was one of the few awarded a scholarship there, so is seen as one of the most likely to succeed (with all the caveats, 2% etc). Seems a bright kid, well grounded, so his opinion on his ex-Academy mates there might be worth finding out.

(Oooh!!!! A chance to be an ITK!!! I'll have to try and re-join Spurs Community)

:ap:

This article (from 2018) drops quite a lot of names of where Brentford players went
Thanks for that.
You can see how many of those kids who just never made it, although a couple I googled are still in the game.
So the money was saved..but they lost Mitchell to Palace and how much is he worth?

Thanks for that.
You can see how many of those kids who just never made it, although a couple I googled are still in the game.
So the money was saved..but they lost Mitchell to Palace and how much is he worth?

I'm not sure Brentford have got much benefit from closing their academy.

I think they thought that with so much competition in London for youngsters (closest neighbours QPR and Fulham I guess, with Chelsea not too far away as is Spurs and Woolwich) that they were not getting a great crop of youngsters. However I'd guess they've had a fair few decent prospects - and as we know its only the top 1% or 2% likely to make it from those that start aged around 10 years old or less, and even at kids in the academy aged 16 or 17 even one player a year making it is a decent haul.

So I think the bet very simply was that they could pick up a lot of discarded youngsters from Chelsea, Spurs Woolwich and others at aged 18 and more easily polish up those players rather than doing all the heavy lifting on the younger ages which would have a lower average 'quality' intake.

A couple of Spurs youngsters such as Paris Maghoma (E u18) have gone there as he thought he wasn't getting enough recognition at Spurs, but not sure they've succeeded with too many youngsters like him who they picked up from larger clubs. And they did lose a few decent players when they closed their academy (Timothee Lo-Tutala being perhaps the best prospect).

Now they are in the PL where playing standards are higher the chances of our discarded youngsters being good enough at Brentford doesn't seem a good bet, and neither did it seem to work when they were in Championship. So not sure where they go from here !

Where Brentford have done well is scouting in the lower leagues to pick up the likes of Olli Watkins and Ivan Toney at knock down prices and selling on several of them - so nothing to do with their youth strategy !

I'm not sure Brentford have got much benefit from closing their academy.

I think they thought that with so much competition in London for youngsters (closest neighbours QPR and Fulham I guess, with Chelsea not too far away as is Spurs and Woolwich) that they were not getting a great crop of youngsters. However I'd guess they've had a fair few decent prospects - and as we know its only the top 1% or 2% likely to make it from those that start aged around 10 years old or less, and even at kids in the academy aged 16 or 17 even one player a year making it is a decent haul.

So I think the bet very simply was that they could pick up a lot of discarded youngsters from Chelsea, Spurs Woolwich and others at aged 18 and more easily polish up those players rather than doing all the heavy lifting on the younger ages which would have a lower average 'quality' intake.

A couple of Spurs youngsters such as Paris Maghoma (E u18) have gone there as he thought he wasn't getting enough recognition at Spurs, but not sure they've succeeded with too many youngsters like him who they picked up from larger clubs. And they did lose a few decent players when they closed their academy (Timothee Lo-Tutala being perhaps the best prospect).

Now they are in the PL where playing standards are higher the chances of our discarded youngsters being good enough at Brentford doesn't seem a good bet, and neither did it seem to work when they were in Championship. So not sure where they go from here !

Worth clarifying that they launched a B team model. I believe they've brought a couple of players into their first team squad as a consequence. I think it was a very smart move from them in my humble opinion.

This article (from 2018) drops quite a lot of names of where Brentford players went
Thanks for posting

I haven't done the Maths on how much it was costing them, how much it saved, what they lost on resales etc

From a height of 10,000 feet it seems a success: they have got promotion to the PL and with a squad/team that is safe first season up. That's a first for them in the PL (when football was invented of course), or the first time since WWII (?) in the top division.

A lot of that is to do with the manager. He comes across very well, plays a decent brand of football, connects well with players and fans.

I suppose my take on it: either system can work for you. It's getting the implementation right that is the important thing.

Cheltenham - lose last home match of season but assured of highest ever finish. KE mentioned in BBC website, creating a big chance...

At the other end, Alfie May brought out the best in on-loan Manchester City goalkeeper James Trafford after a fine through ball from Kion Etete as it remained goalless at the break.

Back
Top Bottom